• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Devv said:
Nice haul on the MoA's Ramon!
Tanks Scott, you are always too kind my brethren :)

Devv said:
Also liked the review of the Barrackpore, glad it has a nice flavor. Jaime sent me some of them real early in the season, I used them in a powder, cuz at the time I was too chicken to eat them. However I saved the seed and will have them in the dirt next season.
Dem hot as hell, don’t let my taste impressions fool you, she light me up mon, lol … remember I focus on taste VS heat and on dat one I seriously neglected to mention the heavy burn, my apologies mon but I think I got the taste very close, enjoy!

Devv said:
Um...Mrs. Walkgood....did you read post #1798?
Ok now you are seriously on my shit list ;)

Devv said:
I hear 'yall about the furniture, our kids wrecked everything we ever bought. I waited until they left before getting anything nice....but now we have grandkids..LOL just can't win on that one!
Great now I have some more wreckage to look forward to, lolz … :(

SweatSauwce said:
That white bhut pod looks tastey, interesting how you describe it as a kumquat tangeriney taste.
I try to focus on the taste and not the heat, that said it’s more like the rind of a kumquat VS the actual tangerine taste which is not as tart … I actually said “Without the picante (heat) the taste can be described similar to a clementin, tangerine or a sweet kumquat without any of the sour, rather a hint of sweetness. Possibly more like the kumquat rind which is actually the sweetest part. I wouldn’t bet my life on this description and I’ll have to eat a few more to put my finger on it but I must say I loved her … “ I also edited my post to add “I also taste a hint of Anise in this pepper and she's quickly becoming one of my favorites ^_^ …”

SweatSauwce said:
I got a crazy question out of all the peppers you grow which is your favorite tasting or that you can cook with everyday and not get tired of.
Well my favorite is the Jamaican Habanero that I’ve been growing and eating for years but equally I love many other peppers … heck tonight I fell in love with Jamie’s (romy6) Yellow 7 both raw and in a sofrito starter … more on dat later ^_^

SweatSauwce said:
Thanks again for the seed mon.
No problem mi Miami brethren, sorry I didn’t think of giving you some White Bhut seed, I have some if you want so let me know. BTW thank you for da mango’s. Dem elongated ones remind me of Vietnamese Mango I seriously love dem and they are a very tasty verity IMHO … Have a great weekend!

Ok, after my brethren Jamie (romy6) told me “the Yellow 7's have always been my favorite pepper. It was the first 7 pod variety I ever grew. Very easy to grow and insect resistant. . Great fresh, powdered, or making sauce. . Hot but not too hot. If I had to only grow one pepper that would be it.”

I decided to pull out da guns girls plate for a photo shoot paying tribute to my brethren Mr. James (romy6) Yellow 7's. Only a very special pepper can be depicted on da girls plate and I’m still waiting to shoot some pics of my own triple "A" MoA’s on da girls classic plate as well … shit dem peppers are classic ...

2u7tusx.jpg

2ikzgbo.jpg

rlgl5x.jpg

2rxxwsl.jpg

e1eq12.jpg

As I was chopping dem up my son and I decided to eat some before we made some sofrito starter  … a citrus discernable taste or flavor if you ignore the heat but she’s not that hot, let me have some more … the next thing you know two whole peppers are gone, lol. Dam dem great tasting girls brother Jamie ^_^

2hf870g.jpg

fn5m2o.jpg

Hot, sweaty and exciting is what I say, sweeter than an orange but dam she’s got some heat, sure not that much but enough to keep me excited … no she’s no Clementine or Orange in da Florida grow, she’s a hot smexy Yellow 7 and she’s got some ting to say … eat me mon and you’ll love me, hahahhahah… and we did ….

So we smothered her all over a grilled London broil, sorry no plating shots … we were too worked up after all da drinking and cooking ;)
25ggxog.jpg

Ok she’s a cross between a sweet orange and a Chinese mandarin but she has a distinctive taste … her flesh is semisweet, sure I’m unscientific, lol. But she’s unique, aromatic, sweeter and less acidic than most super hots … but she’s one with a wonderful rich aftertaste. Almost orangish but more unique, with her overtones of what I can not put my fingers or taste buds onto. That said, she’s juicy, spicy and she’ll brighten up any meal … She goes great with a bottle of Pinot Noir from da Montery county, hope you have da chance to enjoy her intricate and exciting taste …

Have a great weekend everyone \o/

the white pepper is truely a ghost-pepper :)

and I hear you on the furniture / nice stuff ... 

a couple of years ago, I bought some (for me at least) high-endish speakers ... just to find both domes being deformed/bent out of round  by curious kid's hands after the first week  :shocked:

I felt like dying for 20 sec or so ...  :violin:

but eventually got over it ... so no really nice stuff for us for the next 15 or so years  :twisted:

