• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

WalkGood said:
Sweet … let’s go for it ;)

Would be great but even though we’re in Mahi season, there’s none around and with so much rain its not fun getting skunked -_-

You probably have much less humidity too, you can walk 50 paces here and be in perspiration city, lol.

Looks like the first pod is going to be chocolate, but you tell me how it compares to yours. On the mites; seems as soon as the rain lets up they’re marching back up the plants. Where do these devils come from, I can see them without cheaters when they’re marching, sky water doesn’t see to bother them =_=
5wf48n.jpg

2nc084i.jpg
2n6rh2x.jpg

Small harvest between the rains today, I was able to pick a few Jal’s

ixgkrp.jpg

Most of them are around this size, maybe 2 or 3 fatter and possibly 1 or 2 longer but I’m fine with them.
303d5zn.jpg

Thanks all for comments and suggestions, I hope everyone has a great day mañana!!!
Hey Mon, I ate one of my Choco habs last night, it was pretty darn hot! Mine have been looking a bit more rounded than yours, but otherwise a beautiful shade of brown. The plants have a great symmetrical growth pattern. 

CAM01853.jpg

Al-from-Chile said:
thx for the salt-tips :-)
No problema my friend, below you’ll see the follow up to the drying, then grinding but I can’t do the salt today because my wife took the camera to work. Hopefully I can try to make some for you tomorrow ^_^

Devv said:
Ramon, I have the same dehydrator as you, works just fine.
Cool beans, they are good and I like the expansion capability now if I could only get yields as high as you, Jamie, Shane and others here on THP I’ll be in business ;)

thegreenman said:
Hey Mon, I ate one of my Choco habs last night, it was pretty darn hot! Mine have been looking a bit more rounded than yours, but otherwise a beautiful shade of brown. The plants have a great symmetrical growth pattern.
I like the look/shape of both pods, the more rounded ones produce bigger pods on my red habs but I don’t know about the choco’s. Yes they’re super hot & tasty … great pepper!

Fifteen to eighteen hours later this is how the Jamaican Habanero’s look dried out. They are crispy like potato chips, shiny and when you toss dem into a bowl they sound like poker chips clicking against each other, hehe.

289ve43.jpg

2rpzgwy.jpg

5yrw5u.jpg

9aoakp.jpg

9i6y6r.jpg

1z65c6.jpg

34t3gwx.jpg

35k7m9s.jpg

303iuyg.jpg

No cam today so I’ll try to do some salt tomorrow, thank you for stopping in and have a great day ^_^

Atta Boy Ramon! Pavlovian response kicking in on my mark... :drooling: :drooling: :drooling: 

Lovin' the look of your powder and I bet it tastes as good as it looks. Good on ya!

stickman said:
Atta Boy Ramon! Pavlovian response kicking in on my mark... :drooling: :drooling: :drooling:

Lovin' the look of your powder and I bet it tastes as good as it looks. Good on ya!
Thank you Rick, yes it does taste good. Mañana some will be infused salt, hope it comes out as good as last time, but this time I’m going heavier on the powder. Have a great day brethren!

Pr0digal_son said:
Nice rich color. I am still up to my ears in powder and dried pods from last season.
John being up to your ears in powder sounds like a good thing … bag it, tag it, make some salts, rubs and gift da rest. I wish I had production strong enough to have dat problem, hehe. Thanks for the color comment, it’s not hard to fail with red as long as you dehydrate at low temps and long time. Have a great one mon!

As always, thanks guys for popping in, comments, advice and all … your da best ^_^

windchicken said:
Beautiful Ramon! I love dried red chinenses...Here at the office I've got bags and bags of them from the big grow of 2011...

Congo Trinidad seems to get even tastier when dried...and the aroma is almost narcotic...

Gary
Don’t think one of dem bags would last too long around here, hehe. Thanks for the kudos on da red chilies skate brethren ^_^ I completely agree with you on the aroma, I can’t get enough of that delish smell, thanks for popping by Gary :)

thegreenman said:
man I really need to learn how to take photos, and also get a decent camera...Your pics rock.
Thank you for da compliment Chris ^_^ We need to get together soon, I could give you a JA Hab, seeds or some powder if I have any left. Have a great day mon!

KingLeerUK said:
Do you take any special safety measures when doing your powder grinding? HEPA filter mask? Outdoors? Outsource the work to India? :)
HEPA, lol … na I just do it in the garage or mama will get mad, she really can’t breath during the process but it doesn’t bother me, I actually like the smell. That said, I tried to play tuff guy early this morning unloading without gloves on, which I normally use and I ended up having my face feel like it was on fire, lol. Come to think of it, just above my right eye still burns, hahaha.

