• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Chocolate Cayenne

I didn't grow any chocolate cayenne peppers, but I have a plant of them. Not even certain if there are chocolate cayenne peppers, but this is what it looks like. It was labeled thick cayenne, which came from my own seeds I gathered from the thick cayenne I grew the previous year.

ChocolateCayenne.jpg

Awesome, I have 3 unknown plants this year that look nothing like the parent pods where I plucked the seeds. I still blame the bees but it is my own fault for providing an ideal habitat! I'l love to have those for my chocolate powder blend.

Wow, do they taste different? Would you be willing to trade for some of those? They look awesome, and I'm deff a cayenne lover, I use it in 75% of my cooking! It's very unique, i'd love to make it into some powder like Joyners said :)

Cayenne is definitely my staple as well. I grew up in the restaurant business and I cooked a lot of cajun and creole dishes. Are you looking for seeds or pods? Not sure how pods hold up in the mail and how fast it gets where its going. Don't know if they will grow the same next year either. Not sure what they would have crossed with last year as I had just the basic mid majors for heat and no chocolates last year.

I only tasted the stem end which broke off of one of the pods when I picked it. There is a sweetness to it, but still some heat. Cayenne heat, but I don't think it is as high as a thick cayenne. Of course, I am having wide varying temps on the same plant this year. If I got the pods I don't have a problem sharing. Only the one plant this year, but you can bet I will have 6 of them next year :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Thanks!!!

Very nice. My cayennes are all kinda spindly. I got one plant where a few at a time are ripening, and another where only one has ripened so far.

I have 5 thick cayenne plants and they are kicking out the pods fast. Almost got a pint jar filled with powder and have two more trays in the dehydrator now. Are you growing the slender cayenne variety? I try to always grow the thick as it produces so well.

The regular slender Burpee variety. I'm growing Kung paos as well, which are very similar looking, but not one even looks like it's thinking about ripening. Hopefully the cooler weather will bring it on.

I'm not sure which variety my cayennes are, they are very long and slender, but produce a lot of peppers! I'm also growing a cayenne blend, which has a great variety and various colors, but I'm not sure what the taste difference is like. Its funny you mentioned Cajun/ creole cooking...I live in Louisiana right now :)

Let me know if you get enough seeds/ or pods to trade, even if they dont turn out the same next year im still interested to see what happens :)

Cayenne is definitely my staple as well. I grew up in the restaurant business and I cooked a lot of cajun and creole dishes. Are you looking for seeds or pods? Not sure how pods hold up in the mail and how fast it gets where its going. Don't know if they will grow the same next year either. Not sure what they would have crossed with last year as I had just the basic mid majors for heat and no chocolates last year.

I only tasted the stem end which broke off of one of the pods when I picked it. There is a sweetness to it, but still some heat. Cayenne heat, but I don't think it is as high as a thick cayenne. Of course, I am having wide varying temps on the same plant this year. If I got the pods I don't have a problem sharing. Only the one plant this year, but you can bet I will have 6 of them next year :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Thanks!!!

I have 5 thick cayenne plants and they are kicking out the pods fast. Almost got a pint jar filled with powder and have two more trays in the dehydrator now. Are you growing the slender cayenne variety? I try to always grow the thick as it produces so well.

Very cool! I didnt realize there was a chocolate cayenne, but it doesnt surprise me. Anybody know there is a Golden Cayenne? that is supposed to be the hottest Cayenne apparently

Not sure what they would have crossed with last year as I had just the basic mid majors for heat and no chocolates last year.

It is also possible they may have been a hybrid to begin with and are just growing out differently this generation. Whatever the case though, they do look awesomely cool! :cool:

Just coined a phrase.... Sweet with heat, a real treat. :D

Colour aside, do the pods look like that of the parent? Don't know much about it or the chances, but colour mutation **might** be another possibility??

Let me know if you get enough seeds/ or pods to trade, even if they dont turn out the same next year im still interested to see what happens :)

I will have seeds without a doubt. I'm not sure how many pods the plant has right now. Have had a couple nights in the upper 40s. Sure hope its not an early frost...I got pods to pick lol

Yes I would definitely would LOVE some seeds. And thanks for posting this, its very cool to see peppers take on various traits and no seeds are the alike. Let me know when you harvest :)

I will have seeds without a doubt. I'm not sure how many pods the plant has right now. Have had a couple nights in the upper 40s. Sure hope its not an early frost...I got pods to pick lol

I too would be interested in a few of those seeds. If they prove out to be a stable chocolate cayenne it would be awesome. Personally I really enjoy the Thai dragon cayenne's for a good mix of heat and a bit of sweetness.

Dragon cayenne? On no... There are sooo many! I must collect them all haha

I too would be interested in a few of those seeds. If they prove out to be a stable chocolate cayenne it would be awesome. Personally I really enjoy the Thai dragon cayenne's for a good mix of heat and a bit of sweetness.

Looks interesting indeed, how as it flavor wise? I would like some seeds as well, if possible

@TOAW, I'm growing Joe's Long Cayenne this season and I really liked the flavor of it a lot! The golden I had just tasted the same as the red version but the heat was higher, but not sure if mine were true golden cayenne since they all stay tiny and have a little stinger.

IMAG0162_.jpg

Back