• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

PaulG 2013

We are starting the New Year with a little run of freezing weather; lows in the 25˚F range at night.

1/1/13 - Soaked seeds 24+ hours, put into seed starting mix (BG, peat and perlite mix). The temp in the grow shelf about 72 degrees, the dome trays about 84 degrees.

DSCN5133a.jpg

DSCN5134a.jpg

DSCN5136a.jpg

Here's the seed and overwinter list for this season:

OW greenhouse plants. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant:

Explosive Ember, c. annuum (THSC)​
NuMex Twilight, c. annuum (CPI from Ken/Siliman)​
Black Pearl, c. annuum (THSC)​
Goat's Weed, c. annuum (Shane/Stc3248)​
Bushy Peruvian Market Yellow Aji, c. baccatum
Red Manzano, c. pubescens (Shane)​
Wild Texas Tepin, c. annuum (THSC)​
(?) Wild Brazil c. baccatum var. praetermissum (Shane)​
Fatali, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Ghost Pepper, c. chinense (Robin/Spankycolts P)​
Chocolate Habanero, c. chinense (Refining Fire), also 2 in #1 pots​
'Red' Habanero, c. chinense (Lily Miller) - orange pods​
Peach Habanero, c. chinense (Fernando/SocalChilihead)​
Congo Trinidad, c. chinense (Peppermania)​

Seeds for this season. Seed source in parentheses, P = plant,

H = my pod harvest OP, * = repeat from 2012:​

*Costeño Amarillo, c. annuum (Fernando) H​
*Chiltepin, c.annuum (CPI)
*Marconi Rosso, c. annuum (Hume Organic)​
*Tepin cross, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Tepin 15, c. annuum (Shane) H​
*Orange Rocoto, c. pubescens (Peppermania) H​
Devil's Tongue, c. chinense (USHotStuff)​
Yellow Seven, c. chinense (Trippa)​
*Naga Morich, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Bih Jolokia, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Bonda Ma Jacques, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Bahamian Goat, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Congo Trinidad Yellow, c. chinense (Pia/Sanarda pod)​
*Congo Trinidad Red, c. chinense (Peppermania) H​
*Red Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
Jamaican Red Habanero, c. chinense (Ferry Morse)​
Red Savina, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Jamaican Red Mushroom, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
Peruvian White Habanero, c. chinense (Peppermania)​
Orange Habanero, c. chinense (CPI)​
*Fatali/Savina, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
*Pointed Yellow Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​
Scotch Bonnet MoA, c. chinense (Steve)​
Scotch Bonnet TFM, c. chinense (Trippa)​
Yellow Scotch Bonnet, c. chinense (Refining Fire)​
*Giant White Habanero, c. chinense (Robin P) H​

PaulG said:
… My neck and shoulders hurt from standing for so long with my head down.  And more to go! …
I get similar pains so I take a break throw away the gloves and enjoy a nice cold beer \o/ I’ve been either too busy or lazy lately ;) Da freezer full of pods to process, plants filling up nicely and very little time … I now understand how some enjoy ending da season for a break. Some of my oldest plants are reaching 5 :-0

All your Goats look great, mmm curry mutton FTW ... I always thought that there is some scotch bonnet in them so the bonnet shaped one does not surprise me, but still looks awesome when we see dem things ...

PaulG said:
… The sun has been sort of bleaching the pods from peach to a much lighter color.  Go figure, too much sun in October   ;)
Ride dat solar wave as long as you can, da plants will love you back … so what month do you call da fat lady into sing?

Hab a great Friday and weekend \o/

Nice work Paul!

Pics are fantastic as usual.

Hoping the weather hangs in there a bit longer, mines hanging in there, 60's at night and high 70's to low 80's during the day. Finally seeing the first sign of color on the supers..I think they'll make it!

