• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest BEGIN! Tortilla Throwdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
This TD is all about the Mexican tortilla. According to Mayan legend, tortillas were invented by a peasant for his hungry king in ancient times. The first tortillas discovered, which date back to approximately 10,000 BC, were made of native maize with dried kernel. The Aztecs used a lot of maize, both eaten straight from the cob and in recipes. They ground the maize, and used the cornmeal to make a dough called masa.

Excavations in the "Valle de Tehuacán" in the state of Puebla, Mexico have revealed the use around 3000 BC of the basic cereal, a small, wild cob, eaten by native people.

On 22 April 1519, Spaniards led by Hernán Cortés, also known as Hernando Cortez, arrived in what is now Mexico. They found that the inhabitants (Aztecs and other native Mexican peoples) made flat maize bread. The native Nahuatl name for this was tlaxcalli.

This bread made from maize was later given the name tortilla (little cake) by the Spanish. This is the same tortilla you eat today with Mexican food.

It's Cinco de Mayo Weekend! How will you celebrate the tortilla? Be creative, Be unique. Be yourself. And respect the tortilla. Let the tequila and beer flow!

READ:

The 5 Rules for an eligible entry

PLUS:

PoL = Cinco Pesos (5 Mexican Peso(s) = 0.38368 US Dollar(s)) :D

Deadline: Sunday, 10 PM EDT.

BEGIN!

Cinco Pesos is a little fun for Cinco de Mayo convert it! :)

I have been absent for the past few months in these threads, but I am in on this one and I am comin for you Sum!

Should I be nice and point out that the peso is the Mexican dollar?

What? Me nice???
Nah......

Conversion added for the lazy bastiges!

Now food pics! Booze pics!

Should I be nice and point out that the peso is the Mexican dollar?

What? Me nice???
Nah......

:lol:

I guess if you didn't know this you shouldn't be entering a tortilla TD.

I ain't confused Boss, really.....

45425469.jpg

5b569330.jpg

f64a4299.jpg

Red barn or burrito?

Going to wash my eyes out with acid.

Lye bro, Lye!
You can't un-see the seen.
put the toothpaste back in the tube as it were....

It's how we make Tortillas.
wanna see more?

Lye....

Conversion added for the lazy bastiges!

Now food pics! Booze pics!

:lol:

I guess if you didn't know this you shouldn't be entering a tortilla TD.

So Scovie and wheebz took the opportunity to post a bromance pic? Pardon me, but in the world of tickling your gal's butt with a feather that's getting close to using the whole chicken!!

buhahaha nice one scovie

and just you wait to see what ingredients I am using as "flour" for my tortilla

I guarantee, GUARANTEE, not any other person has this available to them to use except myself due top where I work, and no its not beer grain

or unless you live in the Andes

OOOOOHHHH! Wheebz is gettin' his tortilla on! Whoot!!!!

MGold - great to see you're in the mix!!!!

Have fun everyone and Happy Cinco de Mayo!!!!!!!! :party:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back