• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Is this What people call Crinkle Leaf?

Its only happening to my 7 pots and one of my Fatalii peppers.

1341241935.jpg

( Fatalii)

1341241933.jpg

(7 pot)

1341241932.jpg

(another 7 pot)

Does crinkle leaf mean the plant is thirsty?

Should I take the leaves off that are crinkled or keep them on?

Thanks

Looks like too many nutes or salt buildup to me. With what are you feeding it?

I transplated them May 30th in pots. I bought them all as seedlings. The first 2 weeks I fertilized them with Fish fertilizer (2 4 0) once a week. Since then I have not done nothing except for an occasional deep watering ( maybe once a week).

I posted some other pics on other topics with some holes in the leaves thinking it was from ear wigs. However I just went outside with flash light and didn't see one. I just seen on another topic that Maganese deficiency can cause holes in the leaves.

What do you think I should feed them? More of that fish fertilizer I have or something else?

Unless you really over-did it with fish fert, I'm somewhat stumped. Every once in a while I get a plant that just has weird genes.

As for the whole CalMag thing - I think lots of folks use calcium in particular trying to solve a problem that isn't directly related to lack of calcium. As an example, tomato plants only need about 14 mg/L (~ppm) Calcium, and they are a plant that needs more than most. Everyone and their brother says "give it Ca or Mg or CalMag" at the first sight of blossom end rot.

Ca and to a lessor degree Mg are not particularly mobile within plants. Tomatoes can't even absorb Ca ions through their fruit or blooms, so spraying it on doesn't really do anything. If everything is in balance and you're irrigating with water from a drilled or dug well, creek, river, lake or municipal water, there is more than likely enough Ca and Mg in the water for the plants. I'm growing a really finicky roma-style tomato this year and some of the fruits got blossom end rot. I just added more water, picked off the bad fruits and it went away over the course of a week (new fruits showed no signs of BER). Haven't had any BER-type symptoms with my peppers this year, they seem to really like this incredible heat.

Only other thing I can think of to ask is: What type of soil is it planted in? It's a relatively small pot so salt build up is a possibility. Given anough water, love and time, plants tend to be smarter than we are and correct themselves - since we're harvesting the peppers off of these plants, that's the last part of the plant it is going to allow to die since its peppers are the source of its reproductive cycle.

Good luck!

Unless you really over-did it with fish fert, I'm somewhat stumped. Every once in a while I get a plant that just has weird genes.

As for the whole CalMag thing - I think lots of folks use calcium in particular trying to solve a problem that isn't directly related to lack of calcium. As an example, tomato plants only need about 14 mg/L (~ppm) Calcium, and they are a plant that needs more than most. Everyone and their brother says "give it Ca or Mg or CalMag" at the first sight of blossom end rot.

Ca and to a lessor degree Mg are not particularly mobile within plants. Tomatoes can't even absorb Ca ions through their fruit or blooms, so spraying it on doesn't really do anything. If everything is in balance and you're irrigating with water from a drilled or dug well, creek, river, lake or municipal water, there is more than likely enough Ca and Mg in the water for the plants. I'm growing a really finicky roma-style tomato this year and some of the fruits got blossom end rot. I just added more water, picked off the bad fruits and it went away over the course of a week (new fruits showed no signs of BER). Haven't had any BER-type symptoms with my peppers this year, they seem to really like this incredible heat.

Only other thing I can think of to ask is: What type of soil is it planted in? It's a relatively small pot so salt build up is a possibility. Given anough water, love and time, plants tend to be smarter than we are and correct themselves - since we're harvesting the peppers off of these plants, that's the last part of the plant it is going to allow to die since its peppers are the source of its reproductive cycle.

Good luck!

+1
seems like it's a trend here to scream Ca/Mg every time someone has a problem.

Cal/mag!!!

BS! I have given my plants Cal/Mag several times and it does not change the appearance, they still look like that.
It's viral or bacterial in my opinion. I just let it be if it's not dying it's fine.
I am beginning to think Cal/Mag deficiencies are way overblown. :rolleyes:

BS! I have given my plants Cal/Mag several times and it does not change the appearance, they still look like that.
It's viral or bacterial in my opinion. I just let it be if it's not dying it's fine.
I am beginning to think Cal/Mag deficiencies are way overblown. :rolleyes:

Very interesting. Yeah I'm not going to do anything about it but I'll keep an eye on it closely and watch what happens to new growth.

I think it grew fast on a hot day. If you suspect you aren't watering enough then you may not be. It is time to give it more fertilizer in general.

I did have one case recently when a huge plant in far too small a pot responded very positively to cal/mag, BUT the plant didn't look sick it was just stagnating in growth rate. Put the cal/mag on and BOOM next day it had already grown the next node and leaves.

Anway, fast growth on a hot day without enough nutrients to support that growth rate including limited water is my final answer, leave the leaves on as the plant will abort them if they aren't doing anything useful.

Hey torch, did these seedlings happen to come fro
CCN? Mine from them did the same thing....

Cross Country Nurseries... Is that the same as CCN? I got all my seedlings from them this year because they had such a variety.

I think it grew fast on a hot day. If you suspect you aren't watering enough then you may not be. It is time to give it more fertilizer in general.

I did have one case recently when a huge plant in far too small a pot responded very positively to cal/mag, BUT the plant didn't look sick it was just stagnating in growth rate. Put the cal/mag on and BOOM next day it had already grown the next node and leaves.

Anway, fast growth on a hot day without enough nutrients to support that growth rate including limited water is my final answer, leave the leaves on as the plant will abort them if they aren't doing anything useful.

Great input. I appreciate it!

Yeah CCN is cross country nurseries...my plants from them look just like yours and came with a healthy dose of aphid damage...make sure they are all gone and the crinkle will disappear when new growth is produced.

I honestly don't think it is a cal/mag issue with them being as young as they are and plus we got the same thing going. Apparently they stated that they were having less than ideal growing conditions in the greenhouses this year.

Back