• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Too Many Tomato's? Make Spaghetti Sauce and Bloody Mary Mix

I was gone to Pensacola for a week and when I came back, I had more tomato's than I could use before they went bad soooo..

I made scratch Spaghetti Sauce...it is the best I have ever had (seasoned to my taste of course)

I had about 20 lbs of tomatos (shown on my GLOG) and simply washed them, cored them, split them, threw them in a large stock pot and boiled them for several hours...it was easy to skim off the skin during the process....each time I stirred the pot I would pull out some skin....easier for me to do it that way...

after they had cooked down for about an hour, I started adding my ingredients...all to taste..you just have to season to taste as you are cooking...

20 lbs Tomato's
Garlic - I minced a whole bulb
2 large white onions diced
olive oil - enough to saute the garlic and onion
4 10 ounce cans tomato paste
Agave nectar - about a tbsp is enough (was substituted for sugar)
8 beef boulion cubes
8 bay leaves
6 large cans of mushrooms drained

clean and put the split tomatos in a large stock pot...bring to boil and reduce to simmer..keep at simmer...use a masher to mash up the tomatos somewhat then use a large spoon to stir with..

saute the garlic and onion then add to the tomato's....you can use bell pepper also if you wish, just saute with the garlic and onion....

A little goes a long way for the following, so add small amounts at a time..

oregano - about a tbsp...
fresh basil - about 1/4 cup
black pepper
salt

pretty simple and it look's like this at the finish....this made 8 quarts and 5 pints ( a little over 2 1/2 gallons)

06-24-12a003-1.jpg

**********************************************************************************************************

I then picked tomato's yesterday and decided that since I love Bloody Mary's, I would make mix out of the 7 or 8 pounds I picked....

I prepped the tomato's as in the spaghetti sauce recipe then started adding my spices to taste...it is finishing cooking down now and will be pressure canned in pint jars...thats enough for two small or one large bloody mary...

Tomato's
Salt
Pepper
Celery Salt
Cayenne Pepper Powder
Garlic Pepper (or fresh garlic if you wish)
Worchestershire

as I said, these are to my taste and your's may differ...feel free to experiment...

I won't post a picture since it looks very similar to the spaghetti sauce...

Should soon be getting plenty of tomatoes here in SC. Last year I used some of them to make "ketchup" to go in my Datil Sauce. One gallon of tomatoes cooked down to one quart of concentrate that I used with my Datils.

Wondering why you have not posted lately. Your automated watering system take care of your plants for you?

yup, automated fertigation system working as designed...very little maintenance to the plants for the past month until the last of November now...I give the plants a walkaround mornings and evenings looking, but very rarely touch them...every now and then I will have to replace a dripper when a plant starts wilting but other than that...no maintenance...I love it...

Stroll outside and get us a picture. This 100 degree heat is killing my plants.......just like to see nice healthy plants that can take the heat.

Back