• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

If you haven't tried Yellow TS or 7-pot pods before, you've got to! The large-podded Yellow 7 variety I got from Judy has a sweet fruity taste to rival your JA Habs and a good deal more heat! I'm gonna have plenty of them when they really start kicking in, so I'll send you a few then if you'd like.

Ramon,

I ate one of those Thai Hots tonight, dang! Was I surprised! Tiny little buggers are hot! Nice taste, and slam! Only a 3x over a BB. Just crazy!

Brought the Trinidad Scorp to work today...very hot, flavor hidden by the heat! Really strong scents from that pepper!

Thanks again for sharing! I've been duly enlightened!

Wow man I'm jealous of all the ladybug action! I usually see em all over and not a single one for my first year gardening, go figure.

And the pate looked super dank! And all them pods, gawt damn.

Trippa said:
Great blog Ramon... I don't get on here much lately but stopping in to these is inspiring stuff ... Great pods .. Great powder and great commentary!! Cheers bro

Thanks Trippa, you have great grows also, I loved your last glog and I'm sure your new one will blow last years away. You have great knowledge to share and your pics are da envy of all, thanks for sharing and have a great weekend mon!

BTW I’m not getting online as much as before either, kinda sucks being so busy now :/

FreeportBum said:
Love those MOA pods Ramon very nice. Think I may have to put them on the grow list for next year.

Thanks Devan, I would highly recommend growing Scotch Bonnet for da taste and the MoA is one great looking plant. Hope you do put it on your list … have a great weekend mon!

stickman said:
If you haven't tried Yellow TS or 7-pot pods before, you've got to! The large-podded Yellow 7 variety I got from Judy has a sweet fruity taste to rival your JA Habs and a good deal more heat! I'm gonna have plenty of them when they really start kicking in, so I'll send you a few then if you'd like.

Wow Rick you my brethren are too generous ^_^ I will eventually have to grow some. Have a great weekend brethren!

PS check out the last pic, it's great ... much fresher than da stuff I normally use.

Durham Bull said:
Beautiful Jamaican MoA Scotch Bonnets pods.

Definitely on my list for next year.

Great call Sy, you won’t be sorry putting the JA MoA SB on your list, they’re really tasty! Tanks for the kudos mon and you have a great weekend!

Devv said:
+1 on 1763!

And they have great flavor and just the right heat. A really "eatable" pepper!

I know should be edible....

I’m glad you liked the taste and tanks Scott for kudos, I can see you growing some killa MoAs soon that will rival all others. They’ll do great under your shade cloth, sooner or later I’ll have to build one for mine, I know they would be doing better with less heat stress. Hope you have an awesome weekend brethren!

SweatSauwce said:
great looking peps daw perfect shapes

Tanks Drew, did you finally get the seeds? If not you have a chili lovin postal worker in your area … We can hook up half way if you wish, I’m near Davie Blvd just east of 95 by not more than a mile or so.

Durham Bull said:
how about the red SB variety?

Been ages since I’ve tried one, IIRC Steve has one for me but he’s MIA lately when I’ve called. Not going to be on my grow list as I’m happy with the reds I have going and I love the traditional SB but they’re great peppers too!

Have a great weekend and tanks for stopping in ^_^

Devv said:
Ramon,

I ate one of those Thai Hots tonight, dang! Was I surprised! Tiny little buggers are hot! Nice taste, and slam! Only a 3x over a BB. Just crazy!

Brought the Trinidad Scorp to work today...very hot, flavor hidden by the heat! Really strong scents from that pepper!

Thanks again for sharing! I've been duly enlightened!

Scott I find those little Thai Hots pack some punch too, the seed is direct from Thailand carried back by my college roommate. I have 3 plants growing but they’re all very small so it’s been months now to fill a ziplock ¼ way and still saving to make a special Thai hot sauce but once will be enough as you need hundreds thousands of them to proceed, lol.

Yea I agree on the TS sent and how the heat hides their true flavor. It's possible that those who don't like them don't let them fully ripen, I find them more flavorful if you let them get really soft (beyond ripe) but naturally using them in food is the way to go. Happy you enjoyed da peppers mon, hope you and yours have a great day!

Peptacular said:
Wow man I'm jealous of all the ladybug action! I usually see em all over and not a single one for my first year gardening, go figure.

And the pate looked super dank! And all them pods, gawt damn.

