• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ate some Tepins that were not very hot

I had never eaten a Tepin before. A local Indian Spice store had something labeled:

Chile Tepin (ChileTepin) Grown in Mexico and Arizona.

Scoville Units 100,000 - 265,000

I hope I don't start giving bad reviews as my tolerance increases, but I don't think there is any way these are any way near 100,000 scovilles. To me they had the heat of an ordinary Cayenne with Cayenne flavor, but more concentrated. They are delicious, but much weaker than I imagined.

144791ad.jpg

I don't know where yours came from, but have had a lot of picante tepins, both green and red.

They are one of the chiles I eat most. The picante effect is called in Spanish arrebatado.......although it is extremely hot the sensation dissappears easily and rapidly.

crop6828.jpg

I really love those Tepins, I have never come across one that let me down fortunately, green ones, red ones they are all good to me. However the red ones are little more flavorful with a slight sweetness. I found that it does depend on when and where the level of heat. I used to find them on the riverbanks of Central Texas in odd places but mostly where there was a break in the canopy. If we were going thru a Texas drought they seemed a lot hotter. But they were always Hot! Just sometimes Hotter! The first patch I ever found was huge it encircled the entire base of an old Oak tree, must have been thirty plants in there with stems bigger then my arm. I dug up couple and took them home and got em going.

I really love those Tepins, I have never come across one that let me down fortunately, green ones, red ones they are all good to me. However the red ones are little more flavorful with a slight sweetness. I found that it does depend on when and where the level of heat. I used to find them on the riverbanks of Central Texas in odd places but mostly where there was a break in the canopy. If we were going thru a Texas drought they seemed a lot hotter. But they were always Hot! Just sometimes Hotter! The first patch I ever found was huge it encircled the entire base of an old Oak tree, must have been thirty plants in there with stems bigger then my arm. I dug up couple and took them home and got em going.

I like the story!

Back