• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review HeatAddicts Review of Mrs. Renfro's Ghost Pepper Salsa

I agree - it's not hot by any means. I don't think it's your tolerance - I still cook my mouth a bit eating a regular Habanero and I don't find that salsa hot at all. I seriously questioned whether they actually used ghost peppers. It's a jarred salsa so you're not going to get that crisp fresh from the garden taste, but for what it is (and for $1.50 a jar at Big Lots) it's one of the better jarred salsas on the market.

As I said in another jarred salsa review, I truly believe jarring a salsa steals its soul. But I'm in CA where I am spoiled by being able to throw a rock in any direction and hit a taqueria that has at least 1 great home-made salsa fresca.

I do disagree with 6/10 for heat - I think it's closer to a 4 personally. But we all have our tastes. ;)

I agree - it's not hot by any means. I don't think it's your tolerance - I still cook my mouth a bit eating a regular Habanero and I don't find that salsa hot at all. I seriously questioned whether they actually used ghost peppers. It's a jarred salsa so you're not going to get that crisp fresh from the garden taste, but for what it is (and for $1.50 a jar at Big Lots) it's one of the better jarred salsas on the market.

Oh, I'm sure that it had ghost peppers in it. There just wasn't a noticeable amount in there. It definitely didn't have the level of burn I would associate with GPs though. That's for sure.

And I wish I had gotten mine for $1.50. I paid $4.00 for it at the beer store when I was picking up some bottles of Pumking.

As I said in another jarred salsa review, I truly believe jarring a salsa steals its soul. But I'm in CA where I am spoiled by being able to throw a rock in any direction and hit a taqueria that has at least 1 great home-made salsa fresca.

That is one of the things I miss about living on the west coast. The salsas, even in the Seattle area, were so much better than what we have out here in Buffalo. But the stuff I used to get when living in San Diego put all others to shame. It was soooo good.

Hell, the Mexican food options we have out here in WNY don't even qualify as real Mexican food, IMO. It sucks. There is a vendor at the farmer's market who makes a mean fresh salsa, at least, which is a definite plus. He's originally from SoCal, which might explain why he knows what's what when it comes to good salsa. I think we may need to pick up a tub of it this weekend, actually.

I do disagree with 6/10 for heat - I think it's closer to a 4 personally. But we all have our tastes. ;)

Considering I had eaten a whole Savannah 7 Hybrid a day and a half before filming this review, and could still notice the burn from this salsa, I stand behind the 6 heat rating. It may not have had me running for milk after trying it. But it still made my nose run and had my mouth feeling the burn. To me, that made the heat level slightly above average, just not by much.

To give you a better idea of how we rate the heat level, a 0 would be a bell pepper, and Tabasco would rate at about a 2.5-3. To give this salsa a 4 would mean it was only slightly hotter than Tabasco, which wouldn't be very accurate. I hope that makes sense.

Everyone's heat tolerance is different. A 6 to you may be a 4-5 to me. I didn't find this salsa to be particularly hot. I said so on the other review of it on this board. It's not a debate,its an opinion.
Good luck.

I am now wondering if there could be some inconstancies in heat level from jar to jar. i bought the ghost pepper, and the habanero to try them side by side. found the Habanero to have more heat when it was labeled the opposite. my jar of ghost pepper i would put at a 5 where i think the hab was more of a 6-6.5. i plan on finishing this jar and getting another. going to wait a few weeks to guarantee that i will have a different batch then see how it goes. or maybe ill just go to another safeway and try em side by side. ill experiment and report back ;)

I saw this stuff (ghost pepper salsa) at the store last weekend at the store on sale for $2.50.
So I bought one, and ate it in two days.

I bought another jar of it yesterday, and it's half gone. I love this stuff!
and I am NOT a fan of Mrs. Renfro's at all. I tend to stay away from bottled salsas anyway.
It's kind of mushy and saucy.

My opinion on the heat level would be 4-5...
I have never had the Habanero salsa they make, but maybe I should give it a shot.

Yeah, I think I need to get some more jars of this stuff, and from different stores. I want to see how consistent the heat level is, because it sounds like it might vary a little bit.

We have a jar of it right now about 1/2 gone. I think it is one of the better jared salsas and while it isn't "scary hot" like the label says, I would give it a 6ish. It is scary hot to my wife though. She can only handle a little bit and then has to wash it down with beer. :D

Their jalapeno salsa is quite good as well. Not hot at all, but has a good flavor. (I think my wife enjoys this heat level because she'll eat this up but complain a bit that it is spicy.)

Back