• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Green Mango Salsa

*While this may sound like too much trouble, with a food processor its fast to make and if you ever try it, I believe you'll agree with me that it's totally worth any trouble. Normally I don’t use the saltine crackers with this salsa like depicted below but was out of tortilla chips when I wanted to shoot the picture and this seriously goes well on anything.

Numerous years ago I meet a Trinidadian girl while visiting a friend at the hospital and she turned me onto an old family recipe which I promptly started making. While this is not her original recipe but my own deviation or what I could remember of hers, it's great none the less. I’m guessing many of you northern members can’t find green mangos but if you ever get your hands on one and try this you’ll be blown away ...

Ingredients:
  • 1 green or un-ripened mango, diced
  • 1 scotch bonnet pepper (with seeds)
  • 1/4 cup chopped red onion
  • 2 tbs chopped fresh cilantro
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
  • Drizzle or more of olive oil (to taste)
  • Juice of 1/2 lime or less (to taste)
Directions: Chop up all the ingredients and combine.You can serve right away or let salsa sit at room temperature for up to 30 minutes so flavors blend.

Uses:
  • Serve cold with grilled fish, sushi fish, shrimp or cracked conch
  • Any dish that would go well with a nice picante and tangy cold salsa
  • On your favorite crackers either plain or with a 1/3 of a shrimp on each
  • In a burrito or wrap
  • In a sandwich
  • In in lieu of chimichurri sauce (add more cilantro in this case)
Enoy!

If you want to check out my glog click here.

Yeah, dig it! Mango's are such a mess is my only problem. I probably just need a tutorial on how to properly cut up the damn things lol!!

Green mangos can be shredded with a cheese grater.  (Ripe ones will turn into a mushy mess.)

-NT

Dried green mango is used as a powder in Indian cooking, called amcur, and it adds a fruity sourness similar to sour apple. I wonder how that works fresh. Isn't it sour/tart? They also use green mango in mango pickle (chutney) but it is also sour, it only becomes sweet with the other ingredients, like sweet pickles. But I don't see anything sweet here, so just wondering.

doesn't seem like too much trouble at all to me. and it sounds tasty.

have you ever tried it with garlic?

thanks for sharing.

I made a version of this tonight, with the garlic and with more lime juice, so it was more of a dipping sauce than the thick salsa shown above.  I used a Congo Trinidad for the heat, but unfortunately it had taken some sun damage and wasn't very hot.  (Here it is showing off its camouflage:)

9688370443_098ee4a8fa_n.jpg

Apart from being milder than expected, the salsa came out damn good.  It would have been better with a greener mango; the one I found was kind of marginal.  Thanks for posting this recipe!  It's earned a regular spot in my kitchen.

-NT

Back