• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Devv said:
Tis the time of year for rough looking plants mi friend, they will survive as you have talent :party:

Was 39° this AM, bag ladies in the shop just a hangin', slated for 35° in the AM.

So anyways, I still see pulls..gotta love that!

And Friday is not to far off!

Have a good one!
Your plants are looking better at 39° than mine in the 70s, hopefully mine will come back. Seems much colder there than here, we're lucky to ever get that low and it's only once in a blue moon and till the sun comes. Hope you hab a great weekend mon!

Some of the young ladies …
29kw4fk.jpg

2lvo4lu.jpg

334huz9.jpg

Tanks for looking, Hab a great weekend \o/

Ramon,
What I'd do with (at least one) the MoA's would be to cut all the leaves off...(less food and landing pads for the pests). Determine how much "Green" branching you have per branch, cut back to the point above at least 2 nodes per branch. Remove the root ball from the pot, clean the pot(s) with soap and diluted bleach. Remove all the soil from the roots and detangle the spiral. Rinse and cutback the roots leaving some of the longer white strands.
Repot with a new medium...no ferts until new growth is well on its way...The roots will be moving also. You can still treat for mites...but you probably won't detect many at this point. When the plant is ready it should take off.
With an indoor grow, the plants will continue to grow for a long period of time only to lose lower older growth. When the light cycle is cut back the "nightshade" plants will become dormant and none productive...as with the winter light cycle outdoors.

Everyone thinks growing all year around outside is awesome. They have no idea the stress it puts on a plant  and on the grower to keep up with the many challenges of bugs , heat , humidity and what not. . I feel your pain brother man.  Keep chugging along they will bounce back . Hey it's Friday eve !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great tutorial, Greg!  You know how to take care of your plants!

romy6 said:
 Everyone thinks growing all year around outside is awesome. They have no idea the stress it puts on a plant  and on the grower to keep up with the many challenges of bugs , heat , humidity and what not. . I feel your pain brother man.  Keep chugging along they will bounce back . Hey it's Friday eve !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jamie, I'm really sorry you and Ramon have to go through that     :liar:

Perhaps you'd like it better if your plants just flat out died every year   :rofl:

JK, brother!  I have always said I don't envy the problems your SoFolk
have to deal with.  We groan about the weather here, but it does have
it's upsides.  Maybe Spankycolts can remind me what those are    ;)

Good weekend comin' at ya, Ramon!

PIC 1 said:

Ramon,
What I'd do with (at least one) the MoA's would be to cut all the leaves off...(less food and landing pads for the pests). Determine how much "Green" branching you have per branch, cut back to the point above at least 2 nodes per branch. Remove the root ball from the pot, clean the pot(s) with soap and diluted bleach. Remove all the soil from the roots and detangle the spiral. Rinse and cutback the roots leaving some of the longer white strands.
Repot with a new medium...no ferts until new growth is well on its way...The roots will be moving also. You can still treat for mites...but you probably won't detect many at this point. When the plant is ready it should take off.
With an indoor grow, the plants will continue to grow for a long period of time only to lose lower older growth. When the light cycle is cut back the "nightshade" plants will become dormant and none productive...as with the winter light cycle outdoors.
Excellent mon, just what you told me to do last year to one of my favorite JA Hab’s … do you want to slap me now for not recalling, I know I want to slap /me :D

Hab a great weekend and thank you, it definitely worked last time …

romy6 said:
Everyone thinks growing all year around outside is awesome. They have no idea the stress it puts on a plant  and on the grower to keep up with the many challenges of bugs , heat , humidity and what not. . I feel your pain brother man.  Keep chugging along they will bounce back . Hey it's Friday eve !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate to say it brethren but I’m ready for a break with all the stuff that’s been keeping my ultra busy, TGIF for sure \o/ Funny my oldest JA Habs take all this in stride, they’re immune to any major bug attacks now, dem old ladies know how to do it righteously ^_^ Unfortunately I’ll still be busy all day Saturday & Sunday thru months end, hope December doesn’t throw me any curve balls :D

Hab an awesome weekend brethren \o/

PaulG said:
Great tutorial, Greg!  You know how to take care of your plants!
Agreed, Greg da mon!

