smokers SMOKERS-gas, electric, charcoal which is more cost effective

im in the market for a smoker and would really like to know taking the cost of the smoker and chips aside.. which is more cost effective...

ELECTRIC.. CHARCOAL.... propane??

denniz

I use electric Luhr-Jensen Mini-Chief's for smoking salmon, drying tomato's and things that need lower than bbq temps.

Their larger Chief and Big Chief's can be found in use by 1000's of Alaskan being used from smoking fish to making moose jerky.

They are tip top.

For bbq ribs, brisket, pork butts, I much prefer charcoal with wood chunks.

I use it in my homemade drum smoker.

2 bbq's ago I loaded the basket it with about 1/3 of the 10 pound bag.

Total time for those both combined was well over 10 hours.

I have enough left to do another 3 hours or so.

With a quality built and sealed smoker/bbq charcoal can be very efficient and economical.

For the long burn times , I don't recommend propane.

Not sure about price comparisons but if your smoker is well sealed and you use the minion method you can make a bag of coals last 10+ hours.

I am kind of a born again beginner.
I just bought a Masterbuilt Pro at Home Depot for $179
It is dual fuel, either Propane/Charcoal.
I am very happy with it as a starting point, and regardless of what fuel you use, including electric,
You need to keep adding soaked chips to it. So don't get lazy.

Gas and Electric are for lazy people.

Or for people that use theirs on a covered wooden porch, and don't want to worry about coals.

Sorry THP. Minion method. Is there a link for that.

Denniz

Minion method is awesome. Some guy Minion came up with it, and it makes so much sense. Heat rises, so fires that burn down burn slower. So create your pile of coals. Now fill your charcoal starter (chimney thing) and start your coals. When red, put these coals on top of the pile of unlit coals. Now your fire will burn down, not up, or entirely. Place your wood chip/chunks on top. Add as needed, even coals, but you probably won't need.

Scovie don't waste your time soaking chips in water.

It doesn't really penetrate and does nothing for the smoke.

Well, they last longer and you get less of the burning wood taste and more smoke.

Everyone does it different kinda the beauty of BBQ.

Minion method is awesome. Some guy Minion came up with it, and it makes so much sense. Heat rises, so fires that burn down burn slower. So create your pile of coals. Now fill your charcoal starter (chimney thing) and start your coals. When red, put these coals on top of the pile of unlit coals. Now your fire will burn down, not up, or entirely. Place your wood chip/chunks on top. Add as needed, even coals, but you probably won't need.

This is how I do it too, but I also bury some wood chunks in with the unlit coals.

This is a great site with tons of info and recipes for BBQ. The article on setting up your smoker is awesome. I pretty much follow it to a T.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/index.html

I've heard the "don't waste your time" soaking before but I like it better. It's not steam, it's a milder smoke, I've smoked some stuff that smelled like a house was burning. I don't like that taste and it's easy to oversmoke your food. You get that burning smell. Soaked is a silkier, dense smoke, and yes, the chips last. I Iike a mild, sweet smoke. I use a lot of fruit woods, sometimes mixed with oak or hickory. It's all in what you like. Overall apple is my favorite wood. The chips are so small they burn up and have that harsh flavor unless soaked. Chunks, logs, different story.

This is how I do it too, but I also bury some wood chunks in with the unlit coals.

If you're using chunks that's probably why you don't soak, the chips though, become black harsh flavoring agents within minutes unless soaked, in my experience.

I like it D.

That's it then...

I'm a Soaker.

I knew it! You came out of the smoker :lol:

I know this...

I have heated my house with wood wherever I have lived since I can remember. (longer than yesterday :) )
green or wet wood creates Creosote. NOT GOOD in your chimney. It's a fire hazard that is caused by burning wood and moisture building up over time.
There are other factors such as wood-stove heat/ smoke/ chimney temperature. (like condensation on a whiskey glass on a hot day).
You won't get creosote with dry seasoned firewood.
Anyway, it seems to me, the "creosote" is what flavors your food. Hence using tasty wood like fruit woods, hickory and ALDER.

Moisture in the wood IS the flavor.

Back when I lived on The Rock, all I ever used was live Alder. I would go cut a 1-1/2" branch and chip it up, throw it in the pan with some water and repeat.
"Chuncks" of wood will react the same as any other soaked or dry chips, just more of it.

IMO.

Back