smokers SMOKERS-gas, electric, charcoal which is more cost effective

Plus water = good for keeping meat moist, it's why people water smoke. So Scov, it just makes sense, you and I are soakers, the rest are jokers. :D

Poo on Jokers!

My smoker even has an additional pan just above the chip pan for whatever kind of LIQUID you want....
Water,
Juice,
Beer,

All very tasty.

Poo on Jokers!

My smoker even has an additional pan just above the chip pan for whatever kind of LIQUID you want....
Water,
Juice,
Beer,

All very tasty.

That pan is generally used for water and it's to help regulate changes in temperature. The Amazingribs website has another really good article on it as well and an explanation of why you only need to use water in it. But just like the boss says that's one of the great things about BBQ, everybody has a preferred method!

If everyone did it the same, that wouldn't be any fun. My friend is always asking me advice, and says he does it different, but I tell him if it tastes good in the end you're doing it right.

There is a science to a lot of it though, like plateau periods, pulling temp, etc. etc.

If you're using chunks that's probably why you don't soak, the chips though, become black harsh flavoring agents within minutes unless soaked, in my experience.

That's what I was thinking too. When you guys are using soaked chips are you putting them on the coals or in a pan? I'm thinking the reason you don't want to soak is if you're putting the wood directly on the coals it could effectively lower your temperature. But if you're keeping the wet chips off the coals and using a pan you wouldn't have to worry about this.

Anybody ever use pellets? I bought a bag of cherry wood pellets to cold smoke with and am wondering if I could mix them in with the charcoal.

If everyone did it the same, that wouldn't be any fun. My friend is always asking me advice, and says he does it different, but I tell him if it tastes good in the end you're doing it right.

There is a science to a lot of it though, like plateau periods, pulling temp, etc. etc.

Agreed, it's also fun to experiment and see how it turns out. Especially when you can get a pork shoulder for two bucks a pound. I smoked three dozen wings last night. Used apple wood chunks and the Kingsford competition briquettes. Kept the temp just under 300 and smoked for two hours. The wife and kid loved them. But I did learn that I need to flip the wings a couple of times to keep them from getting too charred, the ones on the outside were really crispy too. Need to remember to flip and rearrange. Next time I think I'll try to get the temperature about 50 degrees lower also.

Great point WB01. I am putting soaked chips on a chip pan above the propane burner.
There is a tiny cool down for about 5 minutes just after adding wood chips, but that is probably more from opening the chip door.
After 5 minutes, it's right back to whatever set temp I had before.

You're also right about just adding water, I just like the smell of beer and woodsmoke coming out of the smoker better. :D
Not really adding flavor, just enjoying the process.... hee hee hee

Wow. Hmmm. Went from which was more effective to smoker To soak Vs no soak. Lol. All very good information. Will have to soak in all this info when I get home from work. So should I get the one from HD for $179 electric. ?! And smokers. Do they go on sale after the summer ?!

Denniz

OK, I'm here~ not that I really know what the heck I'm talking about with smokers etc.....

As far as the most economical, I'm not sure in what sense you mean "economical". The best price? The least cost per smoke?

Unless you live somewhere where electricity costs more than propane, electric is the most cost effective if you're looking at how much is it going to cost to cook a rack of ribs, and charcoal would be the most expensive per session.

For initial cost of the unit, we bought an electric Masterbuilt at about the same price as Scovie's propane unit.

I like the total ease of set-it-and-ferget-it of the electric unit. Also, when reading reviews, the unit we bought got high marks in range of temp. Some units couldn't get higher temps, like anything over 250F. Ours can go up over 400F. I've never cooked with charcoal, but it seems like charcoal would need more fussing around with to keep a constant temp, and if the wind kicks up, you'd have to really keep up on it, etc. Yea, call me lazy, I don't mind... I've spent enough years in the food industry that I don't need to be all fussing with stuff to get it done. Getting the job done in an efficient manner with less work for me....that's my concern.

One thing that Scovie's unit had that ours doesn't is a separate door for the fire box. I only have one door so when I refill the chips, I loose all the heat in the cooking chamber.

Anyway, not sure if this helps in your decision. It's nice to hear other's viewpoints.

and yea.....I'm a soaker, too. ;) Been rockin' the pear wood recently. We got a couple nice branches from an orchardist friend. We use the chop saw to cut off thin disks of wood. Works like a charm!

