• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Pepper ID help

Can anyone tell me what kind of pepper this is? I rec'd a mixed bag of 20+ dried pods and planted some random seeds. This is one of the first to produce a pod. It started off green with a black tip and as it has grown larger the entire pod turned black. Any ideas? I am including a list from smokemaster on which pods could have been in the mix bag.

Thanks in advance for the help! :)

Habanero De Arbol
Inca Red Drop
Pequin-several different ones
Tepin-several different ones
Bolivian Wild-Annuum not Chinense
Xigole
Black Birds Eye Cross
Gift Pepper
Goat weed type/strain
PI 260250
PI 438638
Chile Negro De Arbol
Black Scorpions Tongue
CO 4548
TC 07246
Mexican Serrano
Bulgariun Teardrop
Red Chile-small
Japone
Red Habanero De Arbol
Aji Limo
Vietnamese
Cabai Tree Chile
Fish cross
PC1,Naga Jolokia-Frutescens
Thai

mysteryplant.jpg

Mysteryblackchile.jpg

Hi Joe

I am not growing all the peppers on this list. I rec'd dried pods of all these and grew out a handful not knowing which varieties I was going to end up with. Sorry I can't be more help!

Melissa

I wonder why Beth has it listed as Chile Negro de Arbol? I have some other mystery plants that have the fuzzy goat weed appearance, this particular one doesn't though which is why that picture threw me off.

Thanks stc3248

I wonder why Beth has it listed as Chile Negro de Arbol? I have some other mystery plants that have the fuzzy goat weed appearance, this particular one doesn't though which is why that picture threw me off.

Thanks stc3248
No problem...I have several Goat's Weeds, actually my current profile photo is a B/W of a Goat's Weed with the pepper in color.
P1000328-1-1.jpg

Here it is in color...
P1000328.jpg

The pepper is now black and will eventually turn red...
I believe they may be right about the Negro de Arbol...but the shape looks a little odd for that variety. They are usually a little longer/slimmer and come to more of a point.

Hmmm...after some searching, the Negro de Arbol photos I'm finding have a slightly different pod shape, but similar in structure to the Goat's Weed. Regular Arbols have the down turned pods for sure. Your's definitely look nothing like either a Goat's Weed or an Arbol...hope you figure it out! I'll be watching.

Here's Beth's Goat's Weed photo. Notice the slightly different pod shape between the two...so her first photo was probably accurate and confirms that we have no idea what yours is :banghead: :rofl:

http://peppermania.com/annuum_seeds_10.html

I gave Beth the plants from the nursery here for Chile Negro De Arbol a year or so ago.

I think it's the unknown Goat weed type you have pictured above.
I had 2 of those plants.
One had upturned pods and one had pendant pods.
Both got fuzzy with age but never got as fuzzy as Goat weed or Chile Negro De arbol.

One of the gray/goat weed type unknows had a Purple blue tint in the sun to it's pods and the other had a brown tint.

I also have a couple other similar plants.
Vietnamese Black dragon , Black Cobra , Black Chile Verde and a couple more I can't think of right now without going to my collection lists.

All were similar to each other but when grown next to each other you could see differences in pod shape,colour/tint , size,bush or tree shaped etc.

If you grow the unknown in dim light the pods are Purple.

Got it from the 99 cent store.

IM003794.jpg

IM003792.jpg

Baught them for the Purple pods.An hour after being in sunlight they turned black.
One put out pendant pods and the other one put out upturned pods.
They were in a cardboard box so they weren't in very good shape when I bought them.
They got fuzzy after a week or so in bigger pots with sunlight.

Chile Negro De Arbol from Nursery

IM003884.jpg

99 cent store unknown/goat weed type

IM003924.jpg

Goat weed type from 99 cent store - upturned pods.

IM003928.jpg

IM004093.jpg

Black Cobra

PICT1534.jpg

Black Chile Verde - has a lot bigger pods...Bigger more tree like than the other black podded goat weed types I've grown.

PICT2057.jpg

PICT2056.jpg

Gift Pepper is an unknown ornamental I got from a trade a few years ago.

A friend commented that they liked it when I posted pics on a Pepper site a while back(2or so years ago).
I sent a plant to him as a supprise and he called it a "Gift Pepper"(as in Thanks for the gift Pepper).

I liked the name so that is what I call it now.

It stays in the yellow pod shade for a very long time and can be seen a mile away.
It turns from green to yellow to orange to red.

IM004681.jpg

IM004675.jpg

IM004138.jpg

IM004135.jpg

As a side note.
Most of the Gray Fuzzy collection I had didn't all get fuzzy until they matured and most had totally different pod sizes and shapes as they got older too.
The Black Cobra I grew in the shade didn't get fuzzy until I gave it full sun.

There are similar looking peppers from different places that are tree like or bush like,gray fuzzy with black pods that are somewhat similar.

Mexico - Chile Negro De Arbol , Black Cobra and Black Chile Verde
Venezuala - Goat Weed
Vietnam - Black Dragon

I have a feeling Black Cobra is a made up name by a seed vendor,are there Cobras in Mexico or S. America? LOL

I gave Beth the plants from the nursery here for Chile Negro De Arbol a year or so ago. I think it's the unknown Goat weed type you have pictured above. I had 2 of those plants. One had upturned pods and one had pendant pods. Both got fuzzy with age but never got as fuzzy as Goat weed or Chile Negro De arbol. One of the gray/goat weed type unknows had a Purple blue tint in the sun to it's pods and the other had a brown tint. I also have a couple other similar plants. Vietnamese Black dragon , Black Cobra , Black Chile Verde and a couple more I can't think of right now without going to my collection lists. All were similar to each other but when grown next to each other you could see differences in pod shape,colour/tint , size,bush or tree shaped etc. If you grow the unknown in dim light the pods are Purple. Got it from the 99 cent store. Black Cobra is a made up name by a seed

smoke your gift pepper is called "Ordono" or at least it looks exaclly like it, i and my friend grow it every year

thanks your friend Joe

No purple pods like Ordono has.

I grew Ordono a while back.I don't think that is it.
Close but no Cigar I think.

http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=Ordono&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any&submit=Search

I have a feeling Black Cobra is a made up name by a seed vendor,are there Cobras in Mexico or S. America? LOL

From what I've read Black Cobra is just a marketing name for Goat's Weed plants...Goat's Weed just doesn't sound very appealing, so to improve sales they made up the Black Cobra name because it just sounds cooler, and there are no cobras in North, Central or South America...

Goat weed is from Venezuela,chile Negro De Arbol,Black Cobra and Black Chile Verde are supposed to be from Mexico.
Could be a name thing but when grown side by side most of the peppers named above have differences that you can see and in heat and taste,flesh thickness and pod and plant size etc.

Back