• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

capsaicin Tip: Getting capsaicin oil off your hands!

Some of us dont like to wear gloves! I know I sure don't.... So I cut up some superhots without gloves and everything I touched was set ablaze. I washed my hands 5 times or so and it still didnt help. I finally went out and bought a automotive hand soap and it took the oils right off my hands the first wash and has been everytime I use it. I highly recommend picking up some good automotive hand soap. It works great for me!!!!

Yes I would agree. I have found that the citrus scented with pumice seem to work the best. I have also found that if you stick your finger tip in your mouth and lick with your tongue you can usually tell if there is any oil remaining. It hurts alot less on the tongue than on other sensitive body parts!!

Lestoil concentrate also does well. First washing should be done with cold water so the skin pores don't open up.

There's a good topic on this here somewhere - lots of good suggestions.

My personal favorite is ice cold cheap generic gin. I keep a bottle in the freezer at all times.

It's quite soothing instantly as it's freezing cold, but more importantly, science: oil is alcohol soluable so the gin absorbs the capsaicin oils & you stop burning pretty quickly.

I tend to get burned on the backs of my hands/fingers as the skin there is really sensitive. I have found Gin to be totally reliable & a pleasant experience.

lol - you really would not want to drink this gin.

It is quite literally the yellow label with black font "GIN"

The hangover would be tremendous.

But I am dead serious about the benefit - it really helps to get the burning out of your skin. Not 100%, but there's an immediate effect from the soothing cold liquid and it helps to scrub it off faster.

Hmm...Lemon juice is acidic, so not sure if it would be a benefit or not - I imagine so, as the acids would likely bind with the oils. Only issue I see with this is if you have any cuts or abbrasions on your hands it'd hurt like a sonofabitch.

Whole milk or cream would also work quite well, but more expensive than alcohol.

Hmm...Lemon juice is acidic, so not sure if it would be a benefit or not - I imagine so, as the acids would likely bind with the oils. Only issue I see with this is if you have any cuts or abbrasions on your hands it'd hurt like a sonofabitch.

Whole milk or cream would also work quite well, but more expensive than alcohol.

I imagine that if you had cuts on your hands while chopping superhots, lemon juice would be the least of your worries! ;)

I use the same stuff I use for poison ivy. Tecnu Extreme Poison Ivy Scrub.

It Works.

The Gin sound more fun though. maybe I'll try that next time.

woot This was my 100th post ... :dance: :dance: :dance:

I don't get it....WHY do people "not like" gloves??????

There are several different glove materials and some fit better than others. I have some nitrile gloves that are as floppy as bunny ears, and I have other nitrile gloves that...well....fit like a "second skin".... I definitley would not like processing 10 pounds of chiles with the floppy gloves. If a person was working with those types of gloves, I could understand them just doing without. But a nice fitting pair of black nitrile gloves...little stretchy, just enough to flex with the motions....Ohhh....YYYEEEEAAAHHHHH!!!!

Heck even LATEX! is better than nothing! If you just want to feel the burn, then rub some fresh pepper on whatever sensitive part feels the best and be done with it. :rolleyes:

edit- this is not intended to detract from the theme of removing capsaicin from skin.....which is a VERY useful topic!!!! and any tips are welcomed by those who find themselves in that "situation" :lol: Thanks to those who have shared useful tips. My useful tip would be to "wear gloves" ;)

Agree with OP.

Gojo Natural Orange Pumice Hand Cleaner. Works with all oils. Axle grease? Gone. So capsaicin too.

There's also the option of limiting absorption. I always wash my hands well before processing peppers, but that gets the oils out of your skin so it more readily absorbs pepper oil. You can rub some vegetable oil into your skin before handing the peppers to reduce the amount that happens... just a little, not enough to have wet looking hands.

Yup. GoJo is fairly cheap, works a treat.

But as capsaicin is supposedly really good for arthritis, leave it on if you suffer in your finger joints, and enjoy the burn.

At least it will make you forget how bad the arthritis hurts for a while.

Back