• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Chilitos del Fuego de Guanajuato

Little chiles of fire from the Mexican state of Guanajuato.

zxjfiv.jpg

Made-up, but descriptive name . . . as is "gorditas"—little fatties—which I was calling them.

1z4kbps.jpg

First one to get beyond green. The pod, sans stem, measured 13/16 of an inch. Coworker, Jaime, was generous enough to share some chiles, and this plant grew from seed from those pods (which had descended from peppers brought back from Guanajuato). Pretty neat.

34ig2et.jpg

The plant is about 3[sup] [/sup]1/2 feet tall and sports an umbrella canopy of nearly that diameter. The chiles show a point-up growth orientation.

ilyagi.jpg

The peppers really exude chile essence; cutting and sniffing kinda tells you they're going to kick you in the tonsils (or tonsil holes). I minced the red pepper (most seeds retained) into a bowl of pasta, cheese, peas, and sausage and found I wanted to pause between forkfuls. The heat is more sustained than that from my chiltepin "bird chiles", the wild chile of Texas.

14joyg1.jpg

Posing on a wild sunflower stalk

Even if these turn out to be garden variety Mexican ditch chiles, they still feel exotic to me, and they perform very well in toast-and-blend salsas (which also get called "chiles" in Fort Worth). I'm in awe of the vigor of the plant and pleased by the friendly way in which it came to thrive 1000 miles north of where its "grandplants" were raised.

Very cool !

:welcome: to THP and Greetings from the Metrolina - North Carolina !
[background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] “The taste is followed by a vicious hot spicy bite……[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)]" [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :flamethrower:[/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] [/background][background=rgb(255, 244, 228)] :onfire:[/background]

Little chiles of fire from the Mexican state of Guanajuato.

zxjfiv.jpg

Made-up, but descriptive name . . . as is "gorditas"—little fatties—which I was calling them.

1z4kbps.jpg

First one to get beyond green. The pod, sans stem, measured 13/16 of an inch. Coworker, Jaime, was generous enough to share some chiles, and this plant grew from seed from those pods (which had descended from peppers brought back from Guanajuato). Pretty neat.

34ig2et.jpg

The plant is about 3[sup] [/sup]1/2 feet tall and sports an umbrella canopy of nearly that diameter. The chiles show a point-up growth orientation.

ilyagi.jpg

The peppers really exude chile essence; cutting and sniffing kinda tells you they're going to kick you in the tonsils (or tonsil holes). I minced the red pepper (most seeds retained) into a bowl of pasta, cheese, peas, and sausage and found I wanted to pause between forkfuls. The heat is more sustained than that from my chiltepin "bird chiles", the wild chile of Texas.

14joyg1.jpg

Posing on a wild sunflower stalk

Even if these turn out to be garden variety Mexican ditch chiles, they still feel exotic to me, and they perform very well in toast-and-blend salsas (which also get called "chiles" in Fort Worth). I'm in awe of the vigor of the plant and pleased by the friendly way in which it came to thrive 1000 miles north of where its "grandplants" were raised.

All chiles are special in some way,some because of their flavor, some because of their heat, some for interest vegetative growth some for pod shape or size, and of course the best ones fill several of these categories. but there are no bad peppers, just different reasons for growing them, and different uses. I went to culinary school in new mexico, and in our product Id class there were 70 or so different mexican chiles, from jalapeno to chile amarillo, to passilla, oaxaca, habanero, pica parajita, pequin, tepin, etc. I loved the flavor of all of them, and they all were good in some way! jalapeno is for instance about as run of the mill mexican ditch chile as you can get and I still grow several varieties of them every year!

Back