• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

HELP - Mass Leaf Spot Nightmare

Went upstairs to check on my plants. I inspected the leaves and i notice brown spots! After some searching, it looks like bacterial leaf spot. During the day it kinda gets warm and humid in there, and the plants are close to each other. So i think that may have contributed to it.

Out of my 80 or so plants, about 30 have bacterial leaf spot in differing degrees.

My questions:
  1. What to do now? I heard copper fungicide should help, do i just spray it all over the plant (under side leaves, over leaves?) till its drenched?
  2. I also have serenade spray, should i use that instead of copper or complement it?
  3. How do prevent this in the future? Add more air flow? Less humidity?
  4. I heard cinnamon is also good to apply on top of the soil, will that help too?
Here are some pics

Yea from far they look perfect ...
P1020789.jpg

Look closer now, eeeeek
P1020790.jpg

P1020791.jpg

P1020792.jpg

P1020793.jpg

P1020794.jpg

"How do prevent this in the future? Add more air flow?"

What kind ofventilation fans do you have now?

How much do you water/feed?

Yes soap should kill it and stop it from spreading. Do not be scared to use it, it will not hurt the plant.

If you answer those I may be able to see what is going on. I had this happend to me when I was overfeeding and going crazy with fertilizer but it might not be the reason.

I also read that sulphur can help with fungus, maybe its a fungal issue. I have Citrus, Fruit & Nut Orchard Spray Concentrate which contains Sulphur and Pyrethrins. Maybe that should knock it out?

Serenade seems to have both fungul and bacterial killing properties.

"How do prevent this in the future? Add more air flow?"

What kind ofventilation fans do you have now?

I have a ceiling fan that is on 24 hours, and also a powerful fan to strengthen the stems that runs 30 minutes 4 times a day.

How much do you water/feed?

I water maybe every 4-5 days. On every other feeding i give them 7.5ml/gallon liquid karma and 5ml/gallon pro grow

Yes soap should kill it and stop it from spreading. Do not be scared to use it, it will not hurt the plant.

I don't have soap, i have copper fungicide (for bacteria), and a sulpher based spray (for fungus), and serenade.

If you answer those I may be able to see what is going on. I had this happend to me when I was overfeeding and going crazy with fertilizer but it might not be the reason.

i decided to spray them with serenade. Lets see how it goes in a few days. If nothing, i'll try copper, and if nothing, then sulphur :(

it's not a over fert reaction? like leaf burn from too much miracle grow or other fertiliser?

def not ferts, i use very little, and just once every other watering. thanks though.

I cut the infected leaves off. So many leaves, some plants were almost like sticks. Sprinkled some cinnamon powder on them too. Lets see how it goes.

I had this problem last year in the hot, humid Alabama summer. I treated with Espom salts (mixture of sulfur and magnesium). Mix as directed by the package with water, and spray the foliage and base every other day. It does not eliminate the problems on what is already affected, but it did stop it from spreading. After I removed and destroyed the affected foliage, it did not return, until I stopped spraying.

Also, the magnesium in the Epsom salts made my plants greener than I could imagine.

I also read that sulphur can help with fungus, maybe its a fungal issue. I have Citrus, Fruit & Nut Orchard Spray Concentrate which contains Sulphur and Pyrethrins. Maybe that should knock it out?

Serenade seems to have both fungul and bacterial killing properties.
+1

I use Bonide Citrus, Fruit & Nut Orchard Spray also. That stuff works great. I had this same type of spotting on my plants that were outside last year, for the most part I took off any leaves that had the most damage and took them far away from my plants( Trashcan ). Gave them a regular dosing of this stuff on every part of the plant, leaves, stems, and even the top of the soil and the outside of the containers they were planted in. Problem went away for me.

I had this problem last year in the hot, humid Alabama summer. I treated with Espom salts (mixture of sulfur and magnesium). Mix as directed by the package with water, and spray the foliage and base every other day. It does not eliminate the problems on what is already affected, but it did stop it from spreading. After I removed and destroyed the affected foliage, it did not return, until I stopped spraying.

Also, the magnesium in the Epsom salts made my plants greener than I could imagine.

Good idea, i'll try it. Sulphur should help too. Thanks

+1

I use Bonide Citrus, Fruit & Nut Orchard Spray also. That stuff works great. I had this same type of spotting on my plants that were outside last year, for the most part I took off any leaves that had the most damage and took them far away from my plants( Trashcan ). Gave them a regular dosing of this stuff on every part of the plant, leaves, stems, and even the top of the soil and the outside of the containers they were planted in. Problem went away for me.

Yea, once they go outside i'll use this. Only downsides is it will keep the friendlies away too. Thanks,

Sorry to necro this thread, but did the treatment actually work? I don't want to start a new thread just to ask the same question. 

Hey cruzzfish,

First,
Capsicum said:
---I must disagree here, DO be afraid to over-do it! I killed several plants this way...

Personally, I would use beneficial microbes first. I have had lots of spotting like this and it isn't necessarily disease. Make sure nutrients are good and add microbes (check the compost tea thread) and if you really want to, use some sort of spray but do so conservatively (I'd try it on only some of the plants first though). If you notice it getting worse, then maybe consider more drastic measures.

Back