• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

Rocket Fuel #2

Rocket Fuel is what I'm calling a sauce that is a mix up of super hots. This one comes via a nice snack pack that romy6 sent me. It started like this:

EB4B3F76-9532-4572-8008-81FD7FB895EB-7444-00000AE82038371F.jpg

1 Yellow 7
3 Hybrid bhut
3 brains
2 choclate bhuts
1 true red hab
1 douglah cross
1chocalate hab
1 cup of Agave Nectar
1 cup of Lager
10 cloves of garlic
1 Huge sweet onion
4 carrots
2 small cans tomato paste
2 Tbs Salt
Lemon and key Lime Juice
After Hackin and Whacking it was simmer, simmer, simmer and into the Blender for some whirly whirly whirl.
I also added some reconstituted New Mexico's, Chile Pasilla Entero and Chile California's that Socville Deville had sent me.
Back to the pot for second simmer.

8A9AC870-B454-41F0-9D74-F6EFD6E31EA1-7444-00000AED9C195A9A.jpg

There were a lot of seeds in there so I pressed it through a sieve

8A0F16E3-4350-48F2-AB12-E8C07826CAB0-7444-00000AED98EA93A9.jpg

Then heated it up to 200 degrees F and bottled.

29FD83F7-D694-4A9F-8095-29F32F10D250-7444-00000AEDA46559BE.jpg

9839454D-B12B-4D04-8F13-9170445E55AE-7444-00000AEDB339A45B.jpg

Believe me that color is a true indication that this baby is hot!

Cheers Y'all,
RM

Lets see

hack and whack bout 15 - 20 minutes
simmer 45 mins
blend - 15 minutes
simmer - 30 mins
sieve - 10 minutes
heat to min of 195 for 15 minutes (reheat if it gets below 185)
bottle about 20 minutes
Invert and pop sauce to the top of the nect for 15 minutes

so using Artillery round up about 3 hours give or take but your not constantly having to do something.

Lol. "artillery round". Been there, done that. Standby.....FIRE!!!

Thanks, the wheels are turning. Trying to determine if I am gonna overdo it if I spring for a box of bottles, ph meter, and make a few bottles of sauce before I head out. I am already pressed for time, but like I was telling brian, I have spent more time here than in the growing forums in the past 3 days....

3 hours isn't that big of a deal, especially since I can do it inside...just to find a store to get bottles quick....

Since I'm not doing it professionally I just go to the store and get however many bottles of a sauce they have for 69 cents a bottle and save the shipping charge. Then dump the old strip the label and steralize.Then refill add a shrink band when I have them and put my label on. Ordering bottles it costs as much or.more for shipping as it does for the botttles if your only getting g a few.

Sanitization depends, if I have some Idphor or Star San on hand which I use for homebrewing I'll use that. If not I run them through the dishwasher with the heated dry on then soak in bleach water solution.

The target sir shelf stability is Ph 4.0. My fermented sauces come out at 3.4 religiously. For non fermented sauces I play with lemon, lime and rice vinegar till its below 4.0. Getting it below 4.0 will give you 6 months.

do you know how much lemon/lime you added? and did you include any vinegar? i received a bunch of brains in the mail and i would like to make something similar to your sauce, it looks amazing.

First off, welcome to THP From Orlando.

I started with 2 Tbs of Key Lime juice and 1/4 cup of Lemon Juice. I typically don't use alot of vinegar in my sauces unless theyre starting to take on a strong Lime / Lemon flavor and I still need to bring down the Ph some more. Then I'll use some Rice Vinegar.

In this sauce the Ph at the start of the second simmer was like 4.2. I added another 1/4 cup of Lemon Juice and after the second simmer it was at 3.6, good to go.

Pic 1 it's not thinner than BBQ Sauce and very smooth. It's more like the thickness of like a wing sauce.

First off, welcome to THP From Orlando.

I started with 2 Tbs of Key Lime juice and 1/4 cup of Lemon Juice. I typically don't use alot of vinegar in my sauces unless theyre starting to take on a strong Lime / Lemon flavor and I still need to bring down the Ph some more. Then I'll use some Rice Vinegar.

In this sauce the Ph at the start of the second simmer was like 4.2. I added another 1/4 cup of Lemon Juice and after the second simmer it was at 3.6, good to go.

Pic 1 it's not thinner than BBQ Sauce and very smooth. It's more like the thickness of like a wing sauce.

Thanks! I have made a couple sauces with vinegar, but I want to try and make a few with just lime and/or lemon juice. I'll have to go pick up a PH testing kit and experiment.

Nice, maybe I need to put a "Not for use by personnel under XX years old" statement on it.

Actually when my daughters bring their boyfriends over it's all I can do to keep from cracking up. They tell them how I spent 20 years in the Army with 2 combat tours and that I'm this big Hot Sauce maker and of course these teenaged boys have to prove just how tough they are and just love hot sauce. So I'll give them a bottle of sauce at dinner that's about Jalapeno level and see how they handle it then I'll break out some nice Bhut or Scorpion powder and do mine up, After a couple of bites and they see I breakin a little sweat they just have to try it too. So i'll hand it to them and give the daughter a nod to get the relief ready. Only 1 has p-assed the heat test.

Now that said, when my oldest was about a year old we were watching a show on TV and i made some natchos. i went into the kitchen and got a fresh cold one and when I came back she was standing at the coffee table pulling the Jalapenos off and eating them and wouldn't stop then when i took them away she pitched a big fit. I looked at Mary and said yep, that's my daughter :)

Your raising him right Matt

Oh, RM! That sauce looks RICH!!!!! Yum-O!!!!! :D

MG - so fun to see a pic of your little one!!!! I 'member when he was born!!!! And how we kept you entertained while he was incubating! hahahaha

Great story about your 'peno girl RM! Does she still like heat?! I was introducing my 7 yr old goddaughter to fresnos a few weeks ago - she's got serious chilehead potential!!!!!!! :)

That's allot of hackin, wackin, blendin, and seivin! Lots of great sounding ingredients in this one. I love the garlic and lime juice flavors as well as the Agave. No need to speculate on the heat level based on the peppers you got in there... Gonna be smokin!
Sounds right on!

Oh, RM! That sauce looks RICH!!!!! Yum-O!!!!! :D

MG - so fun to see a pic of your little one!!!! I 'member when he was born!!!! And how we kept you entertained while he was incubating! hahahaha

Great story about your 'peno girl RM! Does she still like heat?! I was introducing my 7 yr old goddaughter to fresnos a few weeks ago - she's got serious chilehead potential!!!!!!! :)

She's the only one of my girls that like any heat. she can now handle heats up to Habanero level but prefers to stay around jalapeno level. Her boyfirends though.........................:)

Now my 2 new little ones, 6 and 7, I've gotten the boy to try some Jalapeno sauce and he likes it so it'll only be a matter of time till the true Chiliheaad comes out. My little girl I think is going to be like mom and her sister and not a heat lover, but maybe........

That's allot of hackin, wackin, blendin, and seivin! Lots of great sounding ingredients in this one. I love the garlic and lime juice flavors as well as the Agave. No need to speculate on the heat level based on the peppers you got in there... Gonna be smokin!
Sounds right on!

It is good heat level is a little low due to the volume of sauce I made. Should have doubled the amount of peppers but it's still got a good heat.

Back