• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are these good?

Take a look at the picture. I am wondering if these peppers are still good? Is that rot, sunburn, or something else?

112312082238.jpg

-Dan

Oh thats too bad. I thought ristras were good for drying? This is the first time I have tried drying using ristras, what did I do wrong?

Normally I would use a dehydrator, but these were at my parents house and they do not have a dehydrator.

They were strung up and hung in a large window.

if your trying to dry them i would cut them open and put them in a area with good ventilation.. you want to get rid of the moisture asap and prevent the rot/mold.. if you cut them in half and put them in th eoven at very low.. temp it will dry them fast but will kill the seeds..

low moisture and wind.. like in southern new mexico or az.. I bought mine in phoenix for $18.00 for a 3 foot one. (The big red anheim ones). the ones i got were still soft a bit but the low humidity just draws out any moisture left..

Alright thanks. Into the dehydrator they go... there are still about 30 good ones, but sadly there are just as many that rotted.

that is a damn shame. don't worry i've thrown out plenty of peppers myself due to rot so you are not alone. one of the downfalls of living in florida; such a humid climate.

Back