• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

JoynersHotPeppers 2013 GLOG

In the for winter are:

Jay's Ghost Scorpion - RED
7 Pot Jonah
7 Pot - BROWN

The grow from seed list:

Brain Strain - RED - Seed from a pod from Judy if memeory serves me correct
Carolina Reaper - Seed from PepperJoe
Jay's Ghost Scorpion - RED - Seeds from plant above

To be continued...

As of today here are how things are looking - 12/05/12

7 Pot Brown is fighting leaf drop, white flies seem likely and it has been treated. It still wanted to give me fruit.

7pot_brown.jpg

7 Pot Brown

7pot_brown_1.jpg

7 Pot Brown

7pot_brown_2.jpg

Jay's Ghost Scorpion - RED

Jays_Ghost_Scorpion.jpg

7 Pot Jonah

7Pot_Jonah.jpg

7 Pot Jonah

7Pot_Jonah_1.jpg

Seedlings

1.jpg

2.jpg

Annuum List

Cayenne Indonesian
Chiltepin Amarillo
Jalapeno Black
Jalapeno Early
Jalapeno Giant
Jalapeno Purple
Rooster Spur
Serrano
Thai #00419-2551 F1 Hybrid
Thai #00554-2553 F1 Hybrid
Thai (2005) Large Red
Thai Cross (Orange)
Thai Dragon
Thai Hazelwood
Thai Norcal
Thai Orange
Thai Prik Che Fah
Thai Prik Jinda
Thai Prik Key GNU - Chaiprakarn F1
Thai Prik Key GNU - HOM
Thai Prik Key GNU - SUAN
Thai Prik Kjinda Dang
Thai Prik Mon Dum
Thai Prik NUM
Thai Prik Sod Dang F1
Thai Prik York
Thai Prikkinu Pedsiam F1 Hybrid
Thai Prik-Mondang Red Eagle F1
Thai Red
Thai Super Hot
Thai Yellow

Baccatum

Lemon Drop

Chinense

7 POT Brain Strain Red
7 POT Brain Strain Yellow
7 POT Brown
7 POT Burgandy
7 POT Jonah
7 POT Red
7 POT Rennie
7 POT SR
7 POT Trinidad Douglah
7 POT Yellow
Bahamian Goat Pepper
Bhut Jolokia
Bhut Jolokia Chocolate
Bhut Jolokia Giant
Bhut Jolokia Giant Yellow
Bhut Jolokia Peach
Bhut Jolokia White
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Billy Boy Jonah
Butch T
Chocolate Morouga (Unstable 2)
Chocolate Morouga (Unstable 1)
Chocolate Scotch
Chocolate Unknown
Douglah X Chocolate Scorpion
Fatalii
Hot Jamican
Infinity Monster
Jay's Ghost Scorpion
Mako Akoksrade
Morouga
Morouga Scorpion
Mystery Chocolate
Naga Morich
Naga Viper
Scotch Bonnet
Tazmanian Habanero
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga
White Habanero
Wine Unknown

Frutescens

Thai Hot

PeriPeri said:
Incredible glog! Really loving the plants and pods and variety... heck, everything lol Nice one!
Thanks PP, as you know it is a lot of work and I have been very blessed to be so lucky this year taking into consideration the craziest weather I recall on the East Coast in decades. 

wahlee76 said:
Those are great harvests again. Tasty, colourful an dangerous :P
Agreed, the hottest will get plucked today and I'll do an overall shot. Season will quickly be coming to and end so I am happy with decent harvests still! Thanks for stopping by.

Pardon me... but without me having to go through the whole glog, I would like to know what your fertilization routine is... including the soil amendments you add.  Would you be so kind as to reveal? :pray:

Bhut Jolokia Caramel

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Chocolate

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Tabasco

17.jpg

Other square foot garden

18.jpg

Bhut Jolokia Red

19.jpg

Jay's Ghost Scorpion Red

20.jpg

Noah Yates said:
Pardon me... but without me having to go through the whole glog, I would like to know what your fertilization routine is... including the soil amendments you add.  Would you be so kind as to reveal? :pray:
Let me know if you can see this album on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/chris.joyner.3994/media_set?set=a.4596230468171.1073741827.1364504895&type=3

I can XD             It looks like you do a great job of amending the soil.  So do you give any other nutrients through the grow... or do you just provide water until the end?

