• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest The Next Throwdown is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am with 3/5......... kinda confused cuz it's the first weekend of the month and no TD???? Haven't been around so maybe I missed something....... Anyway, depending on what this is maybe hubby and I can get in on this.

Is that a HINT as to the next challenge? I have not been following and will check in Friday.... just wondering if FRY~ was a clue ot the next TD....

No worries.......I can wing it~

WINGS!!!!! are we doing WINGS?!?!????

The next TD is... BBQ Triple Play.

Real BBQ. This means smoked; outdoor, indirect cooking using wood for smoke and charcoal, wood, electric, or gas for source. Other cooking methods are allowed for portions of your meal as long as the main component is smoked!

BBQ Triple Play
----------------------
Beef
Pork

Non-meat (meaning no flesh of any animal)

All smoked - on one plate. You can mix-n-match the above 3 HOWEVER you want! Just pick 3 even if they are the same.  Examples:

3 Beef (tri-tip, ribs, meatballs)

1 Beef, 2 Pork (brisket, pulled pork, ribs)

1 Beef, 1 Pork, 1 Non-meat (brisket, ribs, smoked beer cheese soup)

Showcase the meat or be inventive and come up with something new. The smoked meat can be an ingredient of something larger. The possibilities of the mix-n-match are endless, and even vegetarians can enter!

DIFFERENT CUTS - NOT THE SAME CUT TWICE! (It may be from the same initial cut of meat but MUST be significantly different). Do not enter the same cut prepared two ways.

Example:
Pulled pork sandwich and pulled pork on the plate. NO! Cop out.
Pulled pork sandwich and sliced money muscle. YES. The money muscle is a different cut within the shoulder and sliced, not pulled.
Burnt ends chili and sliced brisket. YES. Burnt ends are significantly different from slices of brisket.

You can also use any of the categories "Beef, Pork, Non-meat" to create a smoked side, they do not all have to be entrees.

Any additional sides (or garnishes) may include sauces, fresh and pickled fruits and veg, and slaws and salads only. Since all 3 components are smoked, the idea is, to show some freshness or acidity to break up the meal or give it color.

Additional sides as stated above must be on the side unless used as garnish.

3 components means 4 pics allowed.
3 of each and 1 complete plating pic.

Remember 3 key things:
  • Voters like variety not repetition.
  • It is important to see the smoke rings and doneness of whatever is cooked so think about that with the individual pics.
  • In pictures BBQ can look boring so get creative with flavors so the descriptions help your entry. The classic plate of pulled pork and ribs may be slammin' but may pale in comparison to some Asian flavors, glazes, and colors, since we vote using pictures. Just an example. But think outside the box.
Starts Friday!

I am having a hard time coming up with a third meat.  I have two, no problem, but a third to tie it all together...  I am sure it will come to me. 

Now, time to clean the oven and get ready for some bbqing!

JayT said:
I am having a hard time coming up with a third meat.  I have two, no problem, but a third to tie it all together...  I am sure it will come to me. 

Doesn't need to be meat....just saying. :)

The Hot Pepper said:
BBQ Triple Play
----------------------
Beef
Pork
Non-meat (meaning no flesh of any animal)

All smoked - on one plate. You can mix-n-match those HOWEVER you want! Just pick 3 even if they are the same. Examples:

JayT said:

There is no third meat, beef and pork only, so not sure what you are trying to do there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back