• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

fertilizer Does compost tea replace other fertilizers?

Maybe I missed it in the sticky thread since there is so much information there. There was a link to a study but I didn't find the answer there either.

I am using compost tea for the first time next season, and I am wondering if it completely replaces other fertilizers. Last season I used an organic fish fertilizer.

Any suggestions? What works for you?

Does it completely replace other fertilizers? - It depends what you add to the tea while it's 'cooking'. Different stages of the plant's life need different nutrients.

Dyna-Gro Bloom is good for root development (there are other great products similar with their 3-12-6 composition).
Kelp is great for many stages of their growth.

I am not sure what I am putting in the tea yet, still doing my research.

So, by using different ingredients in the tea for different stages of the growing season it is possible to use only tea and no other fertilizers?

I am hoping to hear from people who use the tea, if they use other fertilizers as well, how often, etc...

absolutely, no other fertilizer, but the composition of the tea changes throughout their growth, depending on if you want to make them grow and only bloom a little, or slow vertical growth and make them explode with flowers.

Each plant is different so i make two seperate teas and blend them based on what i feel the plant needs most at that time for it to live up to it's potential.

I also take any over ripe fruit i have and save it for the teas, i've found organic pineapple, pears, and apples make great sugars instead of molasses, or boosted by a little of it, so they don't only have one type of carbohydrate and can make use of different types of sugars; make sure to smoosh them good or dice them so they have maximum surface area. if you use mycorrhizae they will love the additional organic matter to break down. the acid content of the fruit also seems to help the uptake of the nutrients for plants and it needs less additives for an acidic pH. Keep the kelp and fish emulsion constant throughout their growing, it doesn't hurt them one bit. I use different bat guanos with either high nitrogen or high phosphorus, then a third with higher potassium, and mist them with an epsom salt solution for magnesium. my teas are always comprised of kelp, fish emulsion, and bat guano.

I use them once a week, sometimes every two weeks, but that depends on your concentration and how much fertilizer you want to make available to your plants(and how much they can consume based on your soil and watering habits) if you miss a month they'll slow down a little and may drop a few flowers or pods but they won't die or anything drastic.

I am using compost tea for the first time next season, and I am wondering if it completely replaces other fertilizers.

It really depends upon what items were composted in the compost, how well it was composted and what additional items were added to the tea. Will this be aerated tea?

Will this be aerated tea?

Yes, this will be an aerated tea.

absolutely, no other fertilizer, but the composition of the tea changes throughout their growth, depending on if you want to make them grow and only bloom a little, or slow vertical growth and make them explode with flowers.

Good, so it sounds like teas can replace other fertilizers by choosing ingredients that provide the same nutrients that the other fertilizers would have provided. Thanks for the information. I will experiment with different recipes next spring/summer.

It also sounds like it is hard to over-fertilize with teas compared with synthetic fertilizers.

IMHO
YES AACT is a complete Fertilizer and almost a complete pesticide/fungicide.
Note: Tea does not Just feed your plants, it feeds your soil as well.

I have used Tea for a few years with great results on all kinds of plants. The purpose of Tea is to Reinoculate the beneficial bacteria, fungus, and protozoa in your plant's micro ecosystem.

I just bought some flora blend vegan plant booster from GH. It is fermented from plant materials and seaweed. Its recommended dose is 1-2 tsp per gallon . I tested the ppm and it was only 250ppm with my tap water at 130 thats pretty weak. Its numbers are .5/1/1. I was planning on using this every watering along with my normal fertilizer schedule. I have never used a product like this and I hope it works well.

Back