• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best grow medium?

Capsicum

Banned
What is your fav. potting mix or medium, made yourself or store bought.

Here is my top ones.

1. Pro-Mix HP or BX - Can not find a made mix for the money that is better!! THE BEST.

2.Miracle Gro Potting MIx cut with peat/perlite/lime- I like this one because you get some fertilizer from the MG mix and you can add what you like. This mix ends up being the same cost as pro mix but not as well draining. I use this in smaller pots that have large plants in them.

3. Fox Farm- Well, why is fox farm 3rd? For the most part it is the price but that is a regional thing I think. I pay up to $25 Around here, I hear some get it for only $15 or lower. You can not always find it either. Also, if you use good organic fertilizers you can get the same good product from promix.

I hope everyone enjoyed and I would like to hear what you use now. :cool:

If you're a lazy person like me, and don't mind missing on the potential extra benefits of self made soil, then just go with store bought mix. I think some people mix their own soil because it's cheaper too.

I like Fox Farm the best out the those. It's a mix of castings, guano, pretty much everything in one package.

If you're a lazy person like me, and don't mind missing on the potential extra benefits of self made soil, then just go with store bought mix. I think some people mix their own soil because it's cheaper too.

I like Fox Farm the best out the those. It's a mix of castings, guano, pretty much everything in one package.

I agree and it would be on the top if I could get it for a little less the cost. I think I could not make my own mix cheaper then promix HP maybe BX but not HP. 30% of the hp is pure chunky perlite!!!!

I've used home made and Pro Mix BX and HP. Really can't do any comparisons. I would still be mixing my own if my back wasn't screwed up. Now I use the Pro Mix HP. I like to add a couple of handfuls of Happy Frog Soil Conditioner to the pot when I pot up. For older, used growing mixes I'll go up to 50% of the Happy Frog SC. I dig that stuff baby. :halo:

I have a big bale of Pro Mix BX this year but if I needed smaller quantities, I really liked the gold Organic bag at Walmart for $4. It isn't the small size but medium- not sure ounces. I loved the texture. I had a couple bags left this winter and it is a joy to work with. The Pro Mix BX is chunkier and twiggier but should be fine.

I have used promix and it all, this year I am doing Roots organic 707, its almost the same at the pro-mix, but it also has coco fiber added to it, and it is not super fine like the pro-mix, its a little more chunky.

I pay 24.94 for 2.5uc ft or i know it comes out between 20-21 gallons. I was able to fill like 6 3/4 - 3 gallons pots with one bag of it.

Yes I see roots organics has coco in it. Looks like a good medium. I lack close by hydro shops so that is why my list is the way it is :)

I usually just go with Miracle Gro potting mix and sometimes supplement with peat. I don't have a lot of room to store soils and supplements to mix my own for small batches, and MG has been more consistent in quality than other brands I've tried.

I really liked the gold Organic bag at Walmart for $4. It isn't the small size but medium- not sure ounces. I loved the texture. I had a couple bags left this winter and it is a joy to work with.

Ahhh.. Jiffy organic seed starting mix.. I like this one alot too..

Back