• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

overwintering Growing - Sprouting at beginning of winter

Hi,
I'm new to growing chilies. I have a number of different chili plants that have given me lots of fruit that I planted at beginning of last summer.

I had been given a Trinidad Scorpion in a packet http://www.flickr.co...ite/7097808509/. There were some seeds in the packet.

I am in Sydney, Australia. It is coming to the end of Autumn here, and it's getting pretty cold now...
The average temperature can range from around 8C (46F) at night to 16C (61F) in the daytime in mid-winter.

Being the impatient person I am, I decided to plant these a few weeks ago. Also, having little expectation that these will sprout I didn't consider the cold climate coming up.

Anyway.... they decided to sprout a couple of days ago. I have these sprouts outside in individual little pots under a plastic dome about one foot in diameter and about one foot high. Like a little green house.

Now that these have sprouted, I am concerned that they will die during the cold conditions.

What is the best way for me to take care of these sprouts during Winter?

Thanks very much.
Ronny

I grew some over the winter and found it to be somewhat aggravating. Don't know if I'll do it again although I see the reluctance to plow- under perfectly good plants.

Put 'em out for the day, and bring 'em in at night. They should survive in your climate there, no worries. ;)

Dunno if you get it there or not, but your main concern is frost. As long as they are not out in it, they will be sweet. (I'm lucky here in Brissy... I don't even know what frost is! :lol:)

at 8*C i think your peppers will continue to grow (pods probably not). They will slow down considerably, but will survive perfectly fine. I suggest keeping them in Pots instead of in the ground, that way you can drag em inside occasionally if its unusually cold. I think it'll be a good jumpstart on the next years grow season for you if you keep em going.

My plants are starting to be planted out, and it regularly gets to 8*C overnight here. my only problem is my hardening off tactics have resulted in some severe sunburns throughout the day.

Hey Ronny,

I'm in a simular boat :) Fortunately with some of my other previous projects I have some gear to hopefully get and keep the plants going

incubator with moruga, choc scorps, douglah and cili goronong
b7514a2c.jpg

elements and thermostat
de809021.jpg

makeshift greenhouse
8d12a01e.jpg

apparently a bhut jolokia we will see in time "bought from bunnings"
9aedc2b2.jpg

Bunnings sell "Bhut Jolokia" now? I definitely wouldn't be holding my breath... but sounds like we're on the same page anyway, Wildfire. ;) Keep us informed though. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Personally, I won't even browse the plants at Bunnings anymore--moreso to do with pest infestation though. The last time I was looking at plants at my local Bunnings, I noticed signs of broad mite infestation around the place.

Bunnings sell "Bhut Jolokia" now? I definitely wouldn't be holding my breath... but sounds like we're on the same page anyway, Wildfire. ;) Keep us informed though. It will be interesting to see how things turn out.

Personally, I won't even browse the plants at Bunnings anymore--moreso to do with pest infestation though. The last time I was looking at plants at my local Bunnings, I noticed signs of broad mite infestation around the place.

yea I'm not holding my breath at all I bought what were advertised as red habs they turned out all orange. even the picture bunnings used was not of bhuts

fa69da5b.jpg

Yea lol typical bunnings form but oh well we'll see what they are hopefully they ring true but if not I think I'll have plenty of super hots for next season :D

I guess as long as they still taste good and have a decent heat to 'em it's not a total loss. Just sucks that you're not getting what you paid for...

yea lol maybe I got suckered after some failed seeds last year I bought some butch Ts of ebay heres a pic :D thank god I found this site

c33b85f1.jpg

:lol:

I think everybody gets suckered--or at least duped--at some stage. Here are some "Dorset Nagas" I grew one time:

IMG_4756.jpg

:D

Sorry, Ronny, I think we may have hijacked your thread... :oops:

Back