• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Chocolate Bhut

So I just tasted my first chocolate bhut. Does anyone happen to know what the original cross was? The heat was instant which is strange to me since the red bhuts always seem to build heat over 2-3 minutes. They have a much more pronounced flavor than the reds and they seemed to be just as hot. The burn subsided after 15 minutes whereas the reds sometimes last 30 minutes or more for me. Anyone else have the same or different experience?

IMG_20120627_182556 by GhostPepperStore.com, on Flickr

Not sure if that is a 100% chocolate bhut. Every chocolate bhut that I have ever seen, or tasted, has looked EXACTLY like a brown version of a red bhut. The ones in this picture look more like a habalokia or something similar. Might explain the quickness of the heat.

Yes sir. Very nice. I wish I had a Bhut Jolokia plant of any varient. I always miss the "seed train," but it doesn't matter much since I never have any luck germinating any pepper seeds.

Yeah, that second picture looked a LOT more like it. You're probably right, the first two may not have translated well. Maybe they're camera shy.....lol

The brown was just a natural variant of the red in India.

I kind of thought that might be the case since they just plain look like bhuts. I was really suprised by the heat as I was under the impression that they were slightly lower on the scale than the reds. Of course these pods came from plants being tested with a "secret" soil amendment that I expected would raise the heat levels. Maybe it is working? I can't wait to try the Butch T's I have that have been under the same experiment.

I kind of thought that might be the case since they just plain look like bhuts. I was really suprised by the heat as I was under the impression that they were slightly lower on the scale than the reds. Of course these pods came from plants being tested with a "secret" soil amendment that I expected would raise the heat levels. Maybe it is working? I can't wait to try the Butch T's I have that have been under the same experiment.

Now the Yellow Bhut... the story there isn't so easily settled...

i have some choc bhut seeds that i am having a hell of a time germinating. i haven't had trouble with the red bhuts but these are another story. is there anything any of you would recommend doing extra other than just planting in soil or pellets?

I have actually had an easier time with the chocolate and yellows, however, this years seeds were from a different source. Did you get both varieties from the same vendor?

I have actually had an easier time with the chocolate and yellows, however, this years seeds were from a different source. Did you get both varieties from the same vendor?
no actually. i got the red bhut seeds from a customer who grows them exclusively. the seeds from their pods i got 100% germ. i got the choc bhut seeds from THSC and the first 20 seeds didn't germ, so i emailed to let them know and got 2 more packs (for free of course, they have great customer service) and i'm trying again. it's been maybe 3 weeks and nothing. just wondering if i should soak them i water or score them or something. i have about 10 seeds left to mess around with.

Well I generally soak all my seeds in distilled water for 12 hours before sowing them. THSC sells great seeds, and I have never personally had any problem with them. Give em a soak

Back