Electric it is. Thanks salsa"lazy" I mead Salsalady. Yes. You're right about the cost effective. I was more looking at per session. How much charcoal does one session of let's say peppers. Or ribs. Vs propane and electricity. But I guess it varies as propane and electricity prices are different. Now the fun part. Which model and brand. Because I def like be input of dual doors. Don't want to lose heat when adding chips. Again thanks to everyone for adding their inputs and resources regarding this topic.

Denniz

Meat is different than Peppers.
Peppers you want to dry and that's about it...
Meat, like Ribs or Pork But roast, you want 9 hours. at 250º period. it needs that time to break down the sinew meat fibers. Trust.
2 different things.

Same thing as you do in the oven, but with smoke.
Think of your smoker as an "Oven with Smoke".

Low and Slow... bro..

Some clown on the internet posts some drivel like that and you believe it? Poo.
Living in Alaska, I'm sure you have thrown a very green piece of wood on a camp fire.
Does it burn? Yes. Are there moisture bubbles coming out of the end grain? Yes.
Does it take 3 times longer to burn than dry wood? Yes
It only burns when there is already a fire hot enough to burn it.
A hot fire with absolute dry wood creates almost NO smoke at all.

And of coarse wood chips will only gain 3% wbv. They're tiny little wood chips.

All I'm tryin to say is....
I'm still drunk.

Some clown on the internet posts some drivel like that and you believe it? Poo.
Living in Alaska, I'm sure you have thrown a very green piece of wood on a camp fire.
Does it burn? Yes. Are there moisture bubbles coming out of the end grain? Yes.
Does it take 3 times longer to burn than dry wood? Yes
It only burns when there is already a fire hot enough to burn it.
A hot fire with absolute dry wood creates almost NO smoke at all.

And of coarse wood chips will only gain 3% wbv. They're tiny little wood chips.

All I'm tryin to say is....
I'm still drunk.

HAH!

You just proved my case.

When heated to boiling, water evaporates in the form of steam.

Enjoy your steamed ribs!

I find my propane smoker was the most cost efficient but not the easiest to use or best flavor . For me a propane tank costs less than a big bag of charcoal and seems to last twice as long or longer but I much prefer using charcoal and hardwoods vs. smoldering wood chips/shavings

Anyway, it seems to me, the "creosote" is what flavors your food. Hence using tasty wood like fruit woods, hickory and ALDER.

IMO.

I was taught creosote is your worst enemy when smoking meats. When I first started I thought the more smoke the better. My meat came out VERY smoky flavored, it gave my wife headaches and my smoker dripped nasty black creosote. Since then I've learned you only want a light whisper of thin blue smoke, most people who try my meat say it's the best they've every had, and my wife can tolerate it. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, I see lots of roadside BBQ's with smoke pouring out the pipes.

wbyrd01 said:
That's what I was thinking too. When you guys are using soaked chips are you putting them on the coals or in a pan? I'm thinking the reason you don't want to soak is if you're putting the wood directly on the coals it could effectively lower your temperature. But if you're keeping the wet chips off the coals and using a pan you wouldn't have to worry about this.
phreak said:
I was taught creosote is your worst enemy when smoking meats. When I first started I thought the more smoke the better. My meat came out VERY smoky flavored, it gave my wife headaches and my smoker dripped nasty black creosote. Since then I've learned you only want a light whisper of thin blue smoke, most people who try my meat say it's the best they've every had, and my wife can tolerate it. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right, I see lots of roadside BBQ's with smoke pouring out the pipes.
I agree with the mild smoke as I have stated. Oversmoked, to me, is when you're smoking and it doesn't smell sweet and enticing. I like to sit by the smoker and enjoy the smoke. If you can't because the smoke is too intense you are probably over smoking. It will taste bitter and smell like it was pulled from a fire instead of a nice, sweet, delicate smoke. I soak my chips. When I don't they burn and create that bitter taste. A handful of soaked chips on top of the coals creates a nice blue smoke, and does not lower the temp. To me chips are hobbyish though, and burning sticks and chunks is a step up. I do have a stick burner after all. And you don't need to soak them. A good wood fire, oak and apple, mmmm. I do the chips out of necessity and convenience but I do like it and have found soaking them is better for me. Soakers unite.

Back