Enjoy the weekend!

annie57 said:
Yes; cold front because I didn't check weather--that is happening here on a night too cold to open window :rofl:

Beautiful looking 'hydrator loads ;)
That's no fun, girl!  I can't wait for Spring   :cool:

Did manage 'nother small pull of Bahamian Goats:
_DSC0649a_zpsad8fbb6a.jpg

Sort of a mixed bag.  Two Giant White Habs that fell off the plant, some Jamaican
Red Mushrooms, Some Yellow 7's, some Bondas, two Naga Morics and a Red Hab:
_DSC0650a_zps670185ab.jpg

Bodeen said:
Those racks do look nice.  First time I actually looked at red mushrooms and I must say they look really nice. For me the yellows were always a fight.
The Red Mushrooms have a great flavor but no heat.  I'm thinking they would be good mixed with some other hot variety for some nice powder.  I didn't know there were yellow mushroom peppers.

Hope yu are enjoying your weekend, Jeff!

Pulled some more pods yesterday; they are sort of dribbling in in small amounts now.  Here are some Fatali/Savinas:
_DSC0657a_zps3d34f096.jpg

Some Bondas and Fatalis:
_DSC0659a_zps590676b9.jpg

And into the dryer they go!:
_DSC0660a_zps63ffe591.jpg

The rest of yesterday's harvest.  Peruvian White Bullet Habs, Congo Trinidad reds, and a few
Pointed Yellow Habs:
_DSC0661a_zps24525a63.jpg

And the dryer rack:
_DSC0662a_zpsa062ce80.jpg

WalkGood said:
I get similar pains so I take a break throw away the gloves and enjoy a nice cold beer \o/ I’ve been either too busy or lazy lately ;) Da freezer full of pods to process, plants filling up nicely and very little time … I now understand how some enjoy ending da season for a break. Some of my oldest plants are reaching 5 :-0

All your Goats look great, mmm curry mutton FTW ... I always thought that there is some scotch bonnet in them so the bonnet shaped one does not surprise me, but still looks awesome when we see dem things ...

Ride dat solar wave as long as you can, da plants will love you back … so what month do you call da fat lady into sing?

Hab a great Friday and weekend \o/
Hey Ramon!  Sounds like you are finishing in style!  I'll try to grow out some seed from the Bahamian Goat 'bonnet pod'.  One never knows!

Our solar wave has hit a glitch - a little rain and clouds yesterday morning and today.  Should be back to at least partly to mostly sunny in a day or two.  Usually the fat lady has sung and we've all gone home by now, but the Fall just keeps on rollin'!

Hope you had a good weekend, bud.

Devv said:
Nice work Paul!

Pics are fantastic as usual.

Hoping the weather hangs in there a bit longer, mines hanging in there, 60's at night and high 70's to low 80's during the day. Finally seeing the first sign of color on the supers..I think they'll make it!

Enjoy the weekend!
All right, glad to hear your supers are coloring up - good luck bringing them home, my friend!  We have warmed up to low 40's at night and highs in 50's - greenhouse still keeping nights at 50˚ or a little more, and if there is a sun break, could hit high 70's and low 80's during the day.  That is unusual. though.  When winter really sets in, the temps will be pretty even at 50-55 degrees.  Not perfect, but the plants can live through it, sort of.  I did put a shop light in the greenhouse with two 6500K tubes to augment the light a bit.  Haven't tried that before.  Will have to get a night pic - looks pretty cool!

Have a good week, Scott!

I have some grow shelf pics to post if someone is checking in...  Thanks!

You got the bump brother... Let's see those grow shelf pics. nice racks you've got drying!   Interesting how the intensity of the Autumn sun seems to bleach the Peach pods. Hope your season has a little more to run... we had our first killing frost on Thursday night, so we're done here. Cheers!

PaulG said:
 Usually the fat lady has sung and we've all gone home by now, but the Fall just keeps on rollin'!

Ain't it so.  We're already a week past average first frost here and there's nothing predicted for the next 12 days at least.  Some of my in-grounds got their tops singed with a very light frost a few mornings ago, but otherwise everything is full steam ahead.

stickman said:
You got the bump brother... Let's see those grow shelf pics. nice racks you've got drying!   Interesting how the intensity of the Autumn sun seems to bleach the Peach pods. Hope your season has a little more to run... we had our first killing frost on Thursday night, so we're done here. Cheers!
Thanks, Rick!  Have you had the same thing happen to your peach varieties?  Maybe I'm not crazy, after all   :crazy:

We are forecast for lows around 30˚F tomorrow night, 37˚ tonight.  I pulled the
ripening pods off of the Orange and Red Habs and the Giant White Hab today.
 A buddy who works in a tomato warehouse is going to put them in the gas room
for me - will be cool to see if it works.  I took pics today, will post them later.