PaulG said:
Jamie, I'm really sorry you and Ramon have to go through that     :liar:
First time in many a year mon ... feel like I need a break and I have baby girls in da hopper … I must be crazy, lol

PaulG said:
Perhaps you'd like it better if your plants just flat out died every year   :rofl:
hmmm maybe I should let da MoAs fend for themselves ;)

PaulG said:
JK, brother!  I have always said I don't envy the problems your SoFolk have to deal with.  We groan about the weather here, but it does have it's upsides.  Maybe Spankycolts can remind me what those are    ;)
We have room for you down here brethren, feel free to join in on da fun, hehehe

PaulG said:
Good weekend comin' at ya, Ramon!
Back at ya and Hab an awesome weekend!

I wanted to reply to you guys here but can someone bump me so I can post something that stands on it's own with pics? Thanks in advance and everyone hab a great weekend!!!

Hi Ramon,

Bump!

Just got through bringing the bag ladies out of the shop, they be lookin' a bit rough. Today was 36° at 6AM, much colder than normal.

I agree with Jamie and you about the all season grow. A ton of work, just a ton.

The little gals are looking very stylish there!

I'm curious as to just how much bleach goes into the diluted bleach solution?

Tally Mon Powder (MoA & Nana powder + secret ingredient)

Day-o, day-ay-ay-o
Daylight come and he wan' go home
Day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day-ay-ay-o

Work all night on a drink a'rum
(Daylight come and he wan' go home)
Stack banana till thee morning come
(Daylight come and he wan' go home) ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

As previously stated the cracker & cream cheese ting is only for initial testing with a neutral base. I’ve now had fruit & pepper blends on steak, chicken, fish, pizza, tacos and eggs. I have to tell you, if you’re up for the work there’s a million uses and the beauty is no salt needed, a completely different spin on some tasty powders.

For anyone that guesses what I’m working on next has their pick of seeds from any of the plants I’ve grown in 2013, good luck ^_^

Key learnings
-Don’t reuse the ascorbic acid for dehydrating fruit, mix fresh to maintain color (thus the off color on this one)
-Slice super thin and dehydrate the tar out of fruits
-have fun with it, don’t use salt but a little sugar is optional

21eonqh.jpg

10xu888.jpg

29p9frp.jpg

Pure ground banana comes out with a feel like flour
vyqd89.jpg

Banana powder mixed with MoA powder ...
9a66aa.jpg

The white layer you see is rice to keep dat humidity we have out ...
2l9r5zp.jpg

This one and the strawberry are my favorites so far, they rock on taste \o/
2q20868.jpg

Thanks for looking, reading and comments ^_^

Wishing everyone Habs an awesome weekend!

WalkGood said:
Tally Mon Powder (MoA & Nana powder + secret ingredient)

Day-o, day-ay-ay-o
Day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day, he say day-ay-ay-o

Work all night on a drink a'rum
(Daylight come and he wan' go home)
Stack banana till thee morning come
(Daylight come and he wan' go home) ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

As previously stated the cracker & cream cheese ting is only for initial testing with a neutral base. I’ve now had fruit & pepper blends on steak, chicken, fish, pizza, tacos and eggs. I have to tell you, if you’re up for the work there’s a million uses and the beauty is no salt needed, a completely different spin on some tasty powders.

For anyone that guesses what I’m working on next has their pick of seeds from any of the plants I’ve grown in 2013, good luck ^_^

Key learnings
-Don’t reuse the ascorbic acid for dehydrating fruit, mix fresh to maintain color (thus the off color on this one)
-Slice super thin and dehydrate the tar out of fruits
-have fun with it, don’t use salt but a little sugar is optional

21eonqh.jpg

10xu888.jpg

29p9frp.jpg

Pure ground banana comes out with a feel like flour
vyqd89.jpg

Banana powder mixed with MoA powder ...
9a66aa.jpg

The white layer you see is rice to keep dat humidity we have out ...
2l9r5zp.jpg

This one and the strawberry are my favorites so far, they rock on taste \o/
2q20868.jpg

Thanks for looking, reading and comments ^_^

Wishing everyone Habs an awesome weekend!