... at least they dont mess with them peppas  :mouthonfire:

cheers, Al

Stefan_W said:
Oh yum! You got me all lathered up now waiting for my yellow 7's to ripen. Great shots and description of how it tastes!
Tanks Stefan, I am seriously looking forward to reading your impression on da Yellow 7s and I think Jamie’s impression is a little more honed in than mine. But I gotta tell ya, I am now saving seed and soon planting my own … dem dat good …

Al-from-Chile said:
the white pepper is truely a ghost-pepper :)
¿? ok I'm a little slow, haha finally figured out your comment. You my friend are very clever :)

Al-from-Chile said:
and I hear you on the furniture / nice stuff ...

a couple of years ago, I bought some (for me at least) high-endish speakers ... just to find both domes being deformed/bent out of round  by curious kid's hands after the first week  :shocked:

I felt like dying for 20 sec or so ...  :violin:

but eventually got over it ... so no really nice stuff for us for the next 15 or so years  :twisted:

... at least they dont mess with them peppas  :mouthonfire:

cheers, Al
Ok I draw da line on my stereo equipment/portable audio gear & music mon ... "honey lets sell da kids" ;)

Devv said:
Nice Yellow 7 review Ramon!
Thanks brethren a must grow according to Mr. James and I will have to agree, soon be planting mine …

Devv said:
I just love London Broil, the leftovers on a sandwich can't be beat either.
You are so right, chop up dem leftovers, toss on some sofrito starter and melt some cheese over da concoction and you’re in heaven :)

Devv said:
Well the likes popos are out again, will bestow later. …
No problema mi amigo, you are too generous already ^_^

HabaneroHead said:
HI Ramon,
Nice foodie pics, I just had my dinner, and you made me hungry again! (though it is not that hard  :whistle: )
I really like the White Bhut pic!

Balázs
Thanks Balázs ^_^ … I would strongly recommend growing the White Bhut, she’s tasty, smexy and she’s a beautiful looking plant that produces awesome tasting pods…

stc3248 said:
Damn Ramon! MOAs galore...some safrito starter, steak...care packages... :dance:
You are on my list brethren, just say pull da trigger and I’ll send off some pods but I haven’t even suggested dem yet cause your pulls put mine to shame and rightfully so … you da mon!

stc3248 said:
Those Barrackpore's will hurt you! Ughhh...great now my stomach hurts.
You are so right, I only ate half her pod and I was cooked, lol, now I know better ... .

Some of the powders that I’m working on building up inventory …
2jer9s7.jpg

The JA Hab, Trinidad Scorpion and JA MoA Scotch Bonnet have beautiful colors, almost neon looking, pictures do not do them justice. Here’s the Trinidad Scorpion …
28h1udf.jpg

Chocolate Scorpion …
2v12rm0.jpg

I borrowed the glass storage idea below from Doc Brent (thanks Doc) and decided to do some testing before moving all my powders to glass. In the lid I stuff a coffee filter rice ball tied off with a twisty wire, trimmed up and they seem to hold fine within the lids resessed area. If this method works out fine over time, I will move all my powders to this new storage method. The rest will stay in the ziplocks inside an airtight container with rice in the bottom and at the top which has served me fine in the past.
2iazlhy.jpg

i1fs44.jpg

A few of the infused salts that I keep on hand …
2r7vt5u.jpg

Ramon my man, is good!

I really need to try making the salts.

Currently I'm keeping mine in the zip-lock bags inside a tupperware container with the rice bag. Our humidity level is so low here I don't think I'll have a problem.

I'm all for the higher humidity, hint, hint ;)

Devv said:
Ramon my man, is good!

I really need to try making the salts.
For sure brethren they are awesome on almost any food and you have some great looking powders to work with from the pics I saw :) You can mix in other powders also to flavor them. For example onion powder, garlic powder, sweet pepper powder, etc, etc. Some months back I made some MoA & Mango that was killer and I’ve made other strange combos that work out fine.

Devv said:
Currently I'm keeping mine in the zip-lock bags inside a tupperware container with the rice bag. Our humidity level is so low here I don't think I'll have a problem.

I'm all for the higher humidity, hint, hint ;)
I do the same but also have rice in the bottom of the Tupperware container for added security as our summers are extremely humid and like you no problems yet. I only made two of the glass containers to see how the powder holds up in them and if it works well, I’ll move to this method only for display purposes and still keep the bulk in da safe, lol.

Thanks for the offer...but the last thing I need right now are peppers! :rofl: I do wanna sample one...but take your time brother. I haven't even tried everything I got going yet!

I have tried similar with the powders...mine ended up clumpy but I didn't use the rice. Pint jars work well too...but I still just use zip locks and store them in plastic containers. I roll the air out of the bag and they keep pretty good. 

Gotta hit the sack bruddah...take care! 

