• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Mold on surface of soil questions

Hey guys,

Quick question, I bought a Burpee little greenhouse tray kit from Lowes, it came with 36 coir pellets, and I filled all of them in with seeds once they expanded. This has come up before to me and I never got official answers (since I didn't exactly know what to search).

I have two cells with two different types of what looks like mold. Normally I scrape them off and we're good but figured I'd find out if anyone has more expertise on them, their name, what causes them, and how to get rid of them, as well as if they're benign or not.

1. White mold on surface, almost looks like cotton or fog. Normally I scrape it out and it doesn't come back.

2. Blue/teal mold on surface of coir, looks almost like small pieces of battery acid whenever a battery explodes, only colored teal.

Any input is welcome, if pics are needed, I'll try to take a few macro shots to clarify what they are. Thanks.

Frank

I notice I have a little greenish type mold/moss(?) on some of my jiffy pellet seedlings but I scrape it off to the side too. I'm thinking its due to excess moisture. Doesn't seem to be adversely affecting my seedlings. Any input would also be appreciated.

Yea it really isn't anything to worry about cause if you think about it, you are basically creating the perfect environment for mold and spores. You really do not need that hood for long anyway just during the intial germing, what I do is I will pop it up a little and leave a little gap so the stale air can be renewed with fresh air once they start sprouting I take it off entirely...if you leave them hoods on too long you will run into problems with mold and rot, I think they work better if you put a 1/4 inch hole in both ends of the lid for fresh air.

Good Luck

I've actually had the lid off for a few days now, so I have about 6-7 sprouts of the 36 pods, and both molds are still present, i.e. the fresh air and lack of humidity didn't kill them off yet.

Like I said it is really nothing to be concerned about, they already gained a foothold and start to grow, some of those spores could even have been from the air where you placed the trays. I also assume the trays are in a relatively direct sun protected spot so yea mold can still grow, albeit a little slower. Once those plants grow, get hardened and out in the sun, mold will dissapear.. I did a mold analysis on a woodshop I once had that got flooded and I was amazed at the amount of spores that where in the air. Do a search of the site I seen somewhere where you might could use a very diluted hydrogen peroxide and water spray or something...But I would not kill your sprouts ever it, just scrape that crap off...Be Well

Spore Identification Results in Colonies
Aspergillus 4
Cladosporium 2
Curvularia 1
Penicillium 3
Total Result: 10

What you will need is a small misting bottle. Get yourself a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide at any drugstore. It will be a 3% solution. Dilute this strength by 1/2 . If you pour 4 ounces of water into your mister pour add 2 ounces of Hydrogen Peroxide. Mist the tops of your cells or anywhere you are experiencing mold. Check this out: http://www.using-hydrogen-peroxide.com/peroxide-garden.html I swear by this stuff for so much. Good luck let me know how it works.

Will do Doc, I'm actually going on some 20 mile hike this weekend so I'll have to do it once I return, lol.

There ya go, Thanx Doc :} Lot of good peeps always willing to help, if I ain't got the answer you rest assured another member does...Be Well and Have fun on your hike and stay hydrated :}

Your welcome and don't let anyone tell you Hydrogen Peroxide kills good bacteria. That is preposterous. Hydrogen Peroxide simply adds oxygen which kills anaerobic or bad bacteria. I doesn't affect aerobic or the good bacteria. If you've ever wondered why everything outside looks so green after a rainstorm its because nature just supplied everything a good drink of Hydrogen Peroxide!!!! Look into it you'll see its the truth. Good luck.

I'm glad I saw this post, I had some of the cottony looking stuff in a couple of my starter cups also. I scraped it off and was wondering if I should do anything else.
Thanks Saw and Doc this site rocks! Everybody is so cool with the tips and secrets to this whole pepper mania that we all share! By the way Fcon
have you heard of fireworks by grucci? I work for them doing the fireworks here on the strip for new years, they are in long island they tell me.

White mold is due to overwatering. Make sure you cut back on your watering or else it will severly affect your plants in the long run.

Having a fan on them is also very helpful. Keep air flowing and it will strengthen your stems.

I'm glad I saw this post, I had some of the cottony looking stuff in a couple of my starter cups also. I scraped it off and was wondering if I should do anything else.
Thanks Saw and Doc this site rocks! Everybody is so cool with the tips and secrets to this whole pepper mania that we all share! By the way Fcon
have you heard of fireworks by grucci? I work for them doing the fireworks here on the strip for new years, they are in long island they tell me.

Nope, never heard of them, sorry Emon. The island's a big place, and I don't really go out to see fireworks too much. I'm pretty keen on my surroundings (i.e. advertising signs, buildings/store locations, etc) but I've never seen that name around.

Your welcome and don't let anyone tell you Hydrogen Peroxide kills good bacteria. That is preposterous. Hydrogen Peroxide simply adds oxygen which kills anaerobic or bad bacteria. I doesn't affect aerobic or the good bacteria. If you've ever wondered why everything outside looks so green after a rainstorm its because nature just supplied everything a good drink of Hydrogen Peroxide!!!! Look into it you'll see its the truth. Good luck.
I am one of those preposterous ones who does believe that h2O2 in the recommended levels can kill the beneficial bacteria as well as the bad. Its been discussed quite a bit

Exactly what I do, good advice. Just don't get any H2O2 on the plants.

What you will need is a small misting bottle. Get yourself a bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide at any drugstore. It will be a 3% solution. Dilute this strength by 1/2 . If you pour 4 ounces of water into your mister pour add 2 ounces of Hydrogen Peroxide. Mist the tops of your cells or anywhere you are experiencing mold. Check this out: http://www.using-hyd...ide-garden.html I swear by this stuff for so much. Good luck let me know how it works.

Back