• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Anybody know anything about NuMex #6?

HwyBill

Banned
I picked up a package of NuMex #6 at the supply store when I was there buying some lights because it is one type of seed I didn't have yet. Tonight I noticed they have started to germinate.

Anybody know anything about them?

Do they have any sort of piquance to them at all? Scoville rating?

Got this from http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org

NewMexico No. 6
In 1950, Dr. Roy Harper released ‘New Mexico No. 6’ from a selection made in 1947 from an undesignated local chile (Harper, 1950). It yielded 23% more dry chile than ‘New Mexico No. 9,’ and was particularly well suited for the processing industry and for producing green chile for the fresh market. It produced a high proportion of large, smooth, thick-fleshed pods that ranged from 6 to 8 inches in length and averaged 2 inches in width. The pods were long-elliptical to oblong in shape, bluntly pointed, and small-based in proportion to their size. The shoulders of the green pods were generally well rounded and smooth. ‘New Mexico No. 6’ produced a higher proportion of well shaped pods than ‘Anaheim.’ The pods were a uniform medium green in color. The fruit had thick walls and dried more slowly than those of ‘New Mexico No. 9,’ and its heat level ranged from 700 to 900 SHU—half that of ‘New Mexico No. 9.’ Under average conditions, ‘New Mexico No. 6’ plants branched lower and did not grow as tall as ‘New Mexico No. 9.’
In 1957, ‘New Mexico No. 6’ was made less hot, and renamed ‘New Mexico 6-4.’ It was released to a local green chile processor and is still a popular chile cultivar.

Ah... thanks for the info. Kinda disappointed it is not more piquant.

Oh well.. thanks for pointing me to that valuable resource.

If you want hotter New Mexico varieties, look for Lumbre, Barker, Sandia or NM extra hot. None of them are that piquant compared to a superhot or even habaneros, but some can develop a suprisingly high amount of heat for a mild pepper.

I grew them last year. Here in Colorado roasted green chiles are sold on just about every street corner when they are in season. You can't beat the flavor, yeah they are not too hot but the roasted flavor makes up for that...

Good to know. I generally look to chiles for their piquance, but flavor is very important too.

You can always supplement the piquance of a dish with a hotter, more neutral tasting pepper, so flavor is ultimately the most important aspect of a chili in the long run.

I guess the most telling question would be.. did you grow them again this year? :)

Back