• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pods dropping

Sounds like they were rotten, compmodder had the same problem as well, Is your soil well draining, maybe over watering or your soil has fungus or to much harmful bacteria in it? How does the plant look?

after our big rain last month it got hot as hell I lost a few pods, not just 1 plant it was several, those plants are still making pods and they look good so far it was just an isolated incident(the one on the top ended up being good).
070212201927.jpg

I'm starting to think this is usually the result of rain (or very aggressive strength water flow) splashing fungus spores from the soil surface up into blooms, OR the pollinating insect was contaminated with spores. Put up a sign that reads "please wash your hands before dinner". ;)

I'm starting to think this is usually the result of rain (or very aggressive strength water flow) splashing fungus spores from the soil surface up into blooms, OR the pollinating insect was contaminated with spores. Put up a sign that reads "please wash your hands before dinner". ;)

+1

Fungus can take a while to manifest itself, it doesn't cause rot but eventually the breakdown of tissue allows bacteria to get a foothold. Hmm, so I guess it does sort of cause rot, lol. Any way you look at it, the fungus had to get in there somehow as it was not present when the plant initially grew the bud unless all peppers were effected.

Recall hearing something about a Epsom boost to prevent the interior blackout.
+1 Pre as the outside looks great,that's why I always dissect before the dry or chop etc. been super hot up here so will have to monitor I suppose.

^ I don't know if epsom salts help but I did give the plants a few doses last year and still had a few pods with mold inside. However those with the mold did not rot or have blackened areas much, the mold was more of a fluffy gray or gray-blue color. In some mild cases I even scraped and rinsed the mold out and ate the pepper - but always cooking those first.

The stems started to yellow then turned brown before the pods dropped, the plant shut down the production line before the product was ready. Why my guess is 10 inches of rain followed by 95 degree temps, 80 for a low over the next several days.

In my case, the pods didn't drop. They seemed nice and healthy on the outside, only to be black and moldy on the inside. And I think what Dave2000 posted is the most likely scenario for the pods to be pristine on the outside and nasty on the inside. The fungus would have to be present on the flower before the pod is formed for that to happen, imho.

It's certainly not a rain issue here in Toronto. I've been racing home after work to water them as its been SOO dry up here that if it does actually rain it'll bounce off the lawn and garden. The only thing doing really well this year is the ever annoying "creeping Charlie"

Back