• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

⌘ Spicegeist 2013 ⌘

Today we were walloped with a snowstorm in Southwest Virginia and since I was taking some pics of the snow I thought I'd also get started with sharing my pepper progress.

My 2013 selection:

C. chinense
Red Bhuts
Yellow Bhuts
Choco Bhuts
TS Morouga Blend
TS Butch T
7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Brain Strain
7 Pot Yellow
Choco Hab
Morado
Pimenta Morango
Yellow Congo
Pimenta da Neyde
Cumari do Para

C. annuum
Sonoran Chiltepin
Vietnamese Tear Jerker
Peruvian Wild
Armac Chiltepin

C. galapagoense
sp.

C. chacoense
CAP 501

C. praetermissum
Cumari Pollux

C. baccatum
Uba Tuba

C. frutescens
Indiana Pequin
Duke Pequin
Donne Sali
Ekirike
Guam Boonie
Aji Chuncho
Piri Piri
Lotabih
Tabasco

C. parvifolium
sp.

C. pubescens
Rocoto Inca
Dino Pod

Crosses
Choco Bhut x Douglah F1
Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut F1
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1
Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1
CAP 501 (C. chacoense) x C. chinense F1
Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F1 and F2
Douglah x Butch T
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Cumari Pollux (C. praetermissum) F1
Locato x CGN19198
Florida Wild x C. chinense F1
Duke Pequin x Pimenta da Neyde
Duke Pequin x Bhut
Wiri Wiri x Bhut

Outside today:
IMG_20130117_165927.jpg

Pots for later on:
IMG_20130117_170321.jpg

Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F2... I wasn't counting on purple being so dominant here, will have to pick a few from these to grow out:
IMG_20130117_172447.jpg

Here are some of my 2013 treasures.

I was able to start four C. galapagoenses (they didn't all come up on the same date):
IMG_20130117_172339.jpg

IMG_20130117_173029.jpg

IMG_20130117_172955.jpg

IMG_20130117_172903.jpg

Some special crosses I made in 2011:

Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173255.jpg

Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut Jolokia (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173357.jpg

Update time... the air has been warming up and I've been doing the old bring 'em in bring 'em out as the temps fluctuate, a labor of love:

The glorious C. galapagoense:

Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1, some fruit:

Florida Wild fruit developing, I don't know it looks a little different, may have crossed (I have another Florida Wild that is definitely a cross):

Overwintered Pimenta Morango getting going:

Leaves on my C. chacoense x Bhut:

My Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F2:

Very nice, Charles! I know I keep saying it, but those are just some crazy, outlandish crosses. I love it! Great skill getting the C. galap to not only germ and grow, but to pod, as well. Congrats and respect!

Very nice, Charles! I know I keep saying it, but those are just some crazy, outlandish crosses. I love it! Great skill getting the C. galap to not only germ and grow, but to pod, as well. Congrats and respect!

Thanks Doc, I had a few that didn't make it to that point, this one just really wanted to grow... definitely a keeper. I have a few other crosses I didn't take pics of this time that are doing really well too...

a few of your crosses...

naga x siomi (sjomi) couldnt read your writing..

fatalii..x chocolate bhut BROWN

fatalii x choco bhut YELLOW

This is awesome, thanks for posting the pics! I am very curious to see how the fruit turn out, if they will continue to be yellow and brown, they are unstable, you are at F3 with these plants... when I grew the yellow it was very distinctly yellow not yellow-orange like a lot of "yellows" out there (not that there's anything wrong with an orange pepper mind you). I wrote Naga Suomi, it is a Naga Morich from Finland (Suomi = Finland in Finnish), it grew different from the other Naga Morichs I was growing and I wanted to keep track of it... but if it is a cross, I forget which, if you have a pic of my writing I can decipher, otherwise we know 100% where 50% of the genes are from ;) .

It's all happening, Charles! Poddage! :onfire:

I so better see some C. galap. pods of my own this year! :snooty: The ones I grew two years ago both died on me (short story... imbeciles above me at the place I was living decided to wash their patio and where did they push all their soapy water??). Just put down my first lot of seeds a couple weeks ago, including more Galaps, so fingers-crossed!

Still have yet to put down your Fatalii x Choco Bhuts... but all in good time. I reckon they might just make the next round... ;)

It's all happening, Charles! Poddage! :onfire:

I so better see some C. galap. pods of my own this year! :snooty: The ones I grew two years ago both died on me (short story... imbeciles above me at the place I was living decided to wash their patio and where did they push all their soapy water??). Just put down my first lot of seeds a couple weeks ago, including more Galaps, so fingers-crossed!

Still have yet to put down your Fatalii x Choco Bhuts... but all in good time. I reckon they might just make the next round... ;)

Oh no! That is a horrible story. I have also had some bad luck with galapas, for instance one I was overwintering just decided to die one day for no apparent reason, it just withered up, the leaves fell off and that was that :eh:

The update continues...

Locato x CGN 19198:

Two Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut F1:

Two Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain F1:

Another one of my C. chacoense x Bhut F1 plants:

Piri-Piri:

Labuya about to branch out and flower:

Donne Sali wants to flower:

Perlite mulch... that's a new one! :lol: I take it that it all came to the surface (as perlite seems to do sometimes)?

Interesting how the C. chaco x C. chinense has taken on the C. chinense larger leaves... or does it just look that way in the photo?

Perlite mulch... that's a new one! :lol: I take it that it all came to the surface (as perlite seems to do sometimes)?

Interesting how the C. chaco x C. chinense has taken on the C. chinense larger leaves... or does it just look that way in the photo?

Haha, it is my unorthodox way of keeping my little squirrel neighbors from digging in the pots, they don't like the feel of the perlite and stay away for the most part. The chacoense x bhut crosses are interesting, they have larger leaves, certainly larger than the chacoense, but they tend to be dull like the chacoense. I have 4 of these growing and two of them actually have chacoense growth habits, while the two in the photos have more of a chinense look to them. I didn't take any pics of my Aji Cristal x C. praetermissum, but the two plants I have of these also look very different, both beautiful plants.

Here are some late starts that are also doing well.

Top row: Chiltepin Amarillo, Chintexle, Chiltepin Amarillo (different source)
Bottom row: Chiltepin Hermosillo, Chiltepin Armac, Chiltepin Guatemala

C. parvifolium:

This is what I'm talking about, just look at those Wilds... Looking good Charles.... Gonna have to get ahold of some Galapagoense seeds or pods...

This is what I'm talking about, just look at those Wilds... Looking good Charles.... Gonna have to get ahold of some Galapagoense seeds or pods...

I grew it last year, but it didn't really work out for me. This particular plant is very happy, if I can keep it alive and get those fruit to ripen I'll certainly try to keep it going...

I'm loving the C. parvifolium. I've been looking for seeds everywhere. Your selection of wilds is just fantastic

If it grows and produces fruit I can send some seed your way. It's a little bit of a mystery plant for me, I can't find much information about it.

If it grows and produces fruit I can send some seed your way. It's a little bit of a mystery plant for me, I can't find much information about it.

Oh man I'm gonna have to hold you to that. That would be awesome man.

There doesn't seem to be much information on them at all (not that I can find anyways)

Very cool man. I can't even say which ones I like, all those are just awesome.

I stay firm with that tepin X Barrackpore cross tho.

I'll try my luck with crossing this year ( This is my first year BUT I MUST TRY :D)

I'll send you some seed, if you'll be interested in growing them.

, Vegas

Back