• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Hello, I want to grow for the first time! Some tips please?

Hello I am new to growing plants and also to growing chili. I have never owned plants before but I would like to start :D

I just ordered [Trinidad Scorpion (Butch T Strain) Hot Pepper 10+ seeds]
[http://www.amazon.co...duct/B003ONW3GO]

Can you guys link me to a guide on how to start? (or even type your personal knowledge?)

I'm want to grow just 1 plant pot of the chili for now hopefully and depending on how it goes and how much I like it, I will expand. But currently I just want to grow for myself for fun.

I live in Houston TX so the weather is not too hot. I live in an apartment and can put it inside right by a window or outside on my balcony

^______________^ I can't wait :D !!

I don't want too indept like certain termeratues and certain humidites and stuff, I'm not going to sell this professionally so mid quality would be fine.

Things like this much water, this type of soil, this type of pot, and maybe this light to buy for night
ty

just a quick one

Germination - there are mixed views on this but i like to soak my seeds over night in water then sow.

1. Heat
Like all seeds, chilli seeds are reasonably easy to germinate. Initially their main requirement is heat. Obviously it is best if possible to keep the seeds indoors, if not in a house or garage then at minimum in a greenhouse. Even when they are in a centrally heated house there are things you can do to maximise the heat. Try putting the seed tray in warm spots such as on top of the fridge or in an airing cupboard. Alternatively you could buy a heat pad from a garden centre and place the tray on top. This will ensure a constant warmth is supplied to the chilli.
2. Moisture
During germination, moisture helps the seeds by softening the pods from which they sprout. Pre-soaking the seeds in warm water (not hot) prior to planting in compost can help speed up the germination process. If you have the seeds in a warm area as suggested in tip 1 above be sure to not let the planting medium dry out. Try and keep the medium moist to touch but not wet. A small water mister is best to use rather than pouring water straight in to the seed tray.
3. Planting
You can plant the seeds straight into individual pots however a seed tray will allow you to plant more in a confined space. Fill the tray 3/4 full of fine compost (sieved if possible). Then add the seeds in straight lines leaving about 5cm between seeds. Next sieve over another 3-5mm of compost. Be sure to label the seeds if more than one variety is being grown. Place a cover over the tray and place somewhere warm.
4. Thinning Out
The seeds should sprout after anything from a few days to a few weeks. You should try and leave the seedlings in the seed tray until they have sprouted their first true set of leaves (the second set that appears). It is a good idea at this time to throw away any weak looking plants and only pot on the strongest plants. This of course depends on how much space you have available to grow them, just remember they take up a lot more room once they are fully grown plants!

get a starter tray with a clear lid it will help keep in the moisture. use a starter mix potting soil.regular potting soil can have to much nutrients for baby plants.

you can get free seeds on this web site from other members all the time. some day return the favor. i have had bad luck geting seeds from ebay and other sites.did not get vary many of them to germinate. if you are going to grow diffrent types of peppers in one tray figure out a way to mark them. saves trying to figure out what you have once they to put out pods.

best of luck

check the market place forum on this site to get free seeds.

Welcome Amirborna!

+1 on hanging out in the marketplace for free seeds. Also spend time in the grow section, and the tech section consuming as much info as you can. Your first year will have some rough spots in it, but probably some success as well. Next year you will be way ahead.

Normally buying seeds from ebay or amazon is not a good choice, (of actually growing what you expected). That seller is actually a member here and so your seeds will probably be fine.

Houston has a great hot sauce festival each year. I think it just passed recently. There are a few other Houston members on here too!

Good luck with your first season!
Mike

I found these videos helpful.

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_3Bv52vi9c&feature=related

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg074fU53kY&feature=fvwrel

:welcome: from NC! You came to the right place. I recommend checking out the GLogs and they will give you an idea of how other members go about their grow. The best thing to do is to pick a GLog and read it all. Ask questions about what you are wondering about and just read. It will help tremendously. Good Luck.

I didn't find the videos particularly enjoyable but when he had to interject his religious views, I immediately shut it off...The man has issues to incorporate that into a pepper growing video...

+1 to all the great advise so far...If you only want 1 plant I would plant at least 4 and grow them a bit until you pick which one will be the lucky one. You can always give the extras to friends. Temps as mentioned in tip 1 of post 1 are critical to germination. Soil temp between 80 and 85 degrees is optimal. You can use a cheap meat thermometer to monitor. Too hot and you can kill the seeds...too cool and they won't germinate and will eventually rot. Is your window/balcony on the South side of the appartment? That would be optimal...peppers need a lot of sun.

:welcome: from NC! You came to the right place. I recommend checking out the GLogs and they will give you an idea of how other members go about their grow. The best thing to do is to pick a GLog and read it all. Ask questions about what you are wondering about and just read. It will help tremendously. Good Luck.

Really great advice there...read all the glogs you can.

...Also spend time in the grow section, and the tech section consuming as much info as you can. Your first year will have some rough spots in it, but probably some success as well. Next year you will be way ahead.

More great advice there. Grow tech for the equipment side of things and growing hot peppers for the nutes, watering and just plain ole advice.

Good luck and have fun!
Shane

I really enjoy seeing folks jump right in to help newbies. Way to go guys. One thing though is please don't start telling folks to go to the marketplace to get free seeds. The fastest way to alienate people around here is to start asking for free seeds. You won't make any friends and may find the site a bit cold towards you. Other than that you can get all the growing information you'll ever need to produce some great chile plants. Best of luck to you.

I really enjoy seeing folks jump right in to help newbies. Way to go guys. One thing though is please don't start telling folks to go to the marketplace to get free seeds. The fastest way to alienate people around here is to start asking for free seeds. You won't make any friends and may find the site a bit cold towards you. Other than that you can get all the growing information you'll ever need to produce some great chile plants. Best of luck to you.

Well, I am a newb, and did just that. Noticed a member who lives in my city and sent a message asking for advice and seeds. That member, POTAWIE, was gracious enough to send me some seeds. So I guess asking for seeds can work out if you contact the right person. I plan to do the same and give away seeds once my plants have grown. Generosity towards enthusiastic new members is a good thing!

Thanks everybody for all the great advice, I made the right choice by coming to this forums. With all your help, tips, and knowledge, I hope I can grow some hot peppers :D :D :D !! Thank you !

Well, I am a newb, and did just that. Noticed a member who lives in my city and sent a message asking for advice and seeds. That member, POTAWIE, was gracious enough to send me some seeds. So I guess asking for seeds can work out if you contact the right person. I plan to do the same and give away seeds once my plants have grown. Generosity towards enthusiastic new members is a good thing!

Good for you Green Tea. However I stand by what I said. New folks who go to the marketplace and start asking for free seeds usually don't get the warmest welcome. POTAWIE is a good guy.

welcome to the forum....all advice that has been given is good...

the best advice I can give you if you are serious about growing is to read, read, read...the more you read, the easier your grow will be...

Back