Hello from Central Los Angeles

I have replied to a couple of posts in the past, but failed to introduce myself.

I am a non-professional gardener with a home in Leimert Park, the historic jazz 'n' blues center of Los Angeles. We moved to this part of the city in 2009. Most of the property is paved and it can get surprisingly cold. We're using the unpaved space with raised beds and a less disciplined area onto which I keep piling cuttings and kitchen compost. This makes for happy worms and a supply of soil/amendment. On the paved space, I have converted a wooden shipping crate into a planting bed, and have built a number of self-watering containers. I've just started some berries in wine barrels.

I try to maintain an "organic" approach though it is by no means certifiable. We are blessed with a number of paper wasps which police for caterpillars and eggs under the leaves. I discovered this through observation. I felt pretty dumb when I finally figured it out, after watching them hover under tomato leaves for weeks. Found an article here.

My interest in the super hot peppers came about as my wife has kept up a lifelong addiction to hot pepper seeds. For her, the hotter the better. For me, Manzano is about as hot as I like to eat directly. I'd like to make bbq sauces with the super hots. Last year, I managed to grow a handful of Bhut Jolokia while more focused on pole beans, squash and heirloom tomatoes.

I've just gotten seeds started which were provided generously by Matt from this forum:

Chocolate Ghost, Brain Strain 7 Pot, Yellow Scorpion, Red Scorpion, Yellow Ghost, and Bhut Jolokia.

I work for the internets. The gardening hobby is a nice separation from that. I have been gardening for many years, and am humbled by all of the real farmers who are so knowledgeable and helpful here. A greenhouse and/or hens are on my distant radar.

I'm also frequently bbqing with a Big Steel Keg.

Nice to be here.

:welcome: from a former Downtown resident. There's some Gorilla Gardening activity in your area coming up, if you're inclined.

Check it:

Leimert Park
DATE: March 11, 2012 (Saturday)
TIME: 10am
After some big rains and some minor flooding, this garden needs a little revamp. We'll bring some new agave to put in, but feel free to bring some succulents of your own to add to this garden. The dirt is pretty shallow, so hearty succulents only! We'll also need help picking up dirt on March 10 after 5:30p. If you love dirt and want to help please let us know.

RSVP here for Friday and/or Saturday

DIY - Valencia & 8th
DATE: Ongoing
TIME: March 2012 - whenever works for you!
We're trying a little experiment for the month of March on a median downtown. Mr. Stamen has put a few plants here and despite the rock-hard dirt, they're doing pretty well. We challenge anyone in the downtown area to DIY - Do It Yourself. Plant succulents and other hearty plants. If everyone puts in just one plant, we can create a great garden. We've hidden a journal underground to keep track of who's planting. Let us know when and what you planted or leave us a love note...up to you.

You can bring your own plant or if you'd like to pick one up from LAGG, please coordinate with Mr. Stamen.

Can't wait to see what it looks like in 30 days!

Hey, NC! :welcome: to the forum from Oregon!

:welcome: from a former Downtown resident. There's some Gorilla Gardening activity in your area coming up, if you're inclined.

Check it:

Leimert Park
DATE: March 11, 2012 (Saturday)
TIME: 10am
After some big rains and some minor flooding, this garden needs a little revamp. We'll bring some new agave to put in, but feel free to bring some succulents of your own to add to this garden. The dirt is pretty shallow, so hearty succulents only! We'll also need help picking up dirt on March 10 after 5:30p. If you love dirt and want to help please let us know.

RSVP here for Friday and/or Saturday

DIY - Valencia & 8th
DATE: Ongoing
TIME: March 2012 - whenever works for you!
We're trying a little experiment for the month of March on a median downtown. Mr. Stamen has put a few plants here and despite the rock-hard dirt, they're doing pretty well. We challenge anyone in the downtown area to DIY - Do It Yourself. Plant succulents and other hearty plants. If everyone puts in just one plant, we can create a great garden. We've hidden a journal underground to keep track of who's planting. Let us know when and what you planted or leave us a love note...up to you.

You can bring your own plant or if you'd like to pick one up from LAGG, please coordinate with Mr. Stamen.

Can't wait to see what it looks like in 30 days!

Thanks for this! I've sent an email.

Back