WalkGood said:
Some of the powders that I’m working on building up inventory …
2jer9s7.jpg

The JA Hab, Trinidad Scorpion and JA MoA Scotch Bonnet have beautiful colors, almost neon looking, pictures do not do them justice. Here’s the Trinidad Scorpion …
28h1udf.jpg

Chocolate Scorpion …
2v12rm0.jpg

I borrowed the glass storage idea below from Doc Brent (thanks Doc) and decided to do some testing before moving all my powders to glass. In the lid I stuff a coffee filter rice ball tied off with a twisty wire, trimmed up and they seem to hold fine within the lids resessed area. If this method works out fine over time, I will move all my powders to this new storage method. The rest will stay in the ziplocks inside an airtight container with rice in the bottom and at the top which has served me fine in the past.
2iazlhy.jpg

i1fs44.jpg

A few of the infused salts that I keep on hand …
2r7vt5u.jpg

Looks Great Ramon, love those powders in the s/p shakers you'll only find that at a true chili heads house  :onfire:

Great review of the yellow 7 and even greater pics. Nobody else shows their passion( for peppers)  with words better than you. Why your not an official reviewer of the THP is beyond me  :crazy: . Maybe someone should clue the boss in.   ;) 

The powders and salts look perfect just like I would expect it to.  U got it goin on man   :fireball:

Wow, those powders look ridiculous good, my friend! Yeah, sometimes pictures don't do things justice but in this case I have a pretty good idea of what they are all about, and I'm impressed.

Bodeen said:
That's some nice looking powder
 Bodeen thanks for da kudos mon and back at you for your great grow ^_^

stc3248 said:
Thanks for the offer...but the last thing I need right now are peppers! :rofl: I do wanna sample one...but take your time brother. I haven't even tried everything I got going yet!
Shane I’m surprised you haven’t had a chance to try all your peppers yet but I guess I understand looking at the pulls you have  it must be hard to decide which one to eat and cook with, awesome pulls brethren!

stc3248 said:
I have tried similar with the powders...mine ended up clumpy but I didn't use the rice. Pint jars work well too...but I still just use zip locks and store them in plastic containers. I roll the air out of the bag and they keep pretty good.

Gotta hit the sack bruddah...take care!
 Good point and I will be keeping the bulk of mine in ziplocks as well with rice at the bottom of the tupperware container and at the top inside a coffee filter. I liked the look Doc achieved in glass for display purposes, knowing how bad our humidity is here I decided to test 2 jars with rice to see how the powder holds up. If I don’t end up liking them for it, they will always make a nice gift for my brother or sisters.

Have a great week mon!

FreeportBum said:
Looks Great Ramon, love those powders in the s/p shakers you'll only find that at a true chili heads house  :onfire:
Thank you Devan for da kudos, I plan on making a few extra shakers with different colors and spices in each. As you already know they’re tasty and fun to share with family and friends. My sister & her husband were over one night, said “what’s this?” I told her, she said “oh I don’t like things too hot,” she hit the hottest one all night and asked if I would make her some, lolz.

Have a great week!

romy6 said:
Great review of the yellow 7 and even greater pics. Nobody else shows their passion( for peppers)  with words better than you. Why your not an official reviewer of the THP is beyond me  :crazy: . Maybe someone should clue the boss in.   ;)

The powders and salts look perfect just like I would expect it to.  U got it goin on man   :fireball:
 Thanks Jamie, you have some awesome powder yourself ^_^ Hope you enjoy trying some of mine out ^_^

Have a great week mon!

Al-from-Chile said:
Yeah - Ray is def. the Ernest Hemmingway of THP :D

Hahaha I wish …

Stefan_W said:
Wow, those powders look ridiculous good, my friend! Yeah, sometimes pictures don't do things justice but in this case I have a pretty good idea of what they are all about, and I'm impressed.
Thanks Stefan, I’m impressed too when I look and read thru your glog and I appreciate da kudos brethren. I hope you have a great week!

romy6 "Not Douglah"
I was blessed to receive one of brethren Jamie’s (romy6) “Not Douglah’s” and if you’ve never had the chance to try one I say you are really missing out on one fantastic tasting pepper. She’s colorful, fruity, spicy, juicy, well balanced and semi-sweet all in one. She’s not overly hot but she does have a little kick. One could say she’s complex but once you experience her melt-in-your-mouth taste, I think you’ll agree that she can be a whole lot of fun to eat in or on cooked foods.

This isn’t the first time I ate one so I was well aware of how tasty these girls are. Especially when they’re fully ripe and juicy bringing on their sweetness. The largest one was a little over ripened around the stem but nothing wrong with the rest of her and I wasn’t going to throw this bad beauty away. After removing a little off her top I chopped up some onions and sautéed dem together to put over my steak & chicken stir fry. Boy was she sweet, fruity and distinctive … a treat fit for a king!

Thanks again Jamie \o/

idbp02.jpg

2m2xm6o.jpg

Back