1. Love the name of the powder!!! Great song! First I heard was by my beloved Harry Belafonte. (I'll probably wear black for a week when he passes.)
2. Glad you're always learning lessons: when we stop learning, somebody need to light funeral pyre or just throw dirt.
3. Dang, that looks good!
4. An echo: would super ripe platanos work? Or be too starchy? But then, corn starch is used to keep stuff from clumping. Confusion is better than knowing all the answers.
5. Following up on that: "have fun with it" +1.

After get back from Lowe's to get new bulbs for grow area'n install, before begin powders . . . might be a strawberry pit-stop. Thanks for the inspiration, queirdo! :dance:

You're busy and I still can't keep up with you!

Nana powder looks awesome!
Scott, thanks for nana kudos mon! Been mainly busy with lots of family matters and work, I had dehydrated several fruits some weeks ago and didnt have the time to powder them & mix. I still have a few others awaiting me in baggies, glad I have a little nana left over, going to try adding a little fresh ground allspice berry. Hope you have a great & relaxing weekend brethren ^_^

Question on the powder, were the banana's green and unripe ? Just thinking that a ripe nana has more starch and sugar which can cause a color shift.
I used Cavendish bananas because I couldnt find any Manzano bananas and they were yellow but not ripe, firm, a little sweat as Ive had trouble dehydrating ripe ones that never get hard or dry enough to powder.
How bout Plantains, I'm sure you've done those. Which are tastier dryed ?
Enjoy the weekend !
Ive yet to dehydrate any Plantains but thank you for the thought, I might give that a try with some plantains that I will have ready to pull soon. Im sure green ones would dehydrate much better than Cavendish but I could see them being bitter. But that would be an easy fix, have you tried any fruits and which is your favorite? BTW I only do it for my powders but that said, our #2 enjoys eating some dehydrated fruits but not da hot stuff, lol.
Hab a great weekend back at ya ^_^

Totally Rad my friend... I will have to try this!
Thank you Lourens! Hab an awesome weekend brethren and take care of dem smexy girls :D

Smoked up chicken last night for some burritos, sorry no pictures, too hungry to take mas time but that gave me the opportunity to smoke up a few peppers for a few hours before the smoker died out. Pepper colors might be off, I had to tone them back as the yellows and reds were so bright that it blurred up da pics. Only ran them in for 2 ½ hours and they didnt loose much color. I used oak without the bark, cant wait to try some out.

1492wev.jpg

2wfmp2q.jpg

v6u8if.jpg

317e78w.jpg

14t98nq.jpg

Hab an awesome weekend all ^_^

annie57 said:

[SIZE=medium]1. Love the name of the powder!!! Great song! First I heard was by my beloved Harry Belafonte. (I'll probably wear black for a week when he passes.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]2. Glad you're always learning lessons: when we stop learning, somebody need to light funeral pyre or just throw dirt.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]3. Dang, that looks good![/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]4. An echo: would super ripe platanos work? Or be too starchy? But then, corn starch is used to keep stuff from clumping. Confusion is better than knowing all the answers.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]5. Following up on that: "have fun with it" +1.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]After get back from Lowe's to get new bulbs for grow area'n install, before begin powders . . . might be a strawberry pit-stop. Thanks for the inspiration, queirdo! :dance:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Annie, agreed on Harry B … I blame listening to him from a very young age that got me into reggae & soca. Music is such a wonderful art, I just couldn’t see living without it ♪ ♫ [/SIZE]♬ ♩

[SIZE=medium]Thank you for da kudos and back at ya for all your sauces and recipes that you’ve posted … great job! I’m not sure if super ripe would work, I’ve been unable to get them to dry enough with my dehydrator. I’ve found that what ever you dry if you can get it as hard as a poker chip it works best for powder that doesn’t clump, if you give it a try let me know. [/SIZE]

Is there anything you nutters wont put chilli onto? Hey I'm marketing some toilet paper that has essence of bhut on it - for those lean mornings after when you have not had any chillies... lol Seedlings look awesome my friend!

