food STEAK!!

Grilled some sides, but cooked this prime New Zealand, grass fed steak sous vide.  It was way more gamey than I'm accustomed to.  Rubbed with Dru BQ. <edit - no sign of "Prime">

20107191601_6e5d6aa92e_b.jpg

grantmichaels said:
I'm not familiar w/ the meat of which you speak, but it's a nice looking plate nonetheless.

It was a "Beef Ribeye Steak" from prebeef.com
ribeye-steak.png

2 types of eggplant - salted, rested and rinsed, then oiled and salted and peppered
3 types of fingerling potatoes - seasoned with salt, pepper, habanero powder, cumin and garlic powder and some crazy farmers market onion
Haricot Vert with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic powder and more of that cool onion

All grilled and tasty -- potatoes maybe a bit overdone but I was happy.

20093779022_fe81e01e26_b.jpg

bierz said:

ribeye-steak.png

bierz,  very nice looking plate of food.....I haven't heard of that company before, but at 42 % less flavor..fat, the Ribeye looks a bit more lean from the norm.That cut might be the perfect cut for the 2 day marinade.

Plenty of good butcher shops up northside.

PIC 1 said:

bierz,  very nice looking plate of food.....I haven't heard of that company before, but at 42 % less flavor..fat, the Ribeye looks a bit more lean from the norm.That cut might be the perfect cut for the 2 day marinade.

Plenty of good butcher shops up northside.

I definitely agree.  I picked this up at Mariano's while hunting for some other groceries and thought I'd give it a try.  The picture I included in the post of the packaged steak was from their website and mine had some pretty nice lacing.  I really didn't like the flavor of this though so I'm not going to buy it again. 

bierz said:

I definitely agree.  I picked this up at Mariano's while hunting for some other groceries and thought I'd give it a try.  The picture I included in the post of the packaged steak was from their website and mine had some pretty nice lacing.  I really didn't like the flavor of this though so I'm not going to buy it again. 

I don't know Chicago well at all, having only been once back in my Arthur Andersen days ...

But I have a friend with similar interests up there, and he swears by these folks:
http://thebutcherandlarder.com/

Don't know if that's near you, but I've seen many nice pieces of meat in his feed over the years ...

grantmichaels said:

I don't know Chicago well at all, having only been once back in my Arthur Andersen days ...

But I have a friend with similar interests up there, and he swears by these folks:
http://thebutcherandlarder.com/

Don't know if that's near you, but I've seen many nice pieces of meat in his feed over the years ...

Ha! It's funny you say that, as I have a second tab open in my browser right now with the website for Local Foods open in it.  Butcher and Larder relocated a few weeks ago into this shared space with a bunch of local food purveyors and I intend to check it out soon.   I live a few blocks from their old location and though it's pricey, it's great quality stuff.

I order from Pat La Frieda all the time, and they've since adopted the Goldbely system as their own, I believe (or that  might have been Katz's, can't recall) ...

PLF beef is excellent. Arrives cold/fresh, never frozen, and you have a week to use it ... but I've used it at 9 days and it's still seemingly fresher than most grocery aisle ground, LOL ...
bierz said:

Ha! It's funny you say that, as I have a second tab open in my browser right now with the website for Local Foods open in it.  Butcher and Larder relocated a few weeks ago into this shared space with a bunch of local food purveyors and I intend to check it out soon.   I live a few blocks from their old location and though it's pricey, it's great quality stuff.

You might enjoy following T. Ptacek's adventures, he's at @tqbf on twitter ...

He's a infosec guy up there, but they do all the crazy modernist shit ... liquid nitrogen etc ...
ColdSmoke said:
whoa...that's pricey!

A little off topic but check this place out ...it's near Chicago also. Best salami I've ever had. https://www.bende.com/index.php?cPath=56

thanks for sharing, anything you like in particular - for when I check it out? =)

Back