• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Venison Stew

You can substitute another protein in this stew but I love to hunt and eat what I kill. Enjoy, great for those winter months especially if you freeze or dry your summer beauties!

venison_stew_med.png

Venison Stew with Punjab Lal

This contains venison and you can substitute that ingredient with beef stew meat (chuck or top roast) for those who dare not eat or cannot acquire venison.

This will produce 3 to 4 quarts.
  • 2 tablespoon oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds of cubed venison or (1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat cubed)
  • 1/2 pound Andouille sausage, chopped
  • 1 cup onion, chopped
  • 8 medium red potatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 2 28oz cans stewed tomatoes
  • 1 12oz beer, Guinness used for this batch
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon Punjab Lal
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Heat a 6 quart pot to medium-high heat and once hot add the oil. Add the meat and brown, 7 or 8 minutes. Add onions, celery, and Punjab Lal, another 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, beer, salt, sugar, rosemary, and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer for 30 minutes. Add carrots, simmer 30 additional minutes. Add potatoes, simmer 30 final minutes. Salt and pepper to taste if required, serve.

I make a stew that is similar so I know how good that is! Nicely done. One question, what is Punjab Lal?

I make a stew that is similar so I know how good that is! Nicely done. One question, what is Punjab Lal?
It is similar to Cayenne but an Indian variety that I turn to powder and sell.

http://www.heatmadesimple.com/hot-pepper-powders.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=vmj_naru.tpl&product_id=22&category_id=6

PUNJAB LAL

Species: Annuum Origin: India Heat: Hot
Add to my growing list
A very productive Indian Cayenne type which produces 2x½" erect fruits that turn green to purple to red; plant 2'x2'. A more detailed description is currently unavailable.
punjab_lal_A.JPG

© Jeff Nekola UWGB​

You guys in Delaware are using Andouille? Now that'll add some "slavor" to a stew! We kill our share of deer and also some nice feral hogs. Any of them would be delicious done-up that way.

Oh man does that sound good! The processor just called me the other day and said all my venison is ready to pick up. 4 months later lol. Normally just butcher em ourselves but opening weekend this year was like 55 degrees. Too hot for my liking to have a deer sit in the woods or in the back of my truck all day in that weather. Will be making this for sure! Thanks for sharing!

You guys in Delaware are using Andouille? Now that'll add some "slavor" to a stew! We kill our share of deer and also some nice feral hogs. Any of them would be delicious done-up that way.
I am well traveled and just happen to live in Delaware now. :)

Oh man does that sound good! The processor just called me the other day and said all my venison is ready to pick up. 4 months later lol. Normally just butcher em ourselves but opening weekend this year was like 55 degrees. Too hot for my liking to have a deer sit in the woods or in the back of my truck all day in that weather. Will be making this for sure! Thanks for sharing!
It was a weird year this season, several hunts it was freezing before sun up and 60 by mid day. This recipe is simple and very tasty. I highly recommend it for trying yet another way to enjoy venison. Let me know if you guys try it and post some pictures!

Damn that look hearty and delicious... I would need rice, and maybe some warm Cuban bread with butter.

Back