• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Germination question

gardenkiller said:
not to be a smartass here but please tell me then how peppers manage to sprout themselves in the wild. I highly doubt they crawl under a rock into the darkness until they sprout. Darkness or light doesn't affect germination rate. Heck lights or not, its still dark under the soil.

gardenkiller, I was doing some research today on growing peppers under lights and I came across a site that said there was a difference in germination times when seeds were in the dark. Although it was a site on commercial growing in a greenhouse but i do not think it matters what kind of building you germinate your seeds in. I will try and find the site and post it on here.

Dale

Jalapeno, Scotch Bonnet, Tabasco, Chocolate Hab, Peruvian White Hab, Fatalii, Congo Trinidad and Naga Morrich. The Congos were the first to sprout and the Scotch Bonnet were the last, but in less than a week every variety sprouted.

they sprouted or are above soil with leaves? that's good if it's a week :)

i'm at 1 week and i have 6 Japels with leaves, 2 mild habs. and 1 red savina popping it's head out
i used 1.5" Rockwook cubes though so i was able to see the seeds germinate through the seed hole.so i know atleast 8 of the J's are going to poke up. hopefully going for 70/70 :o.

i figure seeds germinate under ground and it's dark underground, so as long as you don't put the seed just on top of the soil i'm pretty sure it's dark enough.

New hot pepper grower here...needing help. I am going to grow Bhut Jolokia this year and saw that they are 120day pepper..yikes! I live in Central Il and that makes it hard to grow this pepper here..I think. So I decided to do some research on the internet and found out that germination can take weeks on hot peppers. SO......does anyone know how long germination takes for Bhut Jolokia?

ddrsheden said:
New hot pepper grower here...needing help. I am going to grow Bhut Jolokia this year and saw that they are 120day pepper..yikes! I live in Central Il and that makes it hard to grow this pepper here..I think. So I decided to do some research on the internet and found out that germination can take weeks on hot peppers. SO......does anyone know how long germination takes for Bhut Jolokia?
a couple of days to a couple of weeks. depends on the conditions.

thepodpiper said:
gardenkiller, I was doing some research today on growing peppers under lights and I came across a site that said there was a difference in germination times when seeds were in the dark. Although it was a site on commercial growing in a greenhouse but i do not think it matters what kind of building you germinate your seeds in. I will try and find the site and post it on here.

Dale

Also not to be a smart ass.....BUT IT IS DARK IN THE F%^&ING GROUND!!!!!lol NO offense intended, this just seems absolutely silly to me.

The garbage bag keeps humidity in, the dark may actually promote mold. End of story for me. My seeds are coming up in record time and the see light as soon as the poke through.

Back