• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Store Bought Naga Jolokias!

Usually, orange Habs are the hottest Peppers that my local markets carry. One of the markets had some Nagas all the way from Holland. They are old, but I couldn't pass up the purchase. I love the inadequate warning - "Real Hot." I have no way of knowing if the plants were isolated, but will be saving seed anyway.

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

Got it - ty.

I had one with Dinner. It was definitely Naga - Good heat and excellent flavor. It had an unusual number of seeds for a superhot, around 15.

And you live where? Really if the major food mart wally's world had some of those there would be a major rush to buy them, at best you could find is some wrinkled up jalapenos or some frost burned serranos, all of which must have been shipped from China.

Usually, orange Habs are the hottest Peppers that my local markets carry. One of the markets had some Nagas all the way from Holland. They are old, but I couldn't pass up the purchase. I love the inadequate warning - "Real Hot." I have no way of knowing if the plants were isolated, but will be saving seed anyway.

1-2.jpg

2-2.jpg

It's possible they Are not isolated I bought some from the AJ's Fine Foods here in Phoenix And grew the seeds its first pepper I got look like a cross of sorts like a baby butch T

highly doubtful that any commercial peppers are kept isolated as there is no reason as they just buy bulk seeds from
some seed co. For peppers that might be isolated, I would have better luck going to a mom and pop stand and asking if they kept their plants isolated from each other.

I have plenty of "pure" seed that I know will grow true. I wouldn't mind getting some mystery cross that was part Bhut. Could be fun posting pics here, trying to figure out where the other half came from.

The other important issue here is why a NY supermarket takes the trouble to import Bhuts (or Nagas - whatever we want to call them) from Holland when there are a lot of domestic growers. It would be much more cost effective to buy domestically. Maybe i can make some $ by introducing the market to some of my buddies here :)

I have plenty of "pure" seed that I know will grow true. I wouldn't mind getting some mystery cross that was part Bhut. Could be fun posting pics here, trying to figure out where the other half came from.

The other important issue here is why a NY supermarket takes the trouble to import Bhuts (or Nagas - whatever we want to call them) from Holland when there are a lot of domestic growers. It would be much more cost effective to buy domestically. Maybe i can make some $ by introducing the market to some of my buddies here :)

Not necessarily, the supply chain with the producers in Holland is already in place. A new US supplier would have to go through quality checks etc...

Back