Tanks Taylor, hope you got the seeds …

It took a long time but now every plant I have has 5 or 6 ladybug larva’s running around on them and some have cocooned to turn to ladybugs. So I’m not spraying neem or anything now, unfortunately before this the bug build up was big and one or two plants didn’t make it but the one’s that did are cleaned up well without ever buying ladybugs and now I have more than I've ever seen naturally \o/

Stay tuned as this morning I shot some pics of the larva and I’ll post dem later today, hope you have a great weekend mon!

Now for a Cuban Omelet with Jamaican Habanero, Jamaican MoA Scotch Bonnet, Onions, Pepperoni, Ham, Cheese and a surprise finish provided by Rick (stickman)
28sn8mx.jpg

dmwa35.jpg

zx75he.jpg

zx75he.jpg

2zox6ky.jpg

2e4vqc9.jpg

nn9uhl.jpg

Rick, it adds a very nice mild, sweet taste adding a new dimension to any dish ... thanks again Rick!
23vkj7q.jpg

As always, thanks everyone for comments, advice, recommendations and sharing your pepper love … hope all have a great weekend!

Be back later to post some other pics …

stickman said:
Glad you like it Ramon... the omelette looked killer!
  • Rick it's done very well, did you use paprika plants?
  • Have you made it with other peppers, well I guess that would just be like powdering hotter peppers.
  • Have you tried the JA Hab powder?
  • Thanks again for sending some, I love packaging in glass which IMHO has the least taste transference of any material.

Here’s a grouping army of “A” to “B” shaped pods that I picked yesterday when I got home from work. These are the shapes that I have been getting seed that I’ve sent out to THP members. That said, I don’t know that taking a seed from a better shaped pod guarantees a better shaped pod on a subsequent plant, if there is any evidence to that could someone point me to it, thanks.
vspaia.jpg

14vsr5w.jpg

2guxtuf.jpg

15xpshh.jpg

voc3ec.jpg

2ij235w.jpg

28ksg43.jpg

Tanks for looking ^_^

WalkGood said:

• Rick it's done very well, did you use paprika plants?
  • Have you made it with other peppers, well I guess that would just be like powdering hotter peppers.
  • Have you tried the JA Hab powder?
  • Thanks again for sending some, I love packaging in glass which IMHO has the least taste transference of any material.

Yup, it was made from the pods I got from Balazs' Hungarian Sweet Paprika seeds. He got his seeds from his girlfriend's grandfather before he passed. I've got a couple ounces of seed if you're interested in some... I'd like to see this disseminated widely, it's a great pepper for sweet powders!
   I haven't tried your powder yet because I'm trying to sample the fresh pods before they go soft, but I'll get back to you when I do. Today I chopped the Birdseye chiles into some Saag Paneer... a mild curried spinach with fried chunks of an Indian cheese called Paneer. It was a perfect fit! The birdseyes gave it just enough heat without overpowering the mild taste of the spinach and cheese. Cheers!

stickman said:

Yup, it was made from the pods I got from Balazs' Hungarian Sweet Paprika seeds. He got his seeds from his girlfriend's grandfather before he passed. I've got a couple ounces of seed if you're interested in some... I'd like to see this disseminated widely, it's a great pepper for sweet powders!

Wow they’re super tasty, I’d be honored to grow some and help you spread the seed. Don't go out of your way or just wait till you have spare time, thanks ^_^

stickman said:
I haven't tried your powder yet because I'm trying to sample the fresh pods before they go soft, but I'll get back to you when I do. Today I chopped the Birdseye chiles into some Saag Paneer... a mild curried spinach with fried chunks of an Indian cheese called Paneer. It was a perfect fit! The birdseyes gave it just enough heat without overpowering the mild taste of the spinach and cheese. Cheers!

Wow that sounds delish yea put the JA Hab powder on the back burner as that will stay good for a long time. Plus it’s not processed or anything, you can use as it or you could make other things from it. Always easy to make some JA Hab salt adding garlic and onion powder as well … enjoy!

I’m running across ladybug larva all over the place so I took a few pictures to share. I never bought them but I probably would in a hart beat noticing how beneficial they are. These suckers are crawling around everywhere, on the outside of pots, on da patio table, on plants, da ground, etc. So I decided to relocate some so that every plants has a few and 24 hours later they’ve cleaned up all the bad bugs on the host plant.

309jwwm.jpg

2qspjsn.jpg

2mwcfae.jpg

o79k0g.jpg

Looks like I finally have 2 pods ripening up on the White Bhut but well worth the wait for their wonderful taste ^_^
29yl208.jpg

x6ix6x.jpg

Tanks for looking and have a great day!

Love the creamy colour on the white bhut!