Okay,  to the grow shelf.  I needed to transplant out of the red cups, but didn't want
to go to gallons due to height restrictions.  So I rolled the tops down on some Root
Pouches to make pots that are about 5 times the volume of the red cups (disclaimer:
eyeball calculation   ;) )  By planting the root balls deep, I was able to minimize the
height gain due to transplanting.  I imagine the growth will slow as they accommodate
to their new containers.  I had to put a couple of plants in the greenhouse due to space
issues. All the Ajis and Goat's Weed plants were pinched - the first on 9/28, and then the
others over a two week or so span as they grew too tall one by one.

First, here is a look at a typical rootball.  These plants have been in the red cups
basically since Aug 15-17, so let's say they are 73 days old at this point:
_DSC0651a_zpsd8730a0f.jpg

The roots teased out a little for planting.  I was more aggressive on the rest of the root balls.  When I poked
at the soil, the roots would spring out.  They should just love some fresh Happy Frog/Ocean Forest mix!
_DSC0652a_zpsd317f62c.jpg

Goat's Weed trio.  The plant in the middle is from Shane's seed 2012, the others from my 2012 harvest.  They
have been getting low strength fish oil every watering up to now, but I'm starting them on the full strength routine
now that they are in basically 3/4 (750 ml) gallon pots:
_DSC0653a_zpseb1effa7.jpg

A pair of Yellow Ajis.  Left, from Peruvian market seed, hence Aji Amarillo PM.  
On the right Aji Amarillo from Pepper Gal:
_DSC0654a_zps73c1252a.jpg

Wild Texas Tepins, from THSC 2012:
_DSC0655a_zpsa82b1b7d.jpg

Another Peruvian Market Aji, and an Orange Manzano from Shane 2012.  I put another Market Aji and
two Manzanos into the greenhouse.  We'll see how they do.  
_DSC0656a_zps87f54059.jpg

Okay, gotta go sort seeds.  At least no de-seeding today!  Rain showers and sun breaks all afternoon,
but I can see major blue sky abroad!  Tomorrow should be a good day to pull the pods off the plants
before freezing.  May have to send them to the gas chamber, too!

Hey guys, sorry I missed your posts - the wind blew something down so had to go check.  No big deal.
Sawyer said:

Ain't it so.  We're already a week past average first frost here and there's nothing predicted for the next 12 days at least.  Some of my in-grounds got their tops singed with a very light frost a few mornings ago, but otherwise everything is full steam ahead.
Hope that 12-dy forecast holds for you, buddy!  Glad that the frost damage
was minimal, maybe that will signal the plants to really get it in gear!

Devv said:
Nice to hear the weather is staying warmer for 'yall

Our average frost is late November, I should just make it.
Our median frost date is October 29, so we are almost exactly there!  
If we get a frost and then the weather holds, maybe we'll get a nice Indian Summer.

Have a good week, fellas.

Nice! You got the jump on me this year brother... The OB report looks stellar. I'm trying to figure out how much light is just enough to keep my OW plants alive until I "give 'em the gas" sometime around the end of January... do you have any thoughts on that?

My neighbor/buddy is taking these to the tomato warehouse tomorrow to put in the
gas chamber to ripen up.  I've never sent pods to the gas chamber before, that seems
a little extreme   :shocked:  They should ripen nicely since they are already in the process
of ripening.  Ripening outdoors has slowed to a snail's pace.  I think the end of the
season is within 24 hours!

