• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Ramon’s Spiked Cooking Sherry & Rum

I first saw something similar in Central America around 30 plus years ago and have been doing this since the day I tried it first, much longer than I’ve grown peppers. It’s a great way to use up the peppers that you can’t eat or cook up.

Ingredients:
  • One rum bottle empty and clean
  • One cork
  • Lots of scotch bonnet/habanero peppers or your favorite peppers
  • One bottle of your favorite brand of cooking sherry
Directions:
  • Chop up all the peppers and stuff into rum bottle (I leave the seeds and membrane in)
  • Fill the bottle with cooking sherry to cover all peppers
  • Shave a small slit into the cork like in the picture and put cork into bottle
  • Storage – This can be kept on the counter for very long periods of time as long as the peppers are submersed with the sherry.

This spicy cooking sherry has three main uses for me; augment a marinade ingredient adding spicy to it, as a cooking liquid and as a flavoring in a finished dish. Although I’d be careful with the latter as the picante can over power the taste of the food if too much is used.

The function of “Ramon’s Spiked Sherry” in cooking is to intensify, enhance and accent the flavor and aroma of food, not to mask the flavor of what you are cooking. As with any seasoning used in cooking, care should be taken in the amount of “Spiked Sherry” used. Too little is inconsequential and too much will be overpowering.

Keep in mind that the alcohol in the “Spiked Sherry” evaporates while the food is cooking and only the flavor remains. Boiling down Sherry concentrates the flavor, including acidity. Be careful not to use too much “Spiked Sherry” as the flavor could overpower your dish. For best results, “Spiked Sherry should be added to a dish near the end of the cooking cycle, the simmering stage just before serving. For example the “Spiked Sherry” should simmer with the food, or sauce, to enhance the flavor of the dish.

BTW the heat level does dissipate over time, so I just add in more peppers and always keep the level of the liquid above them.

I also do the same with real rum like below but I don't use the high quality Ron Santa Teresa 1796 Antiguo de Solera that I drink, lol, clear Bacardi works fine :D

If you want to check out my glog click here.

Excellent idea! Great explanation with photos and captions... I have emptied many a bottle of Rum. I usually infuse oil with hot peppers, but next bottle will be used for your idea. I usually add a bit of Sherry when whisking up the eggs for a full blown "garbage" omlet. That extra bit of spice would fit in nicely...Thanks

Thanks Greg, I do the oil thing as well. As you already know there's plenty of uses for it in the kitchen and it makes a killer picante pop corn if you go that old fashion way of making it. I'll have to try your idea with rum bottle as I normally do my oils in old grey poupon glass jars and I prefer that rum bottle look.

Back