I always have mixed feelings about ladybugs. They eat my wife's flowers in the front so she hates them, but they keep the nasties off of my peppers in the back so I love them. I'm glad we dont have our plants side by side.

Have a great weekend, Ramon!

Nice updates!

The MOA's are beautiful! Hmmmm Omelet gonna have one in the morning, can't wait!

Glad to see the Labybugs are taking up residence, I wish I had more! One thing I have been seeing is baby lizards and lots of red and yellow wasps, don't know what the wasps eat or turn into hosts?

White Bhut's are looking great as well!

Have a great weekend!

Stefan_W said:

Love the creamy colour on the white bhut!
Thanks Stefan, last batch got much whiter but these are not ripe yet, I'm not sure if you saw those pictures in my glog but they were very white in my book for a pepper, btw they are super nice tasting but not a lot of heat.

Stefan_W said:

I always have mixed feelings about ladybugs. They eat my wife's flowers in the front so she hates them, but they keep the nasties off of my peppers in the back so I love them. I'm glad we dont have our plants side by side.

Have a great weekend, Ramon!
I’d gladly give up some of my flowers to have more but I hear you, there’s just some flowering plants that no one would give up. I’ve yet to see the ladybugs here eat any flowers but that’s how I got to hate the green iguanas … caught them eating up our orchids and hibiscus flowers. The icing on the cake was when I had to rebuild a portion of our seawall because they dug nests into it and they have no natural predators except our winter when they will occasionally freeze to death.

Have a great weekend back at ya ^_^

Devv said:
Nice updates!

The MOA's are beautiful! Hmmmm Omelet gonna have one in the morning, can't wait!

Glad to see the Labybugs are taking up residence, I wish I had more! One thing I have been seeing is baby lizards and lots of red and yellow wasps, don't know what the wasps eat or turn into hosts?

White Bhut's are looking great as well!

Have a great weekend!
Thanks Scott, AFAIK wasps take the mites to feed their babies … I love to see them on my plants. Once I saw a green hornet carrying off a little hornworm and I was like high fiving myself in the garden, lol.

Great weekend back at ya!

Really great MoA photos Ramon!  Such a great looking pepper, those As are beautifully symmetrical! I can't wait to grow me a whole row next season!

Back with a vengence!!! Bam! Only problem is your grading system...if I got you as a college Prof I would drop you before the full refund deadline! I don't see any "B"s in that group of MoAs...Heck I don't even see any "A"s straight A+s with extra credit over the top! Such beautiful pods...The White Bhuts are stunning also....top it all off with a Cuban Omelet "Spicy Huevo Surprise" (That's what I call it when I am making powder and have to go...and well, you get the idea!) then you top that off with some Rick's famous Sweet Paprika??? You are Walkin Good my friend!

Sorry I though I mentioned it but if not I sincerely apologize. I got your seeds and I really appreciate it bro! They'll be germinated this coming January. I plan to get every single one into soil!

Ps that omelette looks über dank!

MGOLD86 said:
Really great MoA photos Ramon!  Such a great looking pepper, those As are beautifully symmetrical! I can't wait to grow me a whole row next season!
Thanks Matt for da photo comments and back at ya mon, yours are looking great as well! Not many are perfectly symmetrical but some are dam close, thanks to Steve we gotz these seeds and it’s funny I lived in JA for a good number of years, even sailed with one of the Ministries heading up an agricultural position … shame on me, lol.

I look forward to seeing your MoA’s grow next season, have a great day!

stc3248 said:
Back with a vengence!!! Bam! Only problem is your grading system...if I got you as a college Prof I would drop you before the full refund deadline! I don't see any "B"s in that group of MoAs...Heck I don't even see any "A"s straight A+s with extra credit over the top! Such beautiful pods...The White Bhuts are stunning also....top it all off with a Cuban Omelet "Spicy Huevo Surprise" (That's what I call it when I am making powder and have to go...and well, you get the idea!) then you top that off with some Rick's famous Sweet Paprika??? You are Walkin Good my friend!
Tanks Shane for all dem kudos, you are too kind my friend and back at ya ^_^  As I said to Matt, I look forward to seeing your MoAs grow if and when you decide to grow dem, I’m betting you’ll be kicking azz with them! Have a great day brethren!

Peptacular said:
Sorry I though I mentioned it but if not I sincerely apologize. I got your seeds and I really appreciate it bro! They'll be germinated this coming January. I plan to get every single one into soil!

Ps that omelette looks über dank!
Tanks for omelet kudos and glad to read you got da seed, maybe I had read and forgot … if so my apologies. Hope you have a great day mon!

Back