Has Anyone Bought Seed from www.reimerseeds.com?

Don't buy from them, they have an impressive list of chiles but they are a bunch of scammers with crappy seeds. I repeat do not buy from them. They have a horrible reputation online and I know cus I personally got screwed. Do a search and you'll see lots of complaints and their customer service sucks.

Thanks again for the advice, does anyone know of a good source for indian peppers??...some of the varieties I'm looking for Bedgi, Titimiti, Alodona, Portuguese chilli, Tarvati, Sankeshwari, Double Resham Patti , Aleppo, and Tomato chilli or Warangal Chappata.

It depends if the pod has been dried in a dehydrator or not. The heat would probably kill the seed. A naturally dried pod is natures way of spreading genetics.

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
It depends if the pod has been dried in a dehydrator or not. The heat would probably kill the seed. A naturally dried pod is natures way of spreading genetics.

True, and most packaged brands use this method, or freeze-drying, to speed the drying process...which renders the seed not viable and impossible to germinate....but I would still try some seeds anyhow, you may get lucky.:)

Daisy7117 said:
True, and most packaged brands use this method, or freeze-drying, to speed the drying process...which renders the seed not viable and impossible to germinate....but I would still try some seeds anyhow, you may get lucky.:)

Also,....unless the seeds were selectively bred for that particular variety of pepper, you may end up getting a hybrid that is nothing like the mother plant...(ie. different color, taste, etc..)

if its been dried in a dehydrator I wouldnt waste the time trying to grow the seeds, I did this & at best 1% grew, planted about 100 seeds from my dehydrated chiles awhile back.

It definitely has to do with the heat of the dehyrating process. I dehyrate mine with less heat over a longer period of time and when its done this way I get great germination from seeds.

I agree with POTAWIE you can definetly use dehydrated pods for seeds all of mine are from a dehydrater and I have great gemination %. My dehydrater is set at 105 Deg. I did a test on mine and out of 60 seeds of 12 varieties 3 did not germinate but I only waited about 20 days and threw them out so who knows about those three.

Dale

POTAWIE said:
It definitely has to do with the heat of the dehyrating process. I dehyrate mine with less heat over a longer period of time and when its done this way I get great germination from seeds.

thepodpiper said:
I agree with POTAWIE you can definetly use dehydrated pods for seeds all of mine are from a dehydrater and I have great gemination %. My dehydrater is set at 105 Deg. I did a test on mine and out of 60 seeds of 12 varieties 3 did not germinate but I only waited about 20 days and threw them out so who knows about those three.

Dale

I agree, using a dehydrator yourself at a low temp. (105 F) is definitely the way to go, but commercially, if your looking to germinate seed from chillies packaged for consumption....the drying/dehydrating process is done at a much higher temp. (60 C or roughly 140 F)....and kills the seed...although you may find some that are still viable....if you do it yourself at a low temp. you should be ok. :)

ok like I said in another thread, maybe I was harsh to say 1%.
only a couple seeds sprouted for me out about 100 seeds. but looking at what you dried your chiles at I can see why I had a problem, I dried mine at 135F/58C thats what it said on the top of the dehydrator for fruits & vegetables so thats what I did :oops: bad move on my part :lol:

but if you want to save seeds why not just take them out & be 100% sure to not over heat them in a dehydrator by leaving them lay on paper towels to dry. plus running the dehydrator at low temps for longer period of time might cost you more in electric to do so vs just drying the chiles at higher temps for shorter period of time.

What kind of dehydrator do you use, any recommendations on brands and where to purchase?...basically I'd be interested in a small one.

Get one with adjustable heat and one that you can add more trays if/when needed. I have a Nesco with motor on top which eliminates a lot of mess. Low temps for longer period of time and you'll retain more flavor. You don't want to cook the peppers just take out the moisture.

I also have a Nesco, with the motor on the bottom I think it is the garden master. I bought mine at Cabela's for around $100.

chilihunter, as for taking the seeds out, for me it is just easier to do it this way because i am dealing with thousands of peppers. Hey I thought you didn't take the seeds out of your peppers LOL.:lol: I had to say that chilihunter.

Dale

Back