• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Seed Starting

I’ve been reading around the forums and have seen a lot of starter tips but have not seen my method or I missed it. It’s an old trick I learned from my Grandfather and my Mom always did it this way too. Hopefully this can help some who go that natural route like me.

Basically I start out all my seedlings in egg shells after a 24 hour soaking. When the baby plant gets large enough I crack up the egg some with my hand before planting so the roots don’t get held back and plant the whole thing. While I’m not sure about all the benefits other than calcium for the plants, I like the results I get.

If you want to check out my glog click here.

Pretty interesting idea. Have you ever noticed the roots curling around too much inside the shell before you pot-up or plant-out?

Thats an awesome idea of how to start your seedlings.. Never seen em started like that before but will have to give it a try one of these days....

Pretty interesting idea. Have you ever noticed the roots curling around too much inside the shell before you pot-up or plant-out?
Only once or twice but once I cracked up the egg and planted I didn’t see any problems with the plant as it grew larger. I guess if one lets it get curled up badly it could cause an issue. The egg must be cracked very well, one notices a little thin membrane inside the shell, while I’ve never removed it, I make sure that’s loosened up enough not to hinder the baby roots, heck that membrane must have some benificial atributes too.

Thats an awesome idea of how to start your seedlings.. Never seen em started like that before but will have to give it a try one of these days....
Thank you, I’m happy to be able to share back with the pepper community :)

Edit: BTW millwork, I make sure they get planted into pots soon after they spring up, leaving them in an uncracked up egg too long couldn't be good. Good point you make, I should have stated that in my first post.

No worries. I just have a habit of waiting WAY too long to pot up so I would probably try and leave the seedlings in the eggs till like 4-5 sets of leaves.

I failed to mention in first the post that I constantly add egg shells to my soil as well, to both in ground and potted plants. Even if the shells don't produce enough calcium the jagged edges cut the wandering snail ;)

I would guess you have to do a little less watering with the seedlings compared to starting them in a container with drainage, right? Or do you put a drain hole in the bottom of the eggshell first?

I like this idea and I think I'll try it next season. The chickens should be producing by then, so I think it's Meant To Be.

-NT

I would guess you have to do a little less watering with the seedlings compared to starting them in a container with drainage, right? Or do you put a drain hole in the bottom of the eggshell first?

I like this idea and I think I'll try it next season. The chickens should be producing by then, so I think it's Meant To Be.

-NT
Yes I poke a little hole in the bottom, but remember the tray holds water since it's foam. Also I really break up the egg well before planting, not sure how much it would hinder it if it's not done and I've never tried without

Back