• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Saving Seeds for Spanish Padron?

Hi all,

This is my first year growing spanish padron and I'm not sure how to save seeds for them. Do they need to turn a red color first, or can I extract the seeds in the green stage?

I purposely left a few on the vine; they are huge now and have been green for over a month. I just want to make sure the seeds are viable.

Thanks for the help!

I'm growing padron peppers myself this year and it is my understanding/experience that you are going to get a much better germination rate if you let the peppers ripen fully before harvesting the seed.

I also grow Padron. This is a pepper that will take a considerable amount of time to turn red ripe. I will second Lando's opinion and would just add that some varieties at full ripeness express colors other than, red (I.e. Datil). I find the crunchy snap of raw Padron very enjoyable. Best of luck!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll definitely let the padrons turn red before harvesting seeds.

Also, the padrons need to turn red on the vine for the seeds to have the best chance for germination right? I know chillies can turn a mature color if I leave them out for awhile after I've picked them.

Thanks!

Back