• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination question

I have a small 4 shelf portable greenhouse I am currently growing tomatoes on one shelf, they are on their 2nd set of leaves. I want to start my pepper seeds on another shelf, but will the grow lights from the above shelf affect germination? Or should they be kept in a dark place?

The light won't hurt germination of the pepper seeds at all. The only reason people don't use their light it's not needed while the seed under the dirt. Saves on electricity.

I left mine in the dark and in about a week they started to pop up. Plus after reading I found a warm spot in the house and an egg incubator and bingo it worked Not real good germination from the incubator but fair. What I have seen and read it does help to keep them warm for sure :P

Yep, just going to mirror what everyone else is saying (need some extra posts, I'm almost to 4,000 ya know).

You won't need light to germinate seed because they are underground.

I also like pie if that's any help.

imaguitargod said:
Yep, just going to mirror what everyone else is saying (need some extra posts, I'm almost to 4,000 ya know).

Yes, but soon you'll be off ass flapping around Europe, and I *will* catch up to you, my pretty!

*sound of wicked witch cackling*

I also like pie if that's any help.

I have your post count in my sights. There is no help for you.

put the peppers on the shelf above and the heat from the lights below might actually help (i'm assuming flourescents, i'm pretty sure anything else will cook 'em)
i also like pie, but prefer cake (and am trying for my second little bottle above my avatar...)

Pam said:
Yes, but soon you'll be off ass flapping around Europe, and I *will* catch up to you, my pretty!

*sound of wicked witch cackling*

I have your post count in my sights. There is no help for you.
Let the games....BEGIN!!!!!!!

I just saw the title 'Germination Question' so I hope my question's alright here. When you put a seed into soil to germinate is there any special way you should put it in (going by the shape of it)? It's just some of mine poke straight out of the soil and others sprout in a loop still having their head under the soil. Do you lie the seed on it's side? Slightly pointed bit up/down? Does it make a difference? Sorry if it's a stupid question.

Take note, IGG, this is post 2000. Just go on off to Europe with your bad self!

Ahem.

Rainbowberry, I drop my seeds into the seed starting mixture without any thought to what position they end up in, then drop some more seed starting mix on top of them, and finally lightly press it down. So, even if I did try and orient one end of the seed or the edge upwards, I would think it would get pushed into another position anyway.

the sprouted root does take kind of a predictable path, and it knows which way is up by using gravity (seeds are facinating). it doesn't really matter how you plant them, it'll sprout, go up a little then hook down then kinda pivot the top out of the soil and this way its positioned so that the hull will get pulled off.

Did someone say pie?

Seeds will germinate in the colder range, say 65F or so, but it takes longer. I am germinating seeds on top of my lights. It is water safe and warm on top of the my lights.

according to my boss peppers like darkness until they've sprouted. he told me to plant the seeds and water them, then put the seed flat into a black garbage bag and seal it. put that somewhere with bottom heat for about a week and then check on the seeds and they should be up. it worked pretty good, the only ones that didn't sprout when removed from the bag were the nagas, but they came up later.

I drop my seeds into the seed starting mixture without any thought to what position they end up in, then drop some more seed starting mix on top of them, and finally lightly press it down.

How fine is the seed raising mix you guys use? Do you screen it first? If so, how fussy are you in this regard?

ring sting said:
How fine is the seed raising mix you guys use? Do you screen it first? If so, how fussy are you in this regard?

I use a commercial seed starting mix, usually one made by Jiffy. It's not the best on the market, but it's good enough, and it's very available. I don't screen it, but it's fine and fluffy right out of the bag.

kracker said:
according to my boss peppers like darkness until they've sprouted. he told me to plant the seeds and water them, then put the seed flat into a black garbage bag and seal it. put that somewhere with bottom heat for about a week and then check on the seeds and they should be up. it worked pretty good, the only ones that didn't sprout when removed from the bag were the nagas, but they came up later.

not to be a smartass here but please tell me then how peppers manage to sprout themselves in the wild. I highly doubt they crawl under a rock into the darkness until they sprout. Darkness or light doesn't affect germination rate. Heck lights or not, its still dark under the soil.

I did not screen any of my starter. I did an expermient, I tried three different seed starters when I planted my seeds; Miracle Grow seed starter, Ferry Morse seed starter and Miracle Grow Cactus mix. I planted them last Friday and the fist started sprouting yesterday, so far Ferry morse has worked the best for me, but the Miracle Grow seed starter is starting to sprout a lot of peppers also.

Back