I like the photos of the upright smoker, I've got a couple older "Brinkman's" stored in my son's garage. I never got around to bringing them over (suppose I could have used them there)....That's how i'd smoke the pods, low and slow. I'd fill the drip pans up with ice and never let the temp get over 190...always easier during the cooler months here.
Stuff looks good mon, .........I bet the chicken burritos were the bomb !.......no photo's necessary.....I can picture the deliciousness !

6 foot 7 foot 8 foot bunch!!! Wow...you keep mixing it up over here brotha!!! Nice combo there...love the thought of those flavors together! I feel ya on the off-on late/early contintinued season woes...I'm just plain tired of picking! :crazy:

Can't wait to see what flavors you pair up next!!!

Nice shots of the smoking process. I'm in the same busy boat, fruits dried and in baggies, stuffing peppers in the freezer.

Tomorrows you know what day!

Don't work too hard!

stickman said:
Nice job With the seedlings, smoked pods and 'Nana powder... heck, just add strawberry powder, yogurt and milk, and you've got a pepper smoothie... ;) Have a great weekend mon!

Rick, thanks for the kudos brethren … I use fresh peppers in my smoothies, do you use powder in your smoothies and how does that come out :D

Hab a great hump day!

PeriPeri said:
Is there anything you nutters wont put chilli onto? Hey I'm marketing some toilet paper that has essence of bhut on it - for those lean mornings after when you have not had any chillies... lol Seedlings look awesome my friend!

lol, think I’ll pass on the TP :D Tanks for kudos and Hab a great hump day brethren!

PIC 1 said:
I like the photos of the upright smoker, I've got a couple older "Brinkman's" stored in my son's garage. I never got around to bringing them over (suppose I could have used them there)....That's how i'd smoke the pods, low and slow. I'd fill the drip pans up with ice and never let the temp get over 190...always easier during the cooler months here.
Stuff looks good mon, .........I bet the chicken burritos were the bomb !.......no photo's necessary.....I can picture the deliciousness !

Thanks Greg :) While I’ve used a lp and electric smoker, there’s something I prefer more about the wood/coal burning smokers with the water pan. I love your ice idea although I don’t have an issue keeping temps low so far. I soak the wood under water 24 hours before using and only use a few lumps adding very little as needed. My old one was a triple rack but this one only holds two which is fine for now. I will probably go bigger when this one needs replacing … I can’t wait to see da stuff you come up with!!!

Hab a most excellent hump day my friend ^_^

stc3248 said:

6 foot 7 foot 8 foot bunch!!! Wow...you keep mixing it up over here brotha!!! Nice combo there...love the thought of those flavors together! I feel ya on the off-on late/early contintinued season woes...I'm just plain tired of picking! :crazy:

Can't wait to see what flavors you pair up next!!!

Thanks Shane but you dam great on da powders too! The stuff you sent my way was excellent and was quickly used up, awesome job mon! I loved da red lantern stuff you mixed up, been making a similar flavor pattern with my JA Hab and it’s worked out fine. You need to give the fruits a shot, I have no doubt you’ll do wonders with them and mama will always thank you for toning the heat down ;)

Hab an awesome hump day brethren!

Devv said:
Nice shots of the smoking process. I'm in the same busy boat, fruits dried and in baggies, stuffing peppers in the freezer.

Tomorrows you know what day!

Don't work too hard!

Thanks Scott, you are always full of super compliments and back at you … you deserve them as well, I know you’ve been burning da candle at both ends.

Tomorrow, tomorrow, what’s tomorrow? Hump day … November 20 is the 324th day of the year (325th in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 41 days remaining until the end of the year. Tomorrow, what’s tomorrow … just another work day mon ;)

Hab a most excellent tomorrow!!!

Back