Noah Yates said:
I can XD             It looks like you do a great job of amending the soil.  So do you give any other nutrients through the grow... or do you just provide water until the end?
Until recently I had only watered twice all year due to crazy amounts of rain. I sprayed twice all year with fish fert and recently as in yesterday with CalMag. I think the original soil is the main reason for the success. My other in-ground areas I use all the compost we collect throughout the year in 2 55 gallon bends. I also amended with fast acting lime and crab shell.
Carolina Reaper

21.jpg

Sun is brutal now and for last 2 weeks.

22.jpg

Chiltepin Amarillo

23.jpg

Bahamian Goat

24.jpg

Billy Boy Jonah

25.jpg

Mostly C.chinense haul

26.jpg

Your update keeps amazing me. Is the climate in Delaware that good, or more the nutrients and soil? As you just mentioned, you've had a lot of rain. You're a bit more south than we are in the Netherlands, but the difference in plants is huge!

The sq.ft. garden of chinenses is huge. What are your thoughts on repeating that next year? As huge as the plants are, I would think they could be bigger if given more space. What do you think?

Jeff H said:
The sq.ft. garden of chinenses is huge. What are your thoughts on repeating that next year? As huge as the plants are, I would think they could be bigger if given more space. What do you think?
I am going to switch the 2 next year, the 8 * 4 will be all super hots and the 4 * 4 will be things we eat including a few peppers. I think the fact the space is so tight forced them to grow massive and reach and fight for sun. I also have a wind tunnel in my back yard so having them close together is actually a huge help. If everything in the 4 * 4 gets to ripen, the yield will have made it worth while for sure! 
wahlee76 said:
Your update keeps amazing me. Is the climate in Delaware that good, or more the nutrients and soil? As you just mentioned, you've had a lot of rain. You're a bit more south than we are in the Netherlands, but the difference in plants is huge!
We have a pretty good growing climate in DE and this was just an off year, hard to tell by the plants however!

Yeah... if you feed the soil... water will take care of the rest.  I plan to amend the soil this fall so that my plants will only need to be fed supplementary nutrients a few times next season.  Currently I have 350+ gallons of home-made worm castings and approximately the same volume worth of "hot" compost to till into the soil along with gypsum, dolomite, azomite, various organic meals, and microbiota.  I will then cover the entire garden with 6 inches of tree leaves.  Throughout the winter I will probably continue to add mulch and leaves to the surface, occasionally spraying fish fertilizer onto the leaves/mulch to aid in the composting process that will be taking place.

Noah Yates said:
Yeah... if you feed the soil... water will take care of the rest.  I plan to amend the soil this fall so that my plants will only need to be fed a few times next season.  Currently I have 350+ gallons of home-made worm castings and approximately the same volume worth of "hot" compost to till into the soil along with gypsum, dolomite, azomite, various organic meals, and microbiotics.  I will then cover the entire garden with 6 inches of tree leaves.  Throughout the winter I will probably continue to add mulch and leaves to the surface, occasionally spraying fish fertilizer onto the leaves/mulch to aid in the composting process that will be taking place.
All sounds great. I was and am very pleased with the test results of shoving 16 plants into such a small space. Some of the pods I am pulling from there are massive as well. A few will be sent out for review soon, looking forward to an Infinity Monster and Trinidad Scorpion Yellow ripening. 

Lol... it is amazing how well peppers can do when crowded in together.  Even before I really knew a quarter of what I know now about pepper cultivation, we had grown cayennes and jalapenos with great success.  I would grow the plants very close to each other in rows... We pretty much determined that peppers love to support each other.  Solitary plants, which, theoretically, should receive more sun, and are staked, dont seem to be as happy as plants that are positioned in in "interlocking rows." 

Now that's a happy plant!

Tried to go to the facebook link, but I don't have an account. So it hates me ..LOL

Anyways, great grow this year! I sure hope the season lasts long enough for all of them to ripen.

Back