A bowl of Red Habaneros:
_DSC0664a_zpsc57ef95b.jpg

Orange Habaneros:
_DSC0663a_zps67ab3977.jpg

And some Giant White Habaneros:
_DSC0665a_zps712f9e1f.jpg

Okay.  We should know by Friday how things proceeded.  If this works, it will have
saved a ton of pods, and we will go ahead and gas the rest, too!  Stay tuned, folks.
Tomorrow I am going to be pulling pods from the other plants to avoid freezing temps
predicted for tomorrow night.  Only 36 for tonight!  That's too bad, it was nice having
a few nights in the low 40's    ;)   Maybe we will dodge the bullet, but at this point, I
don't think it matters much.

stickman said:
Nice! You got the jump on me this year brother... The OB report looks stellar. I'm trying to figure out how much light is just enough to keep my OW plants alive until I "give 'em the gas" sometime around the end of January... do you have any thoughts on that?
Hey, bro!  I missed your post!  Jeez, blind as well!  I'm shooting in the
dark with respect to lighting the OW's.  I'm just going to have the light
on from 7 am to 8-9 pm at first.  I have no idea if that is too much or
little.  All I want is enough so they will just kind of hang in there.  Last
year some made it, and I didn't have a light hooked up.  We'll see. It
may create a bunch of schizoid plants   :scared:

Paul even if they're not ripe yet I see awesome colors, great pulls you've had lately. Will be interested to see the pics after the gas chamber and time they are in ... minutes or hours.

Hab a great week mon!

WalkGood said:
Paul even if they're not ripe yet I see awesome colors, great pulls you've had lately. Will be interested to see the pics after the gas chamber and time they are in ... minutes or hours.

Hab a great week mon!
Hey, Ramon!  My buddy said it should take a few days - the tomatoes
usually ripen in 3-4 days.  I will definitely post the after pics when we
see how they turn out.  Should be kind of like Christmas in October!

Beautiful Paul,
You've got both the grow and the photo thing down pat. I like the effort you've given in both the last two seasons. Your plants appear very healthy and the harvests look colorful...........throw me a foodie shot I 'm hungry !...........I do miss your take on the chopped pepper mixed into the food plating shots. The dishes always looked...delish !

romy6 said:
Paul your grow always amazes me .
By far the most colorful .
Hands down the  cleanest.  
And just a all around  joy to read :party:

Thank you  
Jamie, as usual, your are overly generous with your kind words; they are much
appreciated, thanks, buddy!  Always good to have one of the masters visit!

Speaking of masters...

PIC 1 said:
Beautiful Paul,
You've got both the grow and the photo thing down pat. I like the effort you've given in both the last two seasons. Your plants appear very healthy and the harvests look colorful...........throw me a foodie shot I 'm hungry !...........I do miss your take on the chopped pepper mixed into the food plating shots. The dishes always looked...delish !
Thanks Greg, you are too kind as well;  all this is still a work in progress!
Oddly enough, I haven't eaten much hot pepper lately.  Been on a weight loss
routine, so the comfort food sprinkled with pods and powders doesn't show up
on the menu as often; just about done, though, then watchala, gringo   :lol:

I just cleaned off the plants yeserday, leaving only green pods.  31˚F (-1˚C) last night, so didn;t want to take any chances.  With any luck these will go into the gas chamber in a day or two.  Until then they are outside in the cool temps in a paper bag.  Here are some before pics in case we get a chance to ripen these up.

Fatali x Red Savina:
_DSC0671a_zps1df0fc4e.jpg

Bahamian Goat:
_DSC0669a_zpsddc83e81.jpg

Bih Jolokia:
_DSC0667a_zps47fbd376.jpg

Naga Morich.  I see no difference between these and the BJs:
_DSC0668a_zps64552459.jpg

Bonda Ma Jacques:
_DSC0670a_zps8e58db4c.jpg

Scotch Bonnet TFM:
_DSC0666a_zps10d4dfce.jpg

Devil's Tongue:
_DSC0672a_zps859e6166.jpg

Jamaican Red Mushroom:
_DSC0673a_zpsb89ef018.jpg

Pulled these just barely turning light green/yellow Giant White Habs just in case.  
Almost all of these are Cardi Scorp looking pods:
_DSC0674a_zpsab7203f9.jpg

Okay, Thanks for checking in Greg and Jamie!  We should have some results on the first batch in a couple of days,
then will decide what to do with all these.  Hope they are going into the gas chamber!

Have a great week, everybody.

Oh no the gas chamber!

They look so cute and helpless...

Were they bad pods? ;)

Love the shelf shots, you're well on your way there Paul! And those pods are half way there already.

Absolutely b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l! :-)
My season suddenly ended with a frost of -6 Celsius a month ago, therefore it is so good to see these amazing late season pulls you have.
Keep us posted, pls! :-)

Back