• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Shipping Plants

So like many of you I have started waaaaayyyyy too many plants. Instead of throwing them out, giving them to non- deserving family members or friends, or trying to explain to the little old lady at the farmers what ghosts have to do with Indian food, I figured I would send some buddies a few.

Has anyone done it with success in the past? Any tips or how should I go about doing it?

Thanks

Matt

So like many of you I have started waaaaayyyyy too many plants. Instead of throwing them out, giving them to non- deserving family members or friends, or trying to explain to the little old lady at the farmers what ghosts have to do with Indian food, I figured I would send some buddies a few.

Has anyone done it with success in the past? Any tips or how should I go about doing it?

Thanks

Matt

Matt, I researched this a bit at one point, however have not tried it.
This link seemed to have a good example of how it should be done.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lVmyGKrKR8

Good video. I may need to find me some of those cardboard things.

What about feeding and watering before shipping?

joshua2000 sent me one, and he cleaned the roots up, wrapped them in wet newspaper, and stuffed it in box, and shipped it. It was in shock for a little bit, but its fine now

Ahh good video! I always plant more than I want just in case something bad happens. I really hate killing healthy plants because I have more than I want.

A lot of these talk about removing the plant from the pot, I have always got plants that are in the pot. I plan on sending them in the pot. I wish I would have saved the box from what I ordered from SSE last year, they had a nifty shipping box like the one in the video...Maybe I could make something that would work..

feel ge
A lot of these talk about removing the plant from the pot, I have always got plants that are in the pot. I plan on sending them in the pot. I wish I would have saved the box from what I ordered from SSE last year, they had a nifty shipping box like the one in the video...Maybe I could make something that would work..

feel free to send some plants this way.. btw what kind of peppers you got extra off??? ill pay to have it shipped.. =D

I start my chinenses in 4" pots and have shipped 9 at a time in a large, flat rate box. I water 2-3 days before shipping, then cover the open parts of the pot with masking tape. Line the bottom of the box with paper towels and set the plants in. Pack the rest of the box with foam peanuts and seal. Write "fragile" and "perishable" all over the outside, and pray that your postal handler can read.

I have been shipping small plants in general for over 20 years and there are a few tricks you pickup. Certainly, water the plants well, maybe a day before you ship. You want them to have water, but you don't want it seaping out of the containers and ruin the cardboard box you would ship them in. Lets say your shipping them in 4 inch pots. Take some packing tape and tape around the stem, but cover the entire top of the pot so no dirt will move or fall out. Even if the pot isn't totally full, fill it up with a little more so it is even with the top of the pot. It never hurts to cover the plant material, and professionals use "sleeves" but you can wrap some paper around the plant and tape that to the pot. Then, you tape the pot to the box towards thew middle, that way, no matter how much peanuts, or anything else you might use to stuff the box, it really doesn't matter, becasue if the pots are taped down real good, those things aren't going anywhere. If you send priority mail, the plants will normally be fine. Of course, you would stay away from sending the plants to Arizona in July, but apart from that kind of thing, most hydrated plants should be fine over that 2 to 3 days period.

The last two posts sound very similar to how a few of my plants that I ordered from Hirts were packed. Tape around the small pots and lots of peanuts shipped priority mail early in the week. They made it fine. The peanuts seemed to help, I can't really explain how, but they did. I was actually surprised. I ordered before reading the horror stories. Gotta love USPS Priority Mail. If it fits, it ships!

I just got my box from CCN and they have a great shipping method. If you look for the CCN Thread in the Vendor Vault there is a video which shows how they ship them. It was extremely stable.

I have a picture - not necessarily good and not a set, but here are the plants sitting in the box before I dumped the foam peanuts in and sealed it up.

HPIM2104.jpg

Anybody got a good set of pictures for this method?

Back