• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Mexican Cuisine Adventure

So I have been making mexican food as long as I've been cooking. I constantly try to expand my list of dishes that I can cook, as well as trying new things from different regions of Mexico. But this past weekend I spent most of the day Sunday working on these food items and the final dish with the help of my girlfriend that made the beans and mole.

Cebollas Encurtidas Yucatecas - A basic pickled red/purple onion that really has an amazing color after a couple days.
IMG_6148.jpg

Chiles Serranos en Escabeche - Pickled serranos with onion, carrot, and spices. You will find these as most mexican food resturants that have a salsa bar.
5f38fe0f.jpg

Arroz Blanco - White rice fried and cooked stove top with garlic and onion.
a7ee0a9b.jpg

Salsa Ranchera - Tomato based sauce that is common and used for everything, almost lol.
455cae21.jpg

Calabacitas Rellenas de Elote - Zucchini stuffed with corn. This picture is of everything on the plate but the zicchini is in the shot.
IMG_6159.jpg

Chile Rellenos de Queso - Cheese stuffed pablano chiles. The sauce that goes on these is like the salsa rachera but has more spices and is cooked down from a thin broth.
IMG_6172.jpg

IMG_6184.jpg

Thats all for now. Later.

Tacos de Papa - Potato taco/taquito topped with salsa ranchera, crema, lettuce and pickled onions that I diced.
IMG_6190.jpg

duuude! i love tacos de papa lol, my grandmother used to make those when i was a kid!, they look delicious, haven't had those in sooo long.

Cebollas Encurtidas Yucatecas

1 Large Red Onion sliced thin
15 peppercorns
5 whole Allspice
1 Tablespoon Oregano
4 Garlic cloves sliced
Vinegar - Enough to fill a pickling jar
Salt to taste

Mix everything and fill pickling jar with ingredients. Onions can be used on anything to bring in a tangy sweet flavor. Recipe is how I have modified a recipe by Diana Kennedy to my liking.

Tonight for dinner was Fatalii Pollo Asado Burritos with arroz blanco, black beans, queso fresco, guacamole, and crema. Boom.

fd57d874.jpg

fe8c896b.jpg

65eec8bf.jpg

34df1f0f.jpg

b5029916.jpg

a0cc1624.jpg

23c71251.jpg

Damn hooda you gave Scovie a run for his mole money here... do we have a new Mexican food king? I LOVE all of that. DAAAAYYYUUUUMMMM!

Lookin' extremely good Hooda! Is the crema you use in Mexican food anything like the stuff with the same name in Greek cuisine? Cheers

Thanks guys!

Lookin' extremely good Hooda! Is the crema you use in Mexican food anything like the stuff with the same name in Greek cuisine? Cheers
Mexican Crema is basically just a thinned out sour cream. From what I understand, to make a homemade style crema ( table cream ) you start with sour cream and thin it with cream or whole milk until the right viscosity. Though I am not sure how it compares becuase I buy my crema outright. I'm not familiar with greek crema so I'm not sure, I'm only familiar with tzatziki which is a tangy yogurt.

Thanks guys!

Mexican Crema is basically just a thinned out sour cream. From what I understand, to make a homemade style crema ( table cream ) you start with sour cream and thin it with cream or whole milk until the right viscosity. Though I am not sure how it compares becuase I buy my crema outright. I'm not familiar with greek crema so I'm not sure, I'm only familiar with tzatziki which is a tangy yogurt.

Hi Hooda
The Greek crema is more like a thick, eggy white sauce that they put on top of baked dishes in restaurants. I don't know if they use it much in home cooking.
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/255/Greek-Pastitsio-Me-Crema106606.shtml

Hooda, you definitely got it goin on!

Care to post JUST the ingredients list of your Mole? I will if you will.
I'm dying of curiosity...

Nice thread here, man!

We're in trouble if hooda enters a TD.

Scovie's mole is da bomb. I'd like to see a head-to-head. Authentic Mex TD soon! A real one, no Tex-Mex/Cal-Mex crap this time! If the cheese melts it's probably not Mexican! lol

Back