• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Philippine Tomato Salad

A girlfriend of our family is from the Philippine islands and her mom showed us this recipe many years ago. While we call it “Philippine Tomato Salad,” she never told us the correct name. This is simple to make, taste great and goes well as a side dish with fish, Chicken or Steak served on the same plate taking advantage of the juice to augment main course.

Ingredients:
  • 6 Whole Tomatoes (fresh)
  • 3 to 4 Jalapeños
  • 1 Purple Onion
  • ¼ to ½ Cup Soy Sauce
First wash everything well, chop tomatoes in half and then into wedges, place into a large salad bowl like pictures below. Dice purple onion and toss over the tomatoes in same bowl. Dice up the Jalapeño peppers with seeds and membrane (you can remove some seeds but the membrane is needed even if it falls off the small diced pieces), toss into same bowl. We do the Soy Sauce by eye, don’t use too much but roughly between ¼ to ½ Cup depending on the size of tomatoes. Now mix up (stir) all the ingredients in bowl making sure the soy coats everything well. Put a lid over salad bowl and place salad in fridge for 1 hour to cool, this allows the tomatoes to release their juice which adds to overall flavor. Before serving mix Tomato Salad again with juices in bottom of bowl. Some people like to strain off some of the extra juice but we love it as is and I would recommend trying it juicy, enjoy!

Picked a few fresh pods today just to make salad for dinner.
257lnv4.jpg

Chop tomato in half, then into four wedges, purple onion is diced and so are the Jalapeños.
15yyc0x.jpg

All placed into a large salad bowl.
x0nyia.jpg

Use your favorite brand of soy sauce and pour over all ingredients.
aavgvs.jpg

Looks like this picture.
2yjopif.jpg

If you look to bottom of bowl there should be 1/4 to 1/2 inch of soy in the bottom.
21aw9oo.jpg

Once done, looks like this below, place in fridge for 1 hour to chill and allow tomatoes to bleed additional juice into salad.
dd1edh.jpg

Finished salad served.
10z4ug3.jpg

If you want to check out my glog click here.

Dam...........we.just got back from dinner and that looks great! I'll have to give that one a shot with some charred rare Flank Steak. The tomatoes and soy make a nice combo...........Whats to drink?

I'm making this with something this weekend. Looks simple and delicious. Nice looking Jalapenos too! Bet that hour of soaking gets the jap juice blending into the mix as well. Thanks for posting this.

looks good to me maybe me and this "girlfriend" can hook up if she cooks like this. i just would need about 12 more pieces of that steak!

Nice. An "asian" flair to Pico de Gallo... with larger slices of tomato. I get why you call it "tomato salad". It really is a side, not a topping. Lovin' it.

I'm making this with something this weekend. Looks simple and delicious.
Yes its very easy to make and we find it very delicious, so let me know how you like it :)

Nice looking Jalapenos too!
Thanks and the Jalapeños are home grown. We have 5 Jalapeño pepper plants, 3 of them are doing fine and 2 look sickly. I have no idea why, I’ve tried everything on them and no go yet but haven't given up on dem. Another strange thing is when I allow the pods to fully ripen to red they loose their heat but while I use dem green they’re very hot and tasty little devils.

Bet that hour of soaking gets the jap juice blending into the mix as well. Thanks for posting this.
I agree with your assessment, the flavors definitely blend very well and serving cold with fish is one of my favorite ways but definitely goes well as a side dish with anything IMHO.

looks good to me maybe me and this "girlfriend" can hook up if she cooks like this. i just would need about 12 more pieces of that steak!
Girl friend is beautiful (sorry can't post pic) but unfortunately she’s married and yes we do have seconds on steak and tom salad :)

Nice. An "asian" flair to Pico de Gallo... with larger slices of tomato. I get why you call it "tomato salad". It really is a side, not a topping. Lovin' it.
Yes it is an easy side to make, if you a fast chopper it only takes minutes and compliments any dish IMHO. The longest part is letting it marinate in the fridge for an hour or more ...

Very nice looking dish! Great choice using purple onions, it really adds to the color.
While this is very colorful the use of purple onion is for taste and not to add color, it is a very good side and would not taste the same without the purple onion. Seeing how you and Sofia are raising Jalapeños, you should give this side a try when you have some pods. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the explosive taste of the tomatoes :)

Thanks everyone for the comments and hope you enjoy this tom salad as much as we do! Enjoy!

Back