• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut Jolokia F1

I was inspired by all the beautiful pics I've seen of Pimenta Tiger, Elise et cetera so I decided to make the same cross myself.

Here are the results so far:

IMG_20121102_172055.jpg

IMG_20121102_172121.jpg

IMG_20121102_172602.jpg

IMG_20121102_172152.jpg

IMG_20121102_172414.jpg

It about to flower, so I should have some F2 seed for my 2013 grow.

I am fascinated by the fact that this was grown from Pimenta da Neyde seed, but looks almost identical to a straight C. chinense (the unimproved P. da Neyde definitely does not grow this way).

is that what you do with most of your crosses just grow 1 plant or is it because its inside

The F1 generation will be near identical. F2 is where you see the variation, so the F2 generation is where it makes sense to grow a bunch.

I will get hundreds of seeds from this one plant, I don't need more than that.

The F1 generation will be near identical. F2 is where you see the variation, so the F2 generation is where it makes sense to grow a bunch.

I will get hundreds of seeds from this one plant, I don't need more than that.
oh yeah that makes sense i really dont get the f1-8 thing much all i know is that f8 is considered stable and it wont have much if any variation

oh yeah that makes sense i really dont get the f1-8 thing much all i know is that f8 is considered stable and it wont have much if any variation

Okay, so you take Pepper A and cross it with Pepper B, the first offspring from those two will be F1 (filial 1) which means the first generation from that cross. F1 tends to display the dominant genes from the parents.

When you grow that seed from the F1 plant those will be F2. F2 is all over the place, some will look more like the "mother" some will look more like the "father" and all kinds of mixing up (for better or for worse). When you pick the one you want (with the right blend of characteristics) from F2 (you have to grow out a lot of plants, at least 20 to get the right traits in one plant), you then grow seed out from that particular plant.

When you grow out F3 you're basically looking for the one that is just like the one you selected in F2. By the time it gets to F8 (eight generations) you've got a mostly stable variety and don't need to worry too much about growing out a lot of plants to find a good one.

I grew a "Bhut x Da Neyde (Leopard)" which looks very similar to your version. I failed to take any pics of that one.

Huh, do you have any idea which generation it was? I thought they were breeding those to be all purple? I'll probably select for purple only in F2.

Okay, so you take Pepper A and cross it with Pepper B, the first offspring from those two will be F1 (filial 1) which means the first generation from that cross. F1 tends to display the dominant genes from the parents.

When you grow that seed from the F1 plant those will be F2. F2 is all over the place, some will look more like the "mother" some will look more like the "father" and all kinds of mixing up (for better or for worse). When you pick the one you want (with the right blend of characteristics) from F2 (you have to grow out a lot of plants, at least 20 to get the right traits in one plant), you then grow seed out from that particular plant.

When you grow out F3 you're basically looking for the one that is just like the one you selected in F2. By the time it gets to F8 (eight generations) you've got a mostly stable variety and don't need to worry too much about growing out a lot of plants to find a good one.
Thanks nice little lesson in pepper cross breeding

this is the Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut Jolokia that a guy that im friends with on facebook has but it was produced by AISPES so he wont sell or trade seeds

bth_404593_256044411184947_374377484_n.jpg

It takes a considerable amount of time and dedication to grow out a plant to F8... I will leave it up to the pros on growing out that many plants just to achieve a certain color or pod size or shape... Thats a crazy looking pod by the way...

not to hi jack the thread but i dont think that pod is stable yet and thats why he isnt allowed to trade or sell seeeds for it at the moment

SG plant looks amazing I also growing the same cross but I got my seeds from Grant can not wait to see the color your plant produces with the pods. Great work as usual

Thanks nice little lesson in pepper cross breeding

this is the Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut Jolokia that a guy that im friends with on facebook has but it was produced by AISPES so he wont sell or trade seeds

bth_404593_256044411184947_374377484_n.jpg

Yes, that is what I referenced in the first post. Here is more info. on those:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/28779-pimenta-tiger-and-pimenta-elisa/

It takes a considerable amount of time and dedication to grow out a plant to F8... I will leave it up to the pros on growing out that many plants just to achieve a certain color or pod size or shape... Thats a crazy looking pod by the way...

It does take a lot to do it right...

SG plant looks amazing I also growing the same cross but I got my seeds from Grant can not wait to see the color your plant produces with the pods. Great work as usual

Thanks, I'm very pleased with it.... I'll be curious to see how Grant's look too...

Huh, do you have any idea which generation it was? I thought they were breeding those to be all purple? I'll probably select for purple only in F2.

I acquired this one from a Brazilian chili grower and the F# was never mention. It came in a as packaged of many types. Let me know if you would like to try it.

Update, photo taken today:
IMG_20121114_172515.jpg

It's incredible how dominant the C. chinense traits are. If the story is true that the P. da Neyde is a cross between a C. annuum and a C. chinense, then I suppose this is after all mostly C. chinense.

Back