• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Another question for plant problems

Hi i'm having these problems on my plants lately underside of leaves are turning brown. Seems like something covering it. A little bit coppery in color.

I was wondering what it is. affected leaves are a little wrinkly. And new growth is very small and curled

I was thinking of fungus or bacteria? And was what would be the best way to treat this.

14.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

Thanks for all the help.

I'm really stumped with this. Tried hydrogen peroxide mixed 1:10. Not sure if its pest fungus or bacteria. New leaf growth is small. Even fruits that have some brown shade wont grow i'll take a picture of that next time

1344674042059.jpg

Curious thing the spot where the whiteflys are the color seems to be normal.

1344674084864.jpg

not sure if i need fungicide or what

Thanks alot

Broad mite. :(

http://www.pestid.msu.edu/LinkClick.aspx?link=Factsheets%2Fbroadmite.pdf&tabid=218&mid=834

http://plantsciences.utk.edu/pdf/BroadMites.pdf

http://www.sardi.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/93666/Broadmite.pdf

Although only semi-effective at best when dealing with bad broad mite infestation (at least in my experience), try sprays that work by means other than poisoning the buggers first (e.g. soap, oils, etc) before resorting to chemical miticides. Broad mite grow resistance like you wouldn't believe! If you must use chemicals, always rotate the use of two or more different ones to reduce the chance of resistance.

Also a good idea to take care of the whiteflies you mentioned. Whitefly is a major vector of broad mite (the broad mite "hitch" a ride on 'em on to the plant).

here's a trick for you to get a better idea of what it is...

take a sheet of white typing paper (or any white paper), hold it next to the branch and flick the leaves with your fingers towards the paper...

you will see little/tiny specks on the paper....if they are red and moving you probably have spider mites...

I have recommended several times before that you need one of these

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Jewelers-Loupe-Double-Power/dp/B000RB57BY

to assist you in insect identification....they are worth their weight in gold to me...and they are cheap!!! matter of fact, this is the exact loop I have and carry it in my pocket....kinda like an engineers pocket protector..... :rofl:

Reactions: nee
Broad mites are smaller than spider mites so the paper trick doesn't really work. One of them 20x magnifiers should do the trick though! ;)

For some idea of just how small the buggers are, this is what you are up against when dealing with broad mite:

1broadmite_new.jpg

(broad mites hitching a ride on a whitefly)

The invisible enemy! :eek:

I want a binoculoar microscope or stereoscope, what ever you call them....hmmmm....

I would have to agree gasificada. When they were destroying my plants a few years ago I could not even see them they were so small.
They can be a complete disaster and stunt your plants growth for months or even kill them. I pray to God I keep them away from my plants.

They can be a complete disaster and stunt your plants growth for months or even kill them. I pray to God I keep them away from my plants.

Indeed. FTB tells no lie or exaggeration.

Some of my plants that didn't make it last season:

IMG_6733.jpg

IMG_6731.jpg

IMG_6730.jpg

IMG_6729.jpg

All four got hit early and so severely they eventually died. :(

Three major factors that make broad mite so hard to deal with:

* Their saliva is highly toxic to plants. This toxin is what causes the damage and causes plants to become stunted (or worse, death). A very small amount of the buggers can still cause great damage. All damaged growth should be removed immediately to help stop the spread of toxin and help reduce the chances of the plant becoming stunted. For the same reason (toxin), even after successful control, damage can still persist for some time. This also makes it extremely difficult to confirm successful control as it can appear that the broad mite is still present.

* Their size, and with that, their ability to hide well. Being all but completely invisible to the naked eye makes it extremely difficult to confirm successful eradication and to spot reinfestation early. By the time you see the damage, it is usually too late and the broad mite have already spread and moved on to other plants/fresh grow tips. When monitoring for broad mite, look not just to already damaged plants but also to the new growth of seemingly unaffected plants in the same vacinity.

I can sometimes *just* make 'em out with the naked eye--but it is likely to be the larval females or eggs I am seeing. Look closely between the veins:

IMG_3797.jpg

* Their ability to grow resistance to chemicals. No word of a lie, I have seen them become resistant to certain chemicals after just one application. The systemic chemical Dimethoate (no longer registered for use on food crops, BTW), for example, worked like a charm the first time I used it but appeared to be completely ineffective the second time. This is why chemical rotation is highly suggested--although in such cases as my experience with Dimethoate, I can't see how rotation would do any good at all?

Reportedly, some members here have had great success using Sulfur to control broad mite (me included), but as it too works by poisoning the mite, I am very hesitant to use it frequently. It should also be noted, never use Sulfur and oils together or around the same time as this can cause phytotoxicity to the plant.

Tired of relentlessly spraying soaps and oils, and no longer wanting to use chemicals (especially if they are only going to be rendered ineffective eventually anyway), I will be trying the broad mite predator Neoseiulus californicus this season. Put my order in and they should be on my doorstep tomorrow. Not sure what to expect but if they prove an effective means of control, you can guarantee I will be shouting it from the rooftops of this place..... ;)

Of course, even if Californicus proves to be effective, I still have the task of dealing with Queensland Fruit Fly later in the season... but that's another story! :banghead:

I want a binoculoar microscope or stereoscope, what ever you call them....hmmmm....

Me too! It would certainly soften the blow of having pests (well, a very tiny bit) if you could get some cool images of 'em...... :lol:

Thank you very much. I will try the oil and soap again. Whitefly population have grown tremendously these past few weeks. Ive tried neem insecticide doesnt seem to be working.

I do see some fuzzy stuff before like the last picture u posted. In between the main vein of the plant. How often do i spray the white oil?

The fuzzy stuff in my pic may just be normal plant hairs. It's the white specks that are the cause for alarm.

One thing I should have added concerning oils is to be careful how often you use them. They can create a layer on the leaf and end up "suffocating" it. Always refer to the label of your product for how often you should apply.

Like I said too, it is possible that you may have successfully taken care of the broad mite (for now) and the damage is still persisting due to spread of toxin.

My suggestion before doing anything else is to remove (prune) the already damaged growth and go from there. Even if you are left with nothing more than twigs of a plant, if it has come to that point, you have nothing to lose.

Some other advice I can give is to not only treat your chilli plants for the mite but the rest of yard/garden also. It will do no good treating only your chillies if other plants are hosting the mite also--they will come straight back. Also ensure your yard is kept free of weeds which may also host the mite.

Thank you very much. I will try the oil and soap again. Whitefly population have grown tremendously these past few weeks. Ive tried neem insecticide doesnt seem to be working.

I do see some fuzzy stuff before like the last picture u posted. In between the main vein of the plant. How often do i spray the white oil?

I am also using neem to spray my plants. Apply it daily if you need to until u get it under control.
I had bad white fly infestation on my small plants earlier on I had to spray continuously.
They have thinned out considerably now and i spray once a week. Good luck to you!

I am also using neem to spray my plants. Apply it daily if you need to until u get it under control.
I had bad white fly infestation on my small plants earlier on I had to spray continuously.
They have thinned out considerably now and i spray once a week. Good luck to you!

Yeah, I've never had a problem using neem regularly... it's more the frequent use of white oil that may cause problems. I was also using some botanical oil blend regularly there at one stage that was quite thick and ended up causing leaf drop (due to "suffocation").

I've yet to try them myself but whitefly baits/traps might be another option on top of spray control??

Just found this on my Caribbean Red. Ugh. Plucked all involved growth that I could identify for what it is worth. Time will tell.

Lol I'm chasing locust in my back yard with a thong in one hand and a beer in the other , I can see it buggered if I can hit them lol

Back