• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce CaJohn's Trinidad Moruga Scorpion Hot Sauce

After reading Dr Pacheco's review of CaJohn's Trini BBQ sauce, I knew I had to get my hands on some.
I went to the local Hot Sauce shop, sadly, they didn't carry the BBQ sauce.

They did however carry both the Hot Sauce and the Puree.
I ended up buying the HS.

The sauce itself is pretty loose and pours easily.
Kinda remids me of Marie Sharps or Pure Death (minus the seeds)

To me it tastes just like it smells, very floral.

This sauce is HOT with a lingering burn. So hot infact, I might rank it hotter than Fatalii Fire.

All in all a great sauce.

It would be a big step up for the novice chilihead and just might even have the old chiliheads reaching for a glass of cow juice.

I have absolutely nothing wrong with CaJohn. BUT....what I DO find funny is a particular person just came out with the "Maruga" withing the last couple of months. Now all of a sudden CaJohn's has enough to commercially produce a sauce based off of it? I somehow smell B.S.

Here is what happened, early last year when I told my grower to get seeds for the Butch T, they were crazy expensive. So, he chose the Moruga due to the amount of pods per plant and the large size of the pods. We introduced our Trinidad products last September at the Houston Hot Sauce Festival. When the announcement was made by the CPI, we just got lucky that it was the variety we had on hand. Unfortunately, we will soon be out of it because of the recent demand. The Trinidad Scorpion products have always been made with Moruga. No bs, no funny business. Thanks for the kind words on the products!

Marouga, or Maruga?
Previously, the pepper has always been the Marouga. Since someone out with it recently, that particular pepper was advertised by it's "creator" as a completely new pepper, as the Maruga. If no one believes me, check Neil's website.

I just got some in the mail, I really like it. It's got a nice lingering burn and fruity/floral taste. Now to try it out on food...

Marouga, or Maruga?
Previously, the pepper has always been the Marouga. Since someone out with it recently, that particular pepper was advertised by it's "creator" as a completely new pepper, as the Maruga. If no one believes me, check Neil's website.

Morouga and Moruga are the two correct spellings as far as I'm aware. Neil has always used Morouga, but the actual spelling of the region in Trinidad is Moruga

Morouga and Moruga are the two correct spellings as far as I'm aware. Neil has always used Morouga, but the actual spelling of the region in Trinidad is Moruga

Correct. But the "gentleman" that came out with his new "record-breaking" pepper calls it the Maruga, voiding the "o" from the name, specifically. Meaning he did it on purpose. Which tells me that he separates it from the "Marouga." That means that there are two peppers, the Marouga and the Maruga. I am just wondering which one CaJohns uses for his sauce. If Mr. Fowler JUST came out with this new "record-breaking" pepper, how did CaJohns get enough to make a sauce? Or did he use the Marouga? Not trying to talk crap, Im simply just wondering.

the problem i have with it when CaJohn first brought out the Trinidad Scorpion nothing was said that it was moruga then when it gets announced that its rated at 2,000,000 then its advertised as Moruga

The bbq sauce is lovely. I tried that hot sauce at the fiery foods show and liked it. I did a challenge at their booth in which i sampled 8 hot sauces and then did 3 million extract at the end. Massive stomachs pains leading to me throwing up later. I really like their products and stand by them.

the problem i have with it when CaJohn first brought out the Trinidad Scorpion nothing was said that it was moruga then when it gets announced that its rated at 2,000,000 then its advertised as Moruga

Probably just didn't matter to add that it was moruga until the record. Once it had name brand recognition it was worth specifying. I bet they will add moruga to the bottle at some point as well. I just tried the moruga madness from CaJohns and it was wild! I can't wait to try and make my own

I am a big fan of CaJohn's sauces. I will probably try to pick up some of the moruga sauce this summer... if supplies hold out. I have his Jolokia 10 sauce... it is fantastic. I love it that it is pretty hot, and has no extracts at all.

I also really like the cajohns sauces specially the fatalii pure :drooling:

May have to try that one. I have never had a fatalii in any shape or form. It is on my list to try after watching a few reviews... I just can't find anywhere to buy them locally. Might have to try to order one. Or just try it in sauce form.

The Moruga, regardless of it's spelling, is indeed the newest and hottest thing at the moment. What this does is subject it to all kinds of scrutiny. Where did they come from? Who's breed is it? How is it properly spelled? Where is CaJohn getting his supply from when it is so new etc etc.

Dr. Paul Bosland at the NMSU Chile Pepper Institute in Las Cruces, NM, has been breeding these very peppers and is very close with CaJohn. They were in bed together with the Bhut Jolokia(Holy Jolokia and other titled sauces etc) and are no doubt in bed together where the Moruga is concerned. Another name to keep in mind here would be Jim Duffy. All three, Dr. Paul Bosland, Jim Duffy as well as John Hard(CaJohn's) were all present when the announcement came through this last February that the Trinidad Moruga Scorpion and it's mean Scoville heat rating nominated it for being "the Hottest Pepper".

Where is CaJohn getting all these peppers? Jim Duffy grows a shitload of them as does the NMSU Chile Pepper Institute! The very party that measures and announces such things. If anything, the release of of the Moruga as being the new hot kid on the block may have been delayed just long enough for Jim Duffy and John Hart to get their contracts signed first before the announcement.

This is my opinion. Any takers?

My aunt and unkle gifted me both the moruga hotsauce and puree from CaJohns. I have not tried the puree but the hot sauce was very good flavor wise. Nice and fruity. I thought it would be hotter seeing that it was made with the worlds hottest chili. But it was still very good and had a friend reaching for the milk after he tried it.

Here is what happened, early last year when I told my grower to get seeds for the Butch T, they were crazy expensive. So, he chose the Moruga due to the amount of pods per plant and the large size of the pods. We introduced our Trinidad products last September at the Houston Hot Sauce Festival. When the announcement was made by the CPI, we just got lucky that it was the variety we had on hand. Unfortunately, we will soon be out of it because of the recent demand. The Trinidad Scorpion products have always been made with Moruga. No bs, no funny business. Thanks for the kind words on the products!

Welcome to the forum good sir! Your reputation in the Industry precedes you. Enjoy your stay.

Back