• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Plant deficiencies?

Hey all,

Some of my plants have begun to show signs of issues. As you can see from the photos they have a light yellow tint and have become more puckered looking. I added some calcium about a week ago, but I'm not sure what else I need to do. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure that the photos are doing the issue any justice. They appear to be lighter and more puckered in person than in the photos.

Thanks!

8D229F58-6756-432E-B016-6EEB1221C675-5625-00000AAC49626EAD_zps8397ee24.jpg

0FC15FBB-CF87-4189-A50C-0A8AE3E6A673-5625-00000AAC43C3593A_zps60accffc.jpg

50415A84-B126-4329-A53A-CBB5A8106620-5625-00000AAC3E268434_zps8470d8ba.jpg

450B4129-2112-481C-8CDC-AB26A2386956-5625-00000AAC34871B17_zpsb869c407.jpg

Looks like fert burn or over watering. How offten do you use ferts? How often do you water?

I haven't fertilized them in months. However, when I had to go away for a couple of weeks I had to set my sprinklers to a specific interval. So, for two weeks they were watered every 5 days (approx. 3 times) when I was gone. I've been back now for over 3 weeks now and I'm back to watering how I normally do, which is "as needed." Which, my definition is when they are droopy.

wow thats 100% not fertilizer burn..... idk how you can come to that conclusion...

i dont understand why everyone always jumps onto the over fertilization conclusion.
over fertilization damages plants because the ionic solution of the fertilizers creat a hypotonic solution... basically the fertilizer is so concentrated that through osmotic pressure, water is sucked out of the plant. this leaves the newest growth burnt looking as it its water is sucked away from the low osmotic pressure of the plant into the concentrated as hell nutrient solution around the roots.

and when its not over fertilization its over watering? overwatering death is usually from microorganisms eating your roots... this plant shows NO wilting stress, its not over watered.

its just starving...that plant needs nitrogen badly. and probably other nutrients. nitrogen deficiency is characterize of a universal chlorosis from the bottom up. nitrogen is mobile so it will be translocated form the bottom leaves up through the plant. dont give it ammoniacal nitrogen, givt it nitrates.

here is a good source for plant deficiency information
http://5e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=3&id=289

don't sweat it your plants are making pods, after the pods are picked hit em with some epsom salt and ferts.. they will be fine. if there's no pods use epsom and ferts.

Not too much though as it's flowering and overuse of nitrogen will stop fruit production.

yes fair enough. i wasnt saying to just blast them. id go with atleast 150mg/l nitrates every couple of watering tho.

my plants grow in an inert medium and get like 190 mg/l nitrates 350mg/l potassium 4x daily

Can I just throw a little epsom salt onto the top of the soil, or do i need to dilute it in water then apply? If I can just add it, how much would I apply to a 7 gallon pot?

Thanks.

Did you have a whitefly infestation ever? To me it looks like it could use some nitrogen, but if it had been hit with pests you could have a different issue there. Also the roots could be water logged. Any chance you could pull them out of the pots to see if you have any algae growing on the outside of the roots?

Can I just throw a little epsom salt onto the top of the soil, or do i need to dilute it in water then apply? If I can just add it, how much would I apply to a 7 gallon pot?

Thanks.

i would add nitrogen before you add epsom salts... take it one thing at a time, or just add a complete balanced nutrient solution periodically.

your plants are clearly nitrogen deficient, not sulfur deficient. im not saying they couldnt use some so4 and mag, but i would make addressing your nitrogen deficiency a primary concern.

potassium nitrate or calcium nitrate, both cheap and easy sources of the venerable nitrate ion.

The leaves on my Golden Habanero look like that too but it is not causing any problems whatsoever. It has over 50 peppers on it with some very large ones as well.

This is a slightly old thread but I found it through a search so wanted to chim in in case others happen along.

Those are obviously nitrogen deficient. Epsom salt adds magnesium ...not nitrogen - although they probably need other ferts to. Hit them with fish emulsion. Its $7 a bottle and will help them out quick since its liquid based. Then top dress the surrounding soil with a granular like epsoma tomato tone (3-4-6) or garden tone (3-4-4) and water it in heavily. The fish emulsion will deliver nitrogen now and the granular will start to break down in a few weeks and feed for a length of time.

Once a month top dress around the base of the plant with the granular to keep things happy...permenantly. :)

Back