• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Fungus Gnats Softened?

PaulG

eXtreme
I found a few FG's buzzing around. I have seen so many references to fungus gnats in threads on THP I decided to google 'em and came up with this. I'm sure some of you have seen it, but can't remember seeing any reference to this in the threads I've read. Anyway, the discussion about the article/post is just as interesting to read as the post itself. From Washington State University:

https://sharepoint.c...ing-sheet-.aspx

This is part of the post, describing one of the volatile compounds, linalool:

Well, there you have it. Linalool is a monoterpene alcohol found in lavender, basil, and coriander, and is known to be toxic to mites and insects.

I think this is why the biointensive gardeners like to companion plant peppers and basil. I have done it in the past, and it seem to suit the plants fine. I'm going to do it again this year when I plant out. I may do the same with some cilantro according to the above description. I like to plant marigolds in my tomato containers, so why not some basil and cilantro in the larger pepper containers, and in some pots around the smaller containers. Bonus; you get herbs and fungus gnat control!

I use pickle juice (in glass jars) to reduce the problem (they die well)...... dont use soap. It will nuke your plants....

Paul that is a great read. How big of a container do you have to grow basil and peppers in the same contsiner? Basil roots are ridiculous.

I use pickle juice (in glass jars) to reduce the problem (they die well)...... dont use soap. It will nuke your plants....

yeah I tried that and the plants did not like it, but they made a quick recovery..

I have a big container of basil around that is growing huge and really fast in my grow tent, and that along with the mosquito dunks I use when watering.. letting the soil dry out as best as possible (although with the humidity it doesn't seem to matter too to much) and having a little water dish with some vinigar/soap, and stuck some mosquito dunk stuff in there... ANDD the HID light that has the cool tube kills them when they fly in towards the light lol.

but all of that and there are still gnats around, but not as bad as before... I will just keep on watering with the dunks until I plant out.. they were really bad at one point.

that is interesting about the cilantro though, I think I will maybe give that a shot, I have a bunch of seeds I could sprinkle on the outside of the rows and of the peppers... but when they go outside its not really a problem since we have so many ladybugs and stuff around

interesting to me that it is supposed to work on mites as well... i have seen both basil and cilantro plants eaten up with mites in a greenhouse.

Paul that is a great read. How big of a container do you have to grow basil and peppers in the same contsiner? Basil roots are ridiculous.

Glad you liked it. Pr0digal. I have 18-19 gallon utility tubs I use for tomatoes, so there is room for a marigold. I could put peppers and basil in a similar sized tub for the bigger varieties. I have grown them together in 6 cubic foot raised beds. A lot of peppers will be in 7-gallon pots, so I don't think there's room there.

ive noticed some flying insects in my indoor grow room, not quite sure what they are but this isssssss very interesting article thank you, (ughhhhhhhhhhh i am having a terrible growing year)

Well.... I overwatered by a large margin and am now faced with this issue. I'll try to remember to buy some of this bouncy paper tomorrow and see how well that can help while I wait for the soil to get nice and dry again.

You're likely using a detergent, an antibiotic soap, or there is too much fragrance/junk in the soap. I use soap sprays all the time and have never nuked my plants. What's in the pickle juice that kills insects? I would think the vinegar would nuke the plants

+1 on antibiotic soap. Plain Dawn will work,but not the antibiotic. Tried to show my girlfriend how to kill aphids on her favorite flowers using Dawn (antibiotic). I told her the bugs did it... Then she asked my how bugs leave brown streak marks. Ehhhhhhhh

Sounds interesting... My wife has FGs in her potted plants upstairs. One reason I have my grow tent down in the cellar. We have a bottle of lavender oil on hand. I'll try mixing it with a little water and alcohol and spraying it on the soil in the pots with a pump spray bottle.

You're likely using a detergent, an antibiotic soap, or there is too much fragrance/junk in the soap. I use soap sprays all the time and have never nuked my plants. What's in the pickle juice that kills insects? I would think the vinegar would nuke the plants

hmm, I had used some vinigar and water, (very diluted) to spray a small T-scorp. plant that I thought might have a fungus.. but it was the 2nd time it's come back so I think it's just a genetic defect. and it hasn't spread to anything else.. so I will leave it alone now, but it definitely nuked it pretty good.. lots of brown spots.. but luckily the new foliage is good

I use a lot of corriander. I have some germinating in fact... Good to know it can be companion planted :D

Will have to give it a go when they are ready to be put in the ground.

+1
I use soap too. :cool:

Back