• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Horse manure and hot peppers, Yeah or Neigh ?

I've heard that horse manure is less weedy than cow manure...

I've also heard that you can use rabbit manure directly, its not "hot" like horse and cow.

Chicken manure is very hot, definitely need to compost that..

Definitely don't use high nitrogen manures for peppers- such as rabbit, chicken or sheep. Nitrogen will cause all leaves and no flowers. Horse or cow manure that is well composted would be ok but not spread too thickly. If you use black plastic the peppers will grow great, conserve water and no weeds!

Thinking about just buying topsoil and manure and mixing. Would it be cheaper to just buy a potting soil? Most of my garden will be in containers.

Horse manurer is great but any straight from the animal has its issues. Bugs love the stuff, any weed seed they ate will pop right up and so forth. I have 6' tall bell peppers growing in an old stable are of ares and they are doing well except the bug and plant issue. As others stated keep nitro down in your mix but if you can sterilize it do it. Anywho make sure you have plenty of drainage in your mix and you should be fine. Damn phone cant go back and correct lol. Anywho if you are unsure do a test plant or two

Thinking about just buying topsoil and manure and mixing. Would it be cheaper to just buy a potting soil? Most of my garden will be in containers.
potting soil doesnt have much nutrients but is great if thats all you have. Really about a 50% sand mix to a mix of soil and manure works pretty well. Really though its easy to over fertilize hot peppers and when you are dealing with manurer you are making a long term commitment so go light. Also manurers have high salt content, some less than others but they all do...heck fertilizer is a salt so just watch it especially if you are prepping in ground where drainage may be less than ideal.

My experience with horse manure has been very positive. But I took care to gather my own from areas of the stable that had been exposed to sunlight and weather for awhile (drier, "flufflier" manure).

I had no issues with weeds that were clearly from the manure itself.

I stopped using it because I didn't know how much/many chemicals/vaccines went through those animals. Probably over paranoid, but I wasn't sure.

Good luck!

I use horse manure in my composting, and have aged it on top of the soil in November for an April tilling. Its the acid in the urine that will burn the plants. The manure needs to be aged. My sources were from a Chicago carraige co. and the Police Mounted Patrol. Both sources use top shelf grain and bedding for the horses. If its composted and the pile heats up like it should then the seeds (weed) should be destroyed.

Greg

I'm using a mix based on composted and aged horse manure, coffee grounds, sand, and perlite. $35 for a cubic yard at a facility near the local equestrian center. We'll see how this goes...

horse manure is very mild if field gathered, its the stall collected stuff that is hot with ammonia (piss)

edit to add
you can pasteurize it by dunking in a pillowcase at 140-160
the beneficial mycorrhizae will live, but all the weeds and other bothersome pests will die off

I used a mix of very well composted horse manure and pro-mix last year for some plants, probably at about 1:4 ratio. Peppers did not like it much, had the worst harvest ever. Of course I had awful weather too, so it is really hard to tell. To take care of the weed seeds, I threw a bit of clear sheeting over the pile a month before using it, that caused all of the seeds to germinate and die since the temp under the sheeting was 130-140.

I am using rabbit manure for the first time this year...mixing it at a 10% rate with old soil...I get it from my vet since he raises lots of rabbits and was amazed at the size/production of a Foodarama Scotch Bonnet he grew last year using rabbit poo...

I am using rabbit manure for the first time this year...mixing it at a 10% rate with old soil...I get it from my vet since he raises lots of rabbits and was amazed at the size/production of a Foodarama Scotch Bonnet he grew last year using rabbit poo...

Am curious to see what you think at EOY on this stuff, AJ.

I have been casually trying to find a good source here in town for two year. There is a Yahoo! group called bunnypoopower or something like that where you can source it locally, if you're lucky...

As mentioned and been taught by my grandma in Germany, anything from a animal stall is great BUT should sit for a year. In another month or so the wonderful government here that charges my caboose to pick up the blue, grey and green bins of garbage, green being "wet waste" as in food scraps and peels etc, will open their doors to public to come and get the "free compost". No animal shite and allegedly organic compost you can fill your vehicle with. I do it yearly and when I dump the pails and bags the stuff is still steaming literally! It's still working and not ideal for peppers or plants I use it on the lawn as it will burn most veg.

I get a couple of loads of well-composted horse manure from a local stable each spring. I spread and spade it in in early april, and have never had a problem with it in the three years we've been growing on our current site. We get a few oats in the garden plot, but it's a small enough plot that it's no problem to weed them out. Fresh horse manure should never be used directly in the garden because the concentration of ammonia will burn your plants. Same with chicken manure. It's great for "lighting" your compost pile though...

Thank you all for the feedback...

so it would seem that regarding horse manure one should:

Be familiar with the source, let it compost/ "cure" for some time, and use it sparingly in the mix.

Yeah or Neigh......?

You can always strain it through a sieve, make a liquid fert & that way any seed weeds will not come through.

Mezo.

Back