Thanks for stopping by, have a great day!

Been busy (swamped) here at work, has finally calmed down to where I can start to catch up on glogs.

Thanks for the infused salt directions, Have some pods I might try this with this weekend. Have you ever used a Smoke pepper infused salt? Think I might give this a shot this weekend since I have to try out the smoker LOL.

Plants and foodie looks awesome man. Had to skip through the foodie pics rather quick since I didnt have lunch today.

The Powder looks fantastic! You say you're gonna make some hot salt too!!! Mmmmm....great job and nice little bag of powder you got there!

I was going to comment on the lack of gloves...That shiz may be aight with some Habs, but once you step up to some Reapers you'll need to be careful. FYerrybody's I...nitrile(blue) gloves work best because latex with slowly let the oil get through. A fan on one end of the table pulling air across will keep things under control. I still tie an old shirt around my mouth and nose...I ain't tough like Ramon and will end up coughing and sneezing. 

koskorgul said:
Been busy (swamped) here at work, has finally calmed down to where I can start to catch up on glogs.

Thanks for the infused salt directions, Have some pods I might try this with this weekend. Have you ever used a Smoke pepper infused salt? Think I might give this a shot this weekend since I have to try out the smoker LOL.

Plants and foodie looks awesome man. Had to skip through the foodie pics rather quick since I didnt have lunch today.
Rob thanks for the positive vibe mon! Yes as long as I have peppers I use the smoker too, the big difference is that you loose the pretty color of the peppers you use but the advantage is that you get that wonderful added smoky flavor, now treat yourself to something to eat and enjoy! PS don’t forget to take some pics of your smoked peppers and good luck with them.

Devv said:
Wow that powder sure does look pretty!

Do you use the seeds or sift them out?

Looks like you have enough for a few days there :D
I took all the seeds out of the Jals I did the other day, man what a chore lolz but it’s worth keeping that pure green look to it. With the JA Habs I left them in, too much work. Long dehydrating time makes them easy to grind and most grind up completely by the second run, nothing left to sift out. Well I have 2 sisters and one brother so it might not last a few days, lol.

stc3248 said:
The Powder looks fantastic! You say you're gonna make some hot salt too!!! Mmmmm....great job and nice little bag of powder you got there!
Thanks Shane, complaments from a great grower, powder makers and master chef like you are always great to read :) I hear ya on “dat little bag,” hehe but I'm just not producing as much as last year or the year before with less plants too. Hopefully next run I’ll fill all 12 trays ;)

stc3248 said:
I was going to comment on the lack of gloves...That shiz may be aight with some Habs, but once you step up to some Reapers you'll need to be careful. FYerrybody's I...nitrile(blue) gloves work best because latex with slowly let the oil get through. A fan on one end of the table pulling air across will keep things under control. I still tie an old shirt around my mouth and nose...I ain't tough like Ramon and will end up coughing and sneezing.
I normally always use gloves, got a box handy in da kitchen, probably didn’t use them cause I was up at 5 busy grinding and had not had papi’s coffee yet, wasn’t thinking clear cause these JA Habs are mighty hot IMHO and did burn my face. Great tips on the fan, IIRC I saw it in your pics or read the description. While I love the idea, my garage is kind of open air so I don’t inhale any powder as long as I’m careful but yea I get a whiff and I’m sneezing too. If it’s windy out, I’ll use a mask … thanks for the positive vibes mon!

As always, thanks all for stopping in, reading and providing the best advice & feedback east of Hawaii ;) Have a great day and remainder of da week, heck have a great weekend too ^_^

Here’s the infused salt shots I promised Al, sorry about the first one being out of focus but mama made up for it with the second picture ^_^ I made this batch 60/40 powder to salt, I was going to mix it even higher ratio but after tasting it I realized that it would have been too hot for mama and I can always add in extra powder or fresh peppers to my dish.
33tp6k0.jpg

5a50k2.jpg

Here’s how the finished Jamaican Habanero infused salt looks after grinding.
4k775w.jpg

Close up
a75ky.jpg

Finally bottled, I made just enough for one shaker not quite full but not bad for eye balling it.
55pfrt.jpg

j5dwrq.jpg

Up for tomorrow baby Red Bhut Jolokia pods, plant and mas ...
30j0cn4.jpg

Thanks